Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Went on this three times this morning during extra magic hours while the hoards went to flights of passage. Clocking in just shy of 6 minutes this was a calm but thoroughly engrossing trip. The screen layered effects and projections were executed perfectly. Also the light design was great. I went on with my dad who is for lack of a better term a layman. He liked it alot and thought it was peaceful and was impressed with the tech. The aa st the end was great. I am blown away by her size. Solid attraction!
Good to know its possible to ride multiple times. I have a FP for FOP at 9:00AM during the EMH so I hope to ride Nav'i at least 2 times before my FP time.

MissPixie

Saw this on our visit earlier this month and I have to say it is not the most exciting ride, but the beauty of it makes up for it for sure. I loved it for its beauty and i will do it again the next time I go as well just for that.

wwmmd

Oh hands down possible. Everyone merges right leaving the river queue pretty empty.

This makes me so happy! We are going the first part of September and have reservations at Tusker House at 9:45. I was worried that we'd have an issue getting to our reservation with a 9am opening and trying to ride NRJ stand-by at rope drop.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Had three rides on NRJ last week... once waited 70 mins, once waited 40 mins, and once waited 10 mins. In my personal opinion, it's worth about a 30-40 minute wait, but not much more (from my experience [and based on the above times I said I'd be willing to wait], if the queue is spilling outside the covered portion of the queue, the wait is too long). What's there is absolutely wonderfully done, but it would be nice if there was just a little more substance... sure a longer ride would be amazing, but even just narration by an "ACE guide" during your ride or possible some sort of something in the queue (like the radio they have in the Jungle Cruise queue) to give some sort of introduction would be helpful (in my opinion).

BrerWayne

I'm with you. I waited an hour and 40 minutes in August heat. Much of the queue out in the sun. While I thought it was a pretty ride, I'd have a hard time justifying more than a 30 minute wait.

GrumpyFan

Rode for the first time on Sunday (8/6) at the after hours/EMH being held for the summer. The wait was still close to an hour, and with temps hitting the high 90s, I was glad we did this at night, when the temps had dropped some. Visually, it's stunning and very attractive, but the music and the animatronic, were completely un-relatable. The ride lacks any kind of story or narration, making it a pleasant, but odd experience on a boat ride. For me, this is a once and done kind of thing. Not sure there was anything on or in it that would make me want to go again, unless it has a short wait and I just wanted to get out of the heat for a few minutes.

Marlins1

Rode last night for the first time. I walked on with FP so enjoyed it very much. It is a very nice addition for a park that needed this type of ride. All ages, indoors and very pleasant. I did feel bad for the people waiting in the 95 minute line just like I do with Peter Pan. No way it is worth that.

JT3000

I finally got around to riding this today. The shaman animatronic is impressive, and there's some pretty visuals to take in along the way, but it feels like a trip to nowhere in many ways. No story or background to speak of, and you never arrive at anything even remotely resembling a destination. I suppose it's a decent, if a bit short, respite from the more thrilling attractions, but some sort of reason for floating down this random river would be nice, and I feel like a single animatronic should never pass for a climax unless there's something exciting going on. I probably won't be riding this again until the waits hit 15 minutes max.

Unfortunately, the real story here is the complete disaster that was the queue. I've literally lived through hurricanes that left less debris in their wake than the guests that came before me. Hey Disney, if you have a popular ride with consistently long lines, perhaps you should tell custodial to keep an eye on it?

UpAllNight

I thought this was great...I didn't actually feel like it was very short but then I didn't wait long. I'm not sure how as we went the day after opening and went in FoP first, but the relative lack of queue probably aided my opinion.

I don't feel like drops would have helped the tone of the ride and I'm not sure what else they could have done to help the excitement levels, but I thought the sounds, effects and the use of screens was very nicely done. Both rides made me excited for what they're going to do with Star Wars.

AndrewsJ

After visiting Pandora and experiencing both attractions I'm still shaking my head. Disney has so many animal related IP and this is what they chose for a new land at AK? What a waste of time and money. It's pretty but worth waiting for no.

RSoxNo1

After visiting Pandora and experiencing both attractions I'm still shaking my head. Disney has so many animal related IP and this is what they chose for a new land at AK? What a waste of time and money. It's pretty but worth waiting for no.
Just because a movie has a talking animal doesn't mean it's a good fit. The story treatment of Pandora is a perfect fit for that park. You can argue about execution of Na'vi River Journey, but in terms of appropriateness of fit, they knocked it out of the park.

AndrewsJ

Just because a movie has a talking animal doesn't mean it's a good fit. The story treatment of Pandora is a perfect fit for that park. You can argue about execution of Na'vi River Journey, but in terms of appropriateness of fit, they knocked it out of the park.
I didn't say a thing about appropriateness or fit. I get the whole conservation aspect of the land. And also said anything about talking animals. Disney has always done true life animal shows and movies. What I said was just my opinion. I have friends who think it's the best Disney has ever done and I see that side of it too. Animal Kingdom is my all time favorite park and I would have liked to have seen something different. I have no emotional ties to Avatar or Pandora what so ever so it's lost on me. Again just my opinion. It's obviously done something for the park. I just spent the last 10 days at WDW and wait times were anywhere from 110 minutes to 3 hours and that is no exaggeration. It just doesn't do it for me.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I didn't say a thing about appropriateness or fit. I get the whole conservation aspect of the land. And also said anything about talking animals. Disney has always done true life animal shows and movies. What I said was just my opinion. I have friends who think it's the best Disney has ever done and I see that side of it too. Animal Kingdom is my all time favorite park and I would have liked to have seen something different. I have no emotional ties to Avatar or Pandora what so ever so it's lost on me. Again just my opinion. It's obviously done something for the park. I just spent the last 10 days at WDW and wait times were anywhere from 110 minutes to 3 hours and that is no exaggeration. It just doesn't do it for me.
That's fair but what "would have done it" for you?

AndrewsJ

That's fair but what "would have done it" for you?
That's a good question. I'm not really sure. AK needed a family ride and another thrill ride so Pandora accomplishes both of those things. The themeing and detail are spot on. I think the issue with me is the lack of emotional connection. Even then I really expected to be blown away. I seriously thought I would never want to leave Pandora. Maybe I set my expectations too high. I am going to watch the movie again before I go back next month so maybe that will help.

Sue_Vongello

Realistically nobody has emotional connections with the Avatar characters, doesn't take away from the beauty of the land - however, I am curious about the lasting appeal over the years.

I think the land and the food are top notch. I think FOP is good but isn't a knock out, except the queue. Now the River Journey? I think it's bad. It lacks story, engaging characters, and emotion ... it has some cool effects and builds but then ends abruptly.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That's a good question. I'm not really sure. AK needed a family ride and another thrill ride so Pandora accomplishes both of those things. The themeing and detail are spot on. I think the issue with me is the lack of emotional connection. Even then I really expected to be blown away. I seriously thought I would never want to leave Pandora. Maybe I set my expectations too high. I am going to watch the movie again before I go back next month so maybe that will help.
I finally watched it the other day and it really does help you understand Pandora and helps with ths story as well. It certainly helps for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom