Need Help Choosing A Moderate Hotel In Wdw

sandy92620

We are a family of 4 (two boys 8 & 13) traveling to WDW in October. We usually stay at deluxe-type hotels. However..when I priced out the deluxe hotels/vacation club resorts they were really high! We really wanted a separate bedroom...everyone just sleeps much better...but still wanted a nice resort and location. Sooo I think we might go with a moderate resort and book two connecting rooms. A king bed in one and maybe two doubles in the other. However between French Quarter, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach I can not decide. I have read countless reviews on all properties and some love them and some don't. I really just want the nicest resort I can get at the moderate level pricing. Really clean and maybe recently renovated rooms, great pool area, nice grounds, good transportation and decent food choices. I know you'll probably say go to a deluxe resort but to get a separate room it costs too many $$$$. It will be about $1,000 less if we get the two rooms at a moderate resort. Any recommendations from someone just returning from a trip?? Thanks for your replies!!:)

jonesenon4

we have stayed at all the moderate resorts so ill give my observations. pofq is the smallest and most compact and easiest to get around in,also the boat to dtd is wonderful as is the pool and grounds.coronado springs and cbr are very large resorts and it takes awhile to get anywhere ie food ,bus stop whatever.however the food and choices are much better here.but i will say you cant go wrong with either choice you make it all depends on what you want.where ever you stay have a wonderful time.:sohappy: ill be back sept 24 06 counting down days already.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hands down Port Orleans ,either French quarter or Riverside, are the best of the moderates.

Another option you might want to consider are the Value Suites. They are priced around the $160-$180 per night range and will give you the extra room you are accustomed to.

Yet another option would be renting DVC points from another DVC member. From what I have heard you can get a suite or a one bed room for about the same price as the Value Suite.

Upvote 0

bears163

we stayed in CSR 2 years ago & loved every minute of it. we went in september. not many people were around. it was great. loved the pool & the place looks great at night.

Upvote 0

HoW

I would also go with the Port Orlean Resorts. We stay at FQ regularly. Everything, from the pool to food to parks to DTD, are close by. And the atmosphere is quiet, yet festive, at the same time.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I vote for Port Orleans. Riverside may be the best bet for the boys. They have a huge arcade, bike rentals, boat rentals, a nice big playground, not to mention Ole Man Island swimming hole and the 5 quiet pools that are located around the property. They have a food court and a sit down restaurant. You can get 2 standard view rooms and be quite comfortable.

If you want to discuss all of your options, please feel free to contact me either by e-mail pam@kingdomkonsultant.com or by phone toll free @ 1-866-566-7858.

Pam

Upvote 0

s2jrston

I stayed at POR last MLK weekend. While the resort is probably the best of the moderates the room was very bland and uncomfortable. Why not stay at the cheapest of the deluxe hotels. There is a deluxe hotel that is within walking distance of two parks, has boat transportation to two parks, very comfortable rooms, excellent restaurants on-site and within walking distance of several others and costs about half of what the other deluxe resorts cost. Try the Swan and Dolphin. You'll be more comfortable, closer to the parks and have everything that you can get at a deluxe resort. You should be able to get a room for less than $200 a night and sleep in a recently upgraded room with a "Heavenly Bed."

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
The only probelm with staying at the Swan and Dolphin, they are not included in a lot of the Disney promotions. They are only for Disney owned and operated hotels.

Pam

Upvote 0

justducky78

Of the moderates, we've only stayed at Caribbean Beach (10 yrs ago) but we really liked it. It feels really tropical and it's spread out so you don't notice the other guests. You can rent water mice and they have a nice food court. We only used the quiet pool near our room, but it was great for us, as we preferred the quiet! The rooms are also rather big.

I would also recommend renting the DVC points. We've researched it quite a bit and it looks like such a great deal!

Upvote 0

MagicPorcupine

Moderate Resorts

Hasn't anyone anything good to say about CBR? I have booked for this resort this year having previously stayed in value resorts because I liked the sound of the "sandy beach" and the pedal boats etc. But now I'm reading quite a lot of comments about CBR being too spread out and it taking ages to get around it, and to and from the food courts. Bearing in mind my reservation is for early August, would it be too late to swap to another resort? Or am I just panicking about nothing?

Upvote 0

cdunbar

Hey look Im like 18 days out and I just jumped from a value to a deluxe today as a birthday surprise from my parents.:kiss: So no I don't think its too late.

Upvote 0

Kadee

MagicPorcupine said:
Hasn't anyone anything good to say about CBR? I have booked for this resort this year having previously stayed in value resorts because I liked the sound of the "sandy beach" and the pedal boats etc. But now I'm reading quite a lot of comments about CBR being too spread out and it taking ages to get around it, and to and from the food courts. Bearing in mind my reservation is for early August, would it be too late to swap to another resort? Or am I just panicking about nothing?

No, you can change. If the person you get on the phone isn't cooperative, just call back. As with a lot of things, it all depends on who you talk to. Now, those "sandy beaches" are really a joke. And it is VERY spread out. I MUCH prefer POR. MUCH MUCH MUCH Prefer POR! The food court at CB is no where near as good as POR. The grounds are nice at CB, but doesn't hold a candle to POR. POR is just breathtaking. The rooms are nice.....other than the decor, they are just like CB, so the room you get will be the same (it may be a tad bigger at CB....I think I remember reading that somewhere), but POR has much nicer areas to enjoy.

To the OP: I'd choose POR. In fact, I DID! I'm leaving in just under 3 weeks!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

patelaine1953

From what everyone has said about Carribean Beach, it seems to be somewhat spread out; and Coronado Springs is a convention site so you would probably see more large business groups and such. We have stayed at French Quarter in two separate rooms. They did not have a connecting door but they were side by side. French Quarter is a smaller resort with fewer rooms than the other moderate resorts and we found that suited us. No long walks just to get to the front desk or pool.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

If you look up previous threads I think POR and POFQ always win out in these debates. I would take the advice of the majority as the people on this website have a lot of Disney knowledge and experience.

Upvote 0

MarkeyMouse

Try the new Allstar suites

Maybe you should look into the New Allstar suites they look very roomy and seem to be cheaper, I've seenpictures on a few web sites, There is a bedroom with a queen bed and the den has plenty of room for up to 4 children (thats what the pics show) Check it out looks like fun! Happy Planning to you all:wave:

Upvote 0

captcanada

Port Orleans Riverside. Where I've stayed the last few times I've been. I've done little walking tours of some others...(curiosity got the best of me)...But...POR keeps calling me back.
I MUCH prefer the Masion house rooms, as opposed to the Alligator Byou (or however it's spelt).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom