Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

Eckert

The platform moves up and down to simulate diving and free fall... I can't think of any possible way to safely allow somebody in a chair to experience the full range of motion.

It would be fine to lock the wheels of the chair onto the base, but what is going to hold the person in the chair into it?

A seat belt or smaller lap bar? I've noticed that once you're seated there's a sort of shield over your lap that doesn't allow you to fully stand up.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

A seat belt or smaller lap bar? I've noticed that once you're seated there's a sort of shield over your lap that doesn't allow you to fully stand up.

I still think that seems like a huge liability issue, unless Disney designed custom chairs that were permanently affixed to the platform with a restraint system designed specifically for that purpose. But then you'd be right back in the same boat of having to transfer.

There are countless varieties and designs of chairs and I would think it would be nearly impossible to develop a restraint system that would function with all of them. Not to mention that the platform movements are such a small part of a much larger motion simulation, and wouldn't be very effective without working in conjunction with the link chair's motion. I honestly think a stationary platform would be the only solution.

Last edited:

Adam N

I still think that seems like a huge liability issue, unless Disney designed custom chairs that were permanently affixed to the platform with a restraint system designed specifically for that purpose. But then you'd be right back in the same boat of having to transfer.

There are countless varieties and designs of chairs and I would think it would be nearly impossible to develop a restraint system that would function with all of them. Not to mention that the platform movements are such a small part of a much larger motion simulation, and wouldn't be very effective without working in conjunction with the link chair's motion. I honestly think a stationary platform would be the only solution.
I think that would be the only solution but I also feel that would lead to many many more protein spills. Because the movement is synced exactly to what is happening on screen, if the horizon you're focused on keeps moving while you're not, your equilibrium would be completely thrown off.

Castle Cake Apologist

I think that would be the only solution but I also feel that would lead to many many more protein spills. Because the movement is synced exactly to what is happening on screen, if the horizon you're focused on keeps moving while you're not, your equilibrium would be completely thrown off.

That's actually a VERY valid point that I didn't even consider. I think the very nature of a motion simulator might actually make it impossible to make accessible for that very reason since the film itself is specifically made to fit the motion profile and would probably wreak havoc on the guest's equilibrium.

Alektronic

That's actually a VERY valid point that I didn't even consider. I think the very nature of a motion simulator might actually make it impossible to make accessible for that very reason since the film itself is specifically made to fit the motion profile and would probably wreak havoc on the guest's equilibrium.

That's correct. I have watched the movie standing still from the bottom level and it made me dizzy just standing there and then riding the ride it was so smooth and didn't feel any disorientation at all.

Prototype82

I would've liked 1 or 2 animal AAs thrown in there but the layered screen effect gave some really cool depth. Plus, Lightstorm worked on the animation so come on...it looks beautiful. Really bummed there's not a wheelchair boat. My aunt has a lot of back problems from transferring my cousin who's 17. Would be nice to have 1 AK attraction where she didn't have to do that...

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I would've liked 1 or 2 animal AAs thrown in there but the layered screen effect gave some really cool depth. Plus, Lightstorm worked on the animation so come on...it looks beautiful. Really bummed there's not a wheelchair boat. My aunt has a lot of back problems from transferring my cousin who's 17. Would be nice to have 1 AK attraction where she didn't have to do that...
Agreed, a couple of animal animatronics in the foreground would have really helped. Even if it was just a partial AA peaking out of the brush.

Adam N

I would assume there's no wheelchair boat because the boats themselves are too short. The comparable small world boats have six rows. That would be my guess at least.

No Name

That's really the only thing I can think of. Otherwise it doesn't make a ton of sense to not have one.

We can point to x y and z and say "that's the reason," but it's still no excuse. This land was designed and built from scratch... an empty plot of land. They didn't have to build a tight flume that can't handle a larger wheelchair boat. They didn't have to build a simulator without a wheelchair substitute. They chose to.

And I think they chose very poorly. And it's not as though they sacrificed accessibility for higher capacity, since capacity isn't stellar either. Wheoever is responsbible for this side of things really dropped the ball.

Castle Cake Apologist

We can point to x y and z and say "that's the reason," but it's still no excuse. This land was designed and built from scratch... an empty plot of land. They didn't have to build a tight flume that can't handle a larger wheelchair boat. They didn't have to build a simulator without a wheelchair substitute. They chose to.

And I think they chose very poorly. And it's not as though they sacrificed accessibility for higher capacity, since capacity isn't stellar either. Wheoever is responsbible for this side of things really dropped the ball.

I completely agree 100% on the boat ride, but I'm unsure as to how you think that they feasibly could have made a simulator wheelchair accessible. By its very nature, a simulator cannot be made accessible. Several points as to why have been brought up throughout this conversation.

No Name

I completely agree 100% on the boat ride, but I'm unsure as to how you think that they feasibly could have made a simulator wheelchair accessible. By its very nature, a simulator cannot be made accessible. Several points as to why have been brought up throughout this conversation.

I get that*... maybe I worded it poorly. What I mean is that they should have at least made one of the two new rides wheelchair-accessible. They chose to build a land from scratch with two rides that both require a transfer. I think that's a mistake.

*Though I'm sure, with a lot more money and research, a simulator could be made accessible. They could develop a moving platform that the wheelchair locks into, or something like that. But that's beside the point.

Minthorne

A busdriver told me they are building a second story to the river ride adding a lift hill and drop.

Ok no I made that up.

But now that I said it will come true!

Figment2005

I would assume there's no wheelchair boat because the boats themselves are too short. The comparable small world boats have six rows. That would be my guess at least.
Probably a good assumption. They would probably have to dedicate the whole boat to securing the wheelchair and larger boats would not be able to traverse the tight turns in the ride.

BrianLo

I'll only post some early thoughts on the NRJ before revisiting Pandora and reviewing the entire thing.

I really liked this attraction. There is pretty much nothing wrong with it.

The issue I think it is having are two fold:

1. People keep trying to wish it into something that it isn't (i.e. An E or really even D ticket).
2. C tickets ARE NOT worth 90+ minutes waits.

The ride more effectively demonstrates the bioluminescence than the physical land does, I love the loose narrative. I really didn't feel like it was too short in the grand tradition of what I expect from a supporting attraction.

I also had the benefit of having it be a FP AND having it be an actual walk on during the evening EMH. So needless to say I hope I got to experience it closer to reality when the waits calm down and it spends most of its time sub 20 minutes. It's a beautiful, well executed non-headliner. Really, one of the, if not the very best C tickets Disney has ever produced worldwide. This was also something sorely missing froM the AK menu and it fills the gap fantastically.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'll only post some early thoughts on the NRJ before revisiting Pandora and reviewing the entire thing.

1. People keep trying to wish it into something that it isn't (i.e. An E or really even D ticket).

The ride more effectively demonstrates the bioluminescence than the physical land does, I love the loose narrative. I really didn't feel like it was too short in the grand tradition of what I expect from a supporting attraction.

I also had the benefit of having it be a FP AND having it be an actual walk on during the evening EMH. So needless to say I hope I got to experience it closer to reality when the waits calm down and it spends most of its time sub 20 minutes. It's a beautiful, well executed non-headliner. Really, one of the, if not the very best C tickets Disney has ever produced worldwide. This was also something sorely missing froM the AK menu and it fills the gap fantastically.

YES. This 100x.

DAK desperately needed a ride like this.

djkidkaz

I think the fact this ride does the bioluminescence so well makes you expect similar treatment once outside at night. Everything outside is very muted and dull when the expectation is glowing vibrance.

Someone just needs to turn up the brightness button.

Goob

I can't believe they haven't adjusted the lighting for night time yet. Every single person that has commented on the lights have said it is very underwhelming. Disney has to know this. And yes, the bioluminescence of NRJ steals the thunder from the real world.

sedati

I can't believe they haven't adjusted the lighting for night time yet. Every single person that has commented on the lights have said it is very underwhelming. Disney has to know this. And yes, the bioluminescence of NRJ steals the thunder from the real world.

I think there may be more to come as far as the nighttime lighting goes. One effect talked about right up to opening was how it would be reactive, that the plants would flicker or surge depending on what was going on in the soundscape. The behind the scenes video from a few months ago showed Rhode pointing at one of the blue puff plants and saying, "That thing is linked to every glowing plant in this land."

It could have been cut, but it does seem the lighting was the last thing to do and possibly not finished. They have a good base regardless, and there's always room for improvement.

clemmo

Waited 15 mins in a supposed 50 min wait last night around 11. Maybe because I had low expectations after reading this but I was impressed with NRJ. This attraction is a good example of a YouTube video not doing a ride justice. A lot of little details that need to be seen in person. Wish it was another minute or two longer though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom