Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

Prototype82

I think there may be more to come as far as the nighttime lighting goes. One effect talked about right up to opening was how it would be reactive, that the plants would flicker or surge depending on what was going on in the soundscape. The behind the scenes video from a few months ago showed Rhode pointing at one of the blue puff plants and saying, "That thing is linked to every glowing plant in this land."

It could have been cut, but it does seem the lighting was the last thing to do and possibly not finished. They have a good base regardless, and there's always room for improvement.
I have a video (Facebook live so I don't know if I can convert it) But I'm almost positive I saw chalice plants pulsating with the drum show, but it might have been photographic lighting behind me.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

At first I did find the dimness of the lighting to be a bit of a letdown, but the more I walked around Pandora, the more I decided that I actually love how dim everything is. It feels like a real alien forest at night, not something intended to look good for photos. In fact, it's so dark, that I had trouble finding my friends - so, unfortunately, I don't see it lasting too long the way it is.

Prototype82

I really don't understand the complaints over the lighting of Pandora at night. It's not as bright as a bioluminescent forest because we're not in a forest. We're in a valley; and a very open one at that. It's bright enough to be stunning but subtle enough to have a dark and mysterious adventurous feel. Instead of being bombarded by light I feel like I have to wind my way around certain engaging focal points- the firefly fish, the glows of the Baja tickler that's coming through the mist. It's so lush and romantic, and intention with all of these little interesting things piercing through the darkness that I honestly wouldn't want to change a single thing. Every aspect is so intentional....

Tom Morrow

Yeah. Make it brighter, and it becomes another theme park land with lots of pretty lights. As is, it feels like a real experience just navigating around it at night. The only thing I would change is to make the floating islands glow a bit more, as they are the focal point.

flyerjab

I really don't understand the complaints over the lighting of Pandora at night. It's not as bright as a bioluminescent forest because we're not in a forest. We're in a valley; and a very open one at that. It's bright enough to be stunning but subtle enough to have a dark and mysterious adventurous feel. Instead of being bombarded by light I feel like I have to wind my way around certain engaging focal points- the firefly fish, the glows of the Baja tickler that's coming through the mist. It's so lush and romantic, and intention with all of these little interesting things piercing through the darkness that I honestly wouldn't want to change a single thing. Every aspect is so intentional....

I love your posts about Pandora. You really appreciate it the way I do.

Just went on the NRJ last night with the kids this time and they really enjoyed it. I have to admit that I like this ride more each time I ride it. The little details are great and the screens are superbly done. The best part of the screens are how they are layered for a true depth effect.

The fallen tree is still one of the best moments. My son refused to believe that the bugs were projections. He thought that they were actually crawling on the tree. And to me, this area culminates how incredible Imagineering can be when given multiple tools to work with. There are physical sets and props that completely surround you as you float through. There is the fallen tree with projected insects crawling all over it. But the best part are how screens are used, but they are not "in your face" at this part of the ride. They are tucked within and behind the physical sets. It is wonderfully done, and a more subtle way to integrate them. That way, you really have to move your head around to see the Na'vi and their direhorses walking through the rainforest. It really adds to the believability of the moment.

All in all, a terrific experience.

No Name

This video shows some plants by the drum circle that glow in a more organic/living way than all the others:

Skip to 7:35

LOL, not to get sidetracked but is Tim blind?! At about 50 seconds in he sees the brail map in DAK and says it needs to be replaced since there is no Pandora on it, even though Pandora is clearly there and labeled.

Prototype82

I love your posts about Pandora. You really appreciate it the way I do.

Just went on the NRJ last night with the kids this time and they really enjoyed it. I have to admit that I like this ride more each time I ride it. The little details are great and the screens are superbly done. The best part of the screens are how they are layered for a true depth effect.

The fallen tree is still one of the best moments. My son refused to believe that the bugs were projections. He thought that they were actually crawling on the tree. And to me, this area culminates how incredible Imagineering can be when given multiple tools to work with. There are physical sets and props that completely surround you as you float through. There is the fallen tree with projected insects crawling all over it. But the best part are how screens are used, but they are not "in your face" at this part of the ride. They are tucked within and behind the physical sets. It is wonderfully done, and a more subtle way to integrate them. That way, you really have to move your head around to see the Na'vi and their direhorses walking through the rainforest. It really adds to the believability of the moment.

All in all, a terrific experience.
Thank you. Glad to hear from a fellow appreciator! I always enjoyed the projection mapping on the fallen tree. It actually wasn't until my fifth ride that I noticed the physical set piece had holes in it and the mapped animations were timed so perfectly to look as if they were crawling straight into the crevices. I hate to say it but I feel some fans feel that because animatronics exist: they must be the only way to execute story scenes. But if Walt saw this tech now, I really think he'd love the three dimensional feel of these layered animations. This ride tries a lot of new believable techniques that are very subtly executed. I love it.

MCast

Just rode NRJ over the weekend. If I had to describe it in one word it would be: "Meh."

Extremely short. Other than the animatronic at the end, there wasn't anything too special. I find Frozen Ever After to be a parallel ride that's much more engaging. Too bad, the rest of the land is phenomenal.

Sue_Vongello

Just rode NRJ over the weekend. If I had to describe it in one word it would be: "Meh."

Extremely short. Other than the animatronic at the end, there wasn't anything too special. I find Frozen Ever After to be a parallel ride that's much more engaging. Too bad, the rest of the land is phenomenal.

Totally agree ... I've been on it a few times now and it doesn't get better. It's by far the biggest disappointment with Pandora. There isn't anything that is truly engaging AND it's too short.

Now the land itself and the food ... far exceeded expectations.

Honestly, I really loved this ride. I preferred it over FOP, mainly because it's just more my speed. It's such a gorgeous ride. Many people like more "exciting" rides, but I think they miss the beauty of it. Both types of attractions have their place.

On the projections- personally, I love animatronics. Would I like to see more on this ride? Of course. I give it a pass, however, because the projections looked SO good. It was better 3D than things you have to wear glasses for. And I totally lost it at the shaman. I showed a friend a video of her when I got back and my friend thought it was a person in a costume.

Overall, I think NRJ has edged into my list of favorite rides, now that the GMR spot is vacant...

Kman101

It's far more engaging than Frozen Ever After. But to each their own. It has it's faults but it's far more immersive than given credit for. FEA looks amateurish compared to River Journey. I get possibly being bored, but it's well done. Short, yes.

wdwgreek

Went on this three times this morning during extra magic hours while the hoards went to flights of passage. Clocking in just shy of 6 minutes this was a calm but thoroughly engrossing trip. The screen layered effects and projections were executed perfectly. Also the light design was great. I went on with my dad who is for lack of a better term a layman. He liked it alot and thought it was peaceful and was impressed with the tech. The aa st the end was great. I am blown away by her size. Solid attraction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom