Need Help Choosing A Moderate Hotel In Wdw

sandy92620

We are a family of 4 (two boys 8 & 13) traveling to WDW in October. We usually stay at deluxe-type hotels. However..when I priced out the deluxe hotels/vacation club resorts they were really high! We really wanted a separate bedroom...everyone just sleeps much better...but still wanted a nice resort and location. Sooo I think we might go with a moderate resort and book two connecting rooms. A king bed in one and maybe two doubles in the other. However between French Quarter, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach I can not decide. I have read countless reviews on all properties and some love them and some don't. I really just want the nicest resort I can get at the moderate level pricing. Really clean and maybe recently renovated rooms, great pool area, nice grounds, good transportation and decent food choices. I know you'll probably say go to a deluxe resort but to get a separate room it costs too many $$$$. It will be about $1,000 less if we get the two rooms at a moderate resort. Any recommendations from someone just returning from a trip?? Thanks for your replies!!:)

JC03

As everyone else has said, the Port Orleans hotels are definitely the best of the moderates. However, my theory now is either spend enough money to stay at a Deluxe, or drop down to a Value. To me, the Moderates are not that much better than Pop Century for the money, and I would never stay at Coronado or Carribean Beach again. I would prefer to save the extra money for something else (however, the boat service from Port Orleans to DTD is nice!).

Upvote 0

mhead

JC03 said:
As everyone else has said, the Port Orleans hotels are definitely the best of the moderates. However, my theory now is either spend enough money to stay at a Deluxe, or drop down to a Value. To me, the Moderates are not that much better than Pop Century for the money, and I would never stay at Coronado or Carribean Beach again. I would prefer to save the extra money for something else (however, the boat service from Port Orleans to DTD is nice!).

Port Orleans Riverside! We have been at all the moderates and this is our favorite - in fact it is my wife's favorite on property. The others are not bad but POR is top vote getter! In fact, in order, our ranking of mods would be:

1.POR
2.CSR
3.CBR
4.POFQ

I would disagree with moving down to a value - on paper it may not look like much difference but as we recently went back to a value we found that the moderates were much better - two sinks and a little more square footage make a much bigger difference than you would think!

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

MagicPorcupine said:
Hasn't anyone anything good to say about CBR? I have booked for this resort this year having previously stayed in value resorts because I liked the sound of the "sandy beach" and the pedal boats etc. But now I'm reading quite a lot of comments about CBR being too spread out and it taking ages to get around it, and to and from the food courts. Bearing in mind my reservation is for early August, would it be too late to swap to another resort? Or am I just panicking about nothing?

I don't want to dis CBR, but I would change it to one of the Port Orleans, if you can. We have stayed at all three, but just got back from CBR. If I could have moved from CBR to PO while I was there, I would have. There is nothing "wrong" with CBR--it just doesn't have the feel of either of the POs. While it is beautiful, it really is huge. I personally don't want to spend my vacation hiking for a cup of coffee. :)

Upvote 0

doc_holiday3500

MagicPorcupine said:
Hasn't anyone anything good to say about CBR? I have booked for this resort this year having previously stayed in value resorts because I liked the sound of the "sandy beach" and the pedal boats etc. But now I'm reading quite a lot of comments about CBR being too spread out and it taking ages to get around it, and to and from the food courts. Bearing in mind my reservation is for early August, would it be too late to swap to another resort? Or am I just panicking about nothing?

In my opinion you have nothing to worry about. My wife and I stayed at CBR for our Honeymoon and loved it. If you request one of the buildings close to Port Royale you really won't have far to walk, and each building/area has their own private pool which was great to take advantage of. We have stayed at POFQ as well and we also loved it.

I think if you remember it's a vacation and you go to have fun you'll enjoy it wherever you are.

Upvote 0

RedBaron

Of the moderates I have only stayed at POFQ, and have stayed there 4 times to be exact. We loved it there. The grounds are beautiful and there is not a lot of hiking to the bus or food court. The room was roomy and I thought the decor was nice. It is not over the top, but well themed and pleasant. The pool is great with a slide and was never really crouded when we were there. Dont think you are missing out on something because you are not staying at a deluxe. I have stayed at a few of those as well. I hated the Contemporary and would not go back. (Loved the wilderness lodge though). I have not stayed in a value resort, but unless you plan on spending a lot of time doing things at the hotel like swimming or dining, you may want to consider the option. For me the resort only serves as a place to get my breakfest in the morning and a place to fall asleep at night, maybe a 1/2 day at the pool if I need a break. Im sure you will enjoy any of the resorts.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

doc_holiday3500 said:
In my opinion you have nothing to worry about. My wife and I stayed at CBR for our Honeymoon and loved it. If you request one of the buildings close to Port Royale you really won't have far to walk, and each building/area has their own private pool which was great to take advantage of. We have stayed at POFQ as well and we also loved it.

I think if you remember it's a vacation and you go to have fun you'll enjoy it wherever you are.
I do agree that if you can get into a building close to Port Royale, then CBR would be equal to Port Orleans. The distance is really my only complaint about it. :)

Upvote 0

blackerbys17

Well, a couple of people here have suggested the new value suites and they have got my vote too! I just came back from staying in them and they are grrrrreat! The problem with getting connecting rooms is that it is never a guarantee. (JPVonDrake, correct me if I am wrong.) I don't know how old your kids are, but I don't trust mine in a room by themselves, they are too young. Maybe when they are teenagers.

The suite was perfect for us. Hubby and I got a private bedroom with a very comfy queen size bed and a 27" TV. We also had our own bathroom since the suites have 2 bathrooms. The living area has a sleeper sofa that feels JUST like a real bed that slept 2, a chair that turned into a twin size bed, and an ottoman that also turned into a twin size bed. So, in total, you could comfortable sleep 6 people in that room plus an infant in a "crib". The room also had a small table with 2 chairs to eat at and another TV in the living area. The kitchen with microwave and fridge were a lifesaver! Mind you, I don't really like the value resorts, mostly cause I didn't like Pop Century, too spreadout for my taste. But the All Star Music Family Suites were just right!

Upvote 0

agdbeanie

In my opinion Port Orleans French Quarter should be dubbed the "Moderate Resort that is Most Likely to be a Deluxe." Strictly for the theming which results in really nice room furnishings etc. I know some of the amenities are not the same, but when you're looking to save money and still want a really nice place this is the way to go:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom