Need Breakfast/Dinner Advice

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just booked our air travel, and with an earlier outbound flight and a later return flight than I expected, I now have time for dinner on the day we arrive, and breakfast on our departure day! :D

I thought it would be nice to try out two new restaurants, so...

Dinner: Citricos or Narcoossee's or Kona Cafe?

Breakfast: Kona, Ohana, or the Wave? (we love the Wave for dinner, never been for breakfast)

Couple of planning notes:
  1. Chef Mickey's is not available for breakfast, otherwise that would have been a no-brainer (even though we are two adults, no children!). ;)
  2. I am not that fond of cooked bananas, so probably would not go for Tonga Toast :oops: (I know that's a big draw at Kona, so if it was out of the picture--then how strongly would you recommend Kona for breakfast?)
Thanks for the advice!!

NYwdwfan

Ohana breakfast was fantastic the day we were there. Family style, at the table, lots of sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc. Stuffing myself without having to get up for more? Sign me up!! :D

Narcoosees is one of our favorite dinners. Elegant, great menu, beautiful view. I would definitely recommend it.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Ohana breakfast was fantastic the day we were there. Family style, at the table, lots of sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc. Stuffing myself without having to get up for more? Sign me up!! :D

Narcoosees is one of our favorite dinners. Elegant, great menu, beautiful view. I would definitely recommend it.

I love Ohana..never had their breakfast...although I love the idea of all that breakfast deliciouness being brought to me family style. The main reason i've never gone for breakfast?? I don't think I could enjoy my self with Stitch eyeballing me.............

Agree with Narcoosees - Visited last year and had a great meal (with an awesome view) for our anniversary.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Just booked our air travel, and with an earlier outbound flight and a later return flight than I expected, I now have time for dinner on the day we arrive, and breakfast on our departure day! :D

I thought it would be nice to try out two new restaurants, so...

Dinner: Citricos or Narcoossee's or Kona Cafe?

Breakfast: Kona, Ohana, or the Wave? (we love the Wave for dinner, never been for breakfast)

Couple of planning notes:
  1. Chef Mickey's is not available for breakfast, otherwise that would have been a no-brainer (even though we are two adults, no children!). ;)
  2. I am not that fond of cooked bananas, so probably would not go for Tonga Toast :oops: (I know that's a big draw at Kona, so if it was out of the picture--then how strongly would you recommend Kona for breakfast?)
Thanks for the advice!!

For breakfast I'd def go for Ohana if akona is out of the question, great family style grub, a fantastic juice and the characters are always brilliant, a family Fave for us :D

The Incredible Schmulk

I'm pretty much equally indifferent to your three breakfast choices, but if you pressed me, I'd probably choose the Wave. I'm not a fan of family style or character dining, so 'Ohana would be out for me, and I was underwhelmed by Kona. I didn't think the Wave had a very good breakfast on our first visit, but that was long ago now, and their menu was improved vastly since then. I'd be willing to give them another go before I would Kona.

As for dinner, Citricos is easily the best restaurant on that list. If it's in the running, that's the one I'd choose. Narcoosee's is an interesting choice, though, now that it's under a new head chef, and Kona does have a few truly awesome dishes on their dinner menu. You'd be perfectly fine at any of them. Like I said, though, Citricos is a cut above, and the service is definitely signature level.

DisneyDebNJ

Both Kona and Ohana are must dos every trip. Ohana, as others have explained, is family style and actually quite good. Kona, is always our first meal (breakfast) during every stay. The Big Kahuna is literally big enough for two. The ham and cheese omelette is fluffy and HUGE! Either/or are terrific choices for breakfast. Narcoossee's is wonderful, simply wonderful.

DisneyDebNJ

For me the two best breakfasts on property are:

Plated - Kona
Food pics http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Kona-Cafe/Gallery/06Nov2009-Kona-Cafe-breakfast.htm

Buffet - Boma
Food pics http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Boma-Flavors-of-Africa/Gallery/21Oct2010-Boma-Breakfast.htm

The Wave was an absolute disaster for me, quite possibly the worst Disney dining experience I've had.
actually, trying Boma for breakfast for the first time this year, really looking forward to it!! And Kona, is always a definate :)

Crush Dude!

Plated - Kona
Food pics http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Kona-Cafe/Gallery/06Nov2009-Kona-Cafe-breakfast.htm

Buffet - Boma
Food pics http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Boma-Flavors-of-Africa/Gallery/21Oct2010-Boma-Breakfast.htm

The Wave was an absolute disaster for me, quite possibly the worst Disney dining experience I've had.
actually, trying Boma for breakfast for the first time this year, really looking forward to it!! And Kona, is always a definate :)

Cant wait to try Kona for the first time this year :D

And after those pics Boma is now on the list for breakfast next time, thanks Steve ;)

Bolna

To answer your question of Kona if you don't want the Tonga Toast: I had the macadamia nut pancakes and they were absolutely delicious. Also, Kona serves a press pot with a Kona Blend, so you have an option of something else than standard Disney coffee is this is something you are interested in.

I always liked Kona for dinner, but it is not a signature restaurant and certainly has a very different atmosphere than Narcossee's or Citricos. I would most likely pick Kona as I found Narcossee's menu not that appealing and our one visit there was ok, but not outstanding as I would expect for the price. I have never been to Citricos.

Oh and I agree with Steve that Boma is the best buffet breakfast on property!

HouCuseChickie

Based on our experience, I wouldn't do 'Ohana breakfast w/o children. The food when we went was not good. The waffles were like hockey pucks they were so hard, the sausage kept coming out raw, and the eggs were slimy. We had great service and wonderful character interaction, but the food was disappointing.

I'd still probably push for Kona for breakfast if you've got a sweet tooth. While I think I'd like Tonga Toast, the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes keep calling to me. The reality, there is more on The Wave's breakfast menu that appeals to me (since I'm not always a big sweet tooth kind of person)...smoked salmon, eggs benedict, egg white fritata, spinach tomato and feta scramble...YES PLEASE!!!:D

As for dinner, Citrico's is the only one on that list that has ever really appealed to me. I'm still debating about making it my first night meal if we add a day.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster

I love Ohana..never had their breakfast...although I love the idea of all that breakfast deliciouness being brought to me family style. The main reason i've never gone for breakfast?? I don't think I could enjoy my self with Stitch eyeballing me.............

Agree with Narcoosees - Visited last year and had a great meal (with an awesome view) for our anniversary.

Thank you both...I didn't realize that Ohana was family-style, which is I suppose a step up from a buffet for a light eater like me. I never get my money's worth at a breakfast buffet (I don't mind, usually, because buffets generally have characters ;)). Sausage, bacon and eggs are three of my husbands four food groups, so that'll be a point in its favor for him.

I love seafood, so Narcoosees definitely appeals to me.

Oh, and @ShookieJones, I could take Stitch over breakfast, but I think the frozen-featured, giant-headed Lilo is just a bit spooky...:p

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
For breakfast I'd def go for Ohana if akona is out of the question, great family style grub, a fantastic juice and the characters are always brilliant, a family Fave for us :D

Another vote for 'Ohana for breakfast. Heck I'd go just for the juice! :)

Kona's not out of the question, necessarily, I know everyone loves the Tonga Toast and was just curious if the rest of the menu was as good. Now that you both mentioned the juice, I remember reading about it in trip reports. POG, right? Do they only serve that at Ohana? Since both Ohana and Kona are in the Polynesian, do they both serve the juice, I wonder?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty much equally indifferent to your three breakfast choices, but if you pressed me, I'd probably choose the Wave. I'm not a fan of family style or character dining, so 'Ohana would be out for me, and I was underwhelmed by Kona. I didn't think the Wave had a very good breakfast on our first visit, but that was long ago now, and their menu was improved vastly since then. I'd be willing to give them another go before I would Kona.

As for dinner, Citricos is easily the best restaurant on that list. If it's in the running, that's the one I'd choose. Narcoosee's is an interesting choice, though, now that it's under a new head chef, and Kona does have a few truly awesome dishes on their dinner menu. You'd be perfectly fine at any of them. Like I said, though, Citricos is a cut above, and the service is definitely signature level.

Based on our experience, I wouldn't do 'Ohana breakfast w/o children. The food when we went was not good. The waffles were like hockey pucks they were so hard, the sausage kept coming out raw, and the eggs were slimy. We had great service and wonderful character interaction, but the food was disappointing.

I'd still probably push for Kona for breakfast if you've got a sweet tooth. While I think I'd like Tonga Toast, the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes keep calling to me. The reality, there is more on The Wave's breakfast menu that appeals to me (since I'm not always a big sweet tooth kind of person)...smoked salmon, eggs benedict, egg white fritata, spinach tomato and feta scramble...YES PLEASE!!!:D

As for dinner, Citrico's is the only one on that list that has ever really appealed to me. I'm still debating about making it my first night meal if we add a day.

Interesting takes on breakfast, thanks! I don't mind character dining (I'm just a big child--well, I'm not even that big, really, my 13yo niece has equalled me in height), but family style for a party of two may be overkill (as in, allowing my husband to eat all those sausages and bacon might kill him!). @HouCuse Chickie, WOW on the Wave breakfast menu, that all looks sooo good!!! If there's no sausage and bacon, though, chances of getting the other half there are slim...unfortunately, lovely healthy breakfast food holds no interest for him. :(

I was just re-reading Citricos' menu, and am drooling over it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
Both Kona and Ohana are must dos every trip. Ohana, as others have explained, is family style and actually quite good. Kona, is always our first meal (breakfast) during every stay. The Big Kahuna is literally big enough for two. The ham and cheese omelette is fluffy and HUGE! Either/or are terrific choices for breakfast. Narcoossee's is wonderful, simply wonderful.

Thanks!! I was drawn to the omelette when I looked over the menu, and the Big Kahuna is right up the alley of my Big Kahuna. ;)

To answer your question of Kona if you don't want the Tonga Toast: I had the macadamia nut pancakes and they were absolutely delicious. Also, Kona serves a press pot with a Kona Blend, so you have an option of something else than standard Disney coffee is this is something you are interested in.

I always liked Kona for dinner, but it is not a signature restaurant and certainly has a very different atmosphere than Narcossee's or Citricos. I would most likely pick Kona as I found Narcossee's menu not that appealing and our one visit there was ok, but not outstanding as I would expect for the price. I have never been to Citricos.

Oh and I agree with Steve that Boma is the best buffet breakfast on property!

Thank you, great to know about the Kona Coffee, we definitely like good coffee. I thought Kona's dinner menu was certainly interesting, and we are not hung up on signature dining. If I do Kona for breakfast, I'll probably leave dinner there for another trip, but I absolutely would like to add both meals at Kona to my list of "been there, done that", hopefully "going back", too! Although I don't think I've ever been to any WDW restaurant where I've come out saying I would not go back.

Crush Dude!

Interesting takes on breakfast, thanks! I don't mind character dining (I'm just a big child--well, I'm not even that big, really, my 13yo niece has equalled me in height), but family style for a party of two may be overkill (as in, allowing my husband to eat all those sausages and bacon might kill him!). @HouCuse Chickie, WOW on the Wave breakfast menu, that all looks sooo good!!! If there's no sausage and bacon, though, chances of getting the other half there are slim...unfortunately, lovely healthy breakfast food holds no interest for him. :(

Cannot wait for Citricos' :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster

Plated - Kona

Buffet - Boma

Crikey, it must have been bad for you to use "disaster" and "Disney" in the same sentence! Was that disaster at the Wave dinner or breakfast? I've always enjoyed my meals there, but have to admit that sometimes my dining companions haven't been as fortunate, and the last time I ate dinner there (six weeks ago), didn't quite measure up to all the times before.

I would try Boma for either breakfast or dinner. The food is incredible. Best buffet on property hands down.

Thanks, it would be more than I could do this trip to get my husband to try Boma. He is a picky eater, and a plain eater (or, just a plain ol' picky eater!!) I see from the photo gallery that they do have "regular" breakfast food at Boma, so it may be something I can work him up to eventually.

Curious, since you both consider Boma the best breakfast buffet on property--what makes it the best?

The Incredible Schmulk

Well, I think Kona sounds like the best pick of the three for your tastes and family. No characters, but the menu should satisfy all and you'll still be in the Polynesian lobby, which I imagine will also be a bit of a hit.

Now, if you asked me what my favorite breakfast on property is, I would say Kouzzina, hands down. That turkey and sweet potato hash that they serve is a thing of breakfast perfection, especially when you get it with two poached eggs and a side of their delicious chicken sausage. They also make a pretty fantastic Bloody Mary, if that's your thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom