Need advice for stepping off Disney buses

kbmum

Original Poster
I'm planning our 2014 trip and need some help for my mother. She's in her 70s and in good health, but often has trouble stepping off Disney buses. If the bus driver lowers the side of the bus to minimize the distance between the last step and the ground, we're fine. If the driver doesn't do this or the bus doesn't have that feature, she ends up hurting her ankle when she steps down. It isn't an immediate injury, but one that starts off as an aggravation and gets worse over time. By the time we're halfway through the trip, her ankle is swollen and she's hobbling around with a cane. We've even had to get a wheelchair during one trip a few years ago. She has seen her doctor about this and the only advice was to stay off her feet as much as possible, use ice and wrap the ankle in a bandage.

Since prevention is the best cure, I'd like to find a way to avoid the whole situation. We'll be staying at the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower, so we only need the bus to go to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios (and maybe Downtown Disney). I've looked for a portable, foldable step stool, but they're too bulky and heavy to tote around. My husband has offered to pick her up and lower her down to the ground, but she's kind of mortified by that idea and worried that it might hurt her back or my husband's. Any suggestions?

Mukta

Your poor Mom! I feel so bad for her that this is happening.

Disney is currently changing their buses. I don't know if they new ones would be better for her or not.

You can take cabs everywhere instead of the buses. That is what I do for the most part. $15 here and there so that she doesn't have to suffer.

Maybe your family can stay seated in the bus until everyone is off and then exit out of the front? Tell the bus driver when you board that there is an issue and ask him to lower it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How about skipping the busses altogether and renting a car? You can get some good deals on rentals, and then you will be in complete control of the situation and wont have to rely on a certain bus configuration.

tare

Yes you could always rent a car. But also always ask if the bus can be lowered. Maybe a fold up can would be an option for steadiness getting off the buses along with help of your dh.

kbmum

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. Things have changed a little, because now my parents think they will be staying at All-Star Music. Taking a cab for every trip to and from a park isn't possible and my dad's driving skills aren't that good, so renting a car probably won't work.

If the bus can't be lowered in the front, would the bus driver put down the wheelchair ramp? I'm sure other guests will get aggravated by the delay when they see someone walking off, though.

Nemo14

If driving is not a possibility, and a folding stepstool is too heavy, then I think the only option for using the busses would be to plan to have your husband assist her off the bus. I don't know if the buses can be lowered or not, but I would not count on them doing that every time.

Rob562

They're in the process of phasing out the oldest buses that have multiple steps up into the bus (the ones where the back steps fold out into a lift for wheelchairs). All of the low-floor buses can "kneel" to bring the floor closer to the ground. I believe there are also grab handles built into the doors. If she can handle a single standard-sized step up (with or without assistance), then she should be OK.

Worst-case scenario would be that you're leaving at a very crowded time when they bring one of the old buses into service and you have to wait an additional bus to get a low-floor one.

-Rob

Weather_Lady

The buses have ramps that lower to allow wheelchairs to exit. If there's no other option, you could see if they'd allow her to utilize the ramp.

jkraup

yes, I know you pay an enormous price to stay on-site and feel that you should get some "perks" for the price. But it is vacation. I recommend spending a little more and take a cab. I take my 75+ year old mother who is vision impaired and in a wheelchair. It is a hassle to take disney buses even in a wheelchair so we just take a cab. Vacation is about fun and convenience and having pain and unable to walk is neither. Although it would take you longer, you could take monorail to epcot and take the boat to Hollywood Studios from the back of epcot. Not time saving or convenient but does eliminate a bus. I personally would take a cab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom