Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

RSoxNo1

What about Under The Sea? I always thought that was a C and Mine Train was a D. Because imo River Journey blows Under The Sea away.
I have yet to experience Na'vi River Journey but it looks like a solid C, or weak D to me. Under the Sea is a D, largely because it has physical depth and several quality animatronics. The criticism for Under the Sea is that it's a book report ride and has some sight line and show lighting issues. I think the lighting issues were largely addressed in the black light refurb.

MrPromey

I don't think I would get in line if the posted wait is much longer than 20 minutes, but I am glad the ride is there.

I see a lot of comments along these lines which troubles me because I can't imagine 20 minute waits in the foreseeable future if recent history of new attractions is any indication and given that this is half the attractions for this huge new immensely themed section of the park, it is feeling like there is a lot of fluff to this area and maybe a lacking of substance for the scale of what they did on the exterior of this land.

I know people keep saying how relaxing this part of the park is but I'm wondering if it'll still feel that way when it's filled to the gills with guests outside of a preview window where crowds are controlled or will it be like New Fantasyland - where it always just seems overly packed in areas.

I really hope the calm and peaceful experience people are reporting persists and that the wait time for this attraction people are saying is "great... as long as it's almost a walk-on" stays short. I'm just thinking about how what is experienced changes when you add hoards of folks.

Hopefully, if it is bad due to crowds, it'll be somewhat short-lived as other things start to come online in the other parks in the coming years.

Last edited:

Scuttle

Sorry ahead of time for the length of this post, but it has been a long time coming. I also don't care to get into the whole ticket classification discussion. Early on it was termed a C-Ticket in "leaked" blueprints, so there you go.

I am not going to be trying to sway opinions in any way about this ride. It was constructed in such a way that it will provide for the greatest of rifts in opinions from those that ride it. The ride is not long, and that point alone generates polarity among opinions. All I can add is that there can definitely be a difference in viewing it on YouTube vs. actually having ridden it.

View attachment 205687

I won't be putting a lot of photos here as it has already been video-taped and photographed to death. I included the above as an example of some of the Na'vi totem artwork that you can see in the queue. The queue area was supposed to have been constructed by the Na'vi, to allow you to have a point of entry into their culture and their world. That is why it appears much plainer compared to FoP. The design is intricate, however, and I can't imagine the amount of hours it took to hand weave everything. It is supposed to glow at night so I imagine that the queue will be neat to see after the sun sets.

The load area is a load area, so not much to see or report on. However, our group of 4 loved the design of the reed boats. The smaller size makes them more intimate which is fitting for this shorter ride profile.

The first thing that was interesting after the ride started was the argument over whether the first Na'vi character was a screen-based figure or an AA. My wife flat out refuses to believe it is a screen-based figure - but it is. This is where this gets interesting. My wife does not like Avatar in anyway. The other girl we were with had never seen it. And at this point we had already ridden the headliner FoP. I thought that they were going to be let down by this ride, along with my other friend.

Well...it was the exact opposite. They LOVED this ride (their reactions were great to see). They thought that the screens used for the animals, Na'vi, and general creation of depth within the rainforest were all excellent. They really liked the creatures that were hopping on the leaves overhead as they found the interaction of the projections and physical props to be truly convincing. The flora and all of the bioluminescent plants were astounding and well done. This ride really demonstrates the flaws and shortcomings of the Little Mermaid in NFL. There are no exposed areas in this ride. Every conceivable visible surface is beautiful and covered by something. Imagineering craftsmanship is on full display inside this ride.

And of course they were blown away by the Shaman of Songs. And this is one that didn't thoroughly impress me in the videos as it clearly did other people. And I thought on video her voice came off as jarring and not very enjoyable. In person though, those concerns were all washed away as her voice is much better balanced against the background chorus. I will also say that this AA actually conveys emotion in her face. The range of expressions possible by this figure is staggering. The denouement of this ride, however, is a little uninspiring; but at that point I simply closed my eyes and enjoyed the music until we unloaded. I was glad to hear echoes of James Horner's original soundtrack, as I personally loved it in the movie and it was so sad to hear of his untimely death prior to the completion of this land.

Overall, the four of us loved this ride, including the queue. And for full disclosure, I feel that it only stumbles a bit in the end. The screens though I thought were magnificently done. They were used with a degree of subtlety that I frankly really appreciated. FoP just clobbers you and all of your senses with a sledgehammer (as it should). This ride is a simple ride, where the Na'vi have given you a peak into their mysterious, bioluminescent world. And the screens are hidden within the plethora of physical sets and props, so that you are allowed glimpses of animals and Na'vi, some up close and some way off in the distance. Again, this is done to such great effect that it might not be appreciated by all, but I loved it. It really created the illusion that you were far removed from the familiar, and were given this opportunity for a quaint, private journey into the world of the Na'vi.

I couldn't agree more. The way they covered up all visible ceiling area was excellent. I was just posting about how much better this ride is compared to Under the Sea. Great ride, story or, no story. Good review!

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

The Navi River Ride has NO STORY. It is just a ride through a pretty glowing jungle.
And after the novelty wears off....the people will show up less and less. No one is going to wait for 70+ minutes for a short boat ride.
I foresee this ride being being a 20 minutes or less ride in a few years unless Disney does something to make it more interesting.

I think people are saying "story" when the real problem is "focus".

If you think of other, long-time, popular rides at WDW you have scenes and in those scenes you have something to focus on. With PotC, the story is basically: Some pirate 'stuff' is going down. There's not a huge story there, but there are individual scenes each with their own focus that makes the ride a classic. I can speak of the pirate auctioning off the red head and everyone thinks, "We wants the red head! WE WANTS THE RED HEAD!" There's a connection there.

You have the same deal with BTMRR, Splash, Living With the Land, etc. They all have scenes and all have a focus.

I've just watched the Na'vi River Journey on YouTube so I haven't experienced it directly, but it feels like it's little more than a trip through an alien swamp and, oh, there's a shaman. Imagine the Jungle Cruise with no scenes - just a lot of greenery. Oh, it may be really pretty. It could make you feel like you were in the jungle, but you'd get off thinking, "Ok. I just went on a pointless ride through the jungle..." It's the scenes and focus that make that ride.

Even when you get to the shaman on NRJ, while she's technically neat and quite an achievement in AA technology (I'm not in Pandora to evaluate AA technology) I'm looking at her with all of her movements and song I don't understand and I have no idea what she's doing or why she's doing it. There's nothing to tell me that she's making peace with the Pandora gods or singing an ancient mating song. She's just an advanced, well done AA doing "something". I think that misses the mark. She's the one thing on that ride that's a focus and, as a guest, you have no idea what the point of it is. I'm probably supposed to connect with her, somehow, but she's just a rando in the jungle. Even the head-hunter on Jungle Cruise tells me something and he's not AA at all - just stiff. I look at him and think, "Oh, watch out... The head-hunter is trying to sell me some heads!" The shaman? No idea.

While I was gathering my thoughts on this, after watching the video, it also dawned on me that 7DMT has a very similar problem. There are two scenes and a "meh" roller coaster. The "meh" roller coaster would be fine if you were traveling through multiple scenes. Instead, you have two, really well done, scenes on the lift hill and at the brake station. Those parts of the ride are awesome. On a roller coaster ride, the best part of a ride is the lift hill and brake station. The rest of that ride is just a "meh" coaster not even traveling through a mine but over and under rocks/small hills. The lack of scenes (and it's overall length but I really think it's primarily the lack of scenes) kind of kills it.

If you think of other, long-time, popular rides at WDW you have scenes and in those scenes you have something to focus on. With PotC, the story is basically: Some pirate 'stuff' is going down. There's not a huge story there, but there are individual scenes each with their own focus that makes the ride a classic. I can speak of the pirate auctioning off the red head and everyone thinks, "We wants the red head! WE WANTS THE RED HEAD!" There's a connection there.

You have the same deal with BTMRR, Splash, Living With the Land, etc. They all have scenes and all have a focus.

I've just watched the Na'vi River Journey on YouTube so I haven't experienced it directly, but it feels like it's little more than a trip through an alien swamp and, oh, there's a shaman. Imagine the Jungle Cruise with no scenes - just a lot of greenery. Oh, it may be really pretty. It could make you feel like you were in the jungle, but you'd get off thinking, "Ok. I just went on a pointless ride through the jungle..." It's the scenes and focus that make that ride.

Even when you get to the shaman on NRJ, while she's technically neat and quite an achievement in AA technology (I'm not in Pandora to evaluate AA technology) I'm looking at her with all of her movements and song I don't understand and I have no idea what she's doing or why she's doing it. There's nothing to tell me that she's making peace with the Pandora gods or singing an ancient mating song. She's just an advanced, well done AA doing "something". I think that misses the mark. She's the one thing on that ride that's a focus and, as a guest, you have no idea what the point of it is. I'm probably supposed to connect with her, somehow, but she's just a rando in the jungle. Even the head-hunter on Jungle Cruise tells me something and he's not AA at all - just stiff. I look at him and think, "Oh, watch out... The head-hunter is trying to sell me some heads!" The shaman? No idea.

While I was gathering my thoughts on this, after watching the video, it also dawned on me that 7DMT has a very similar problem. There are two scenes and a "meh" roller coaster. The "meh" roller coaster would be fine if you were traveling through multiple scenes. Instead, you have two, really well done, scenes on the lift hill and at the brake station. Those parts of the ride are awesome. On a roller coaster ride, the best part of a ride is the lift hill and brake station. The rest of that ride is just a "meh" coaster not even traveling through a mine but over and under rocks/small hills. The lack of scenes (and it's overall length but I really think it's primarily the lack of scenes) kind of kills it.

Very well put. My sentiments exactly...but even more well refined.

Again...well said...just one small correction. Pirates does tell a bit of a story. There is an attack on the town at the beginning, then there are scenes that show the pirates pillaging the town and what happens after the battle. Then they added Jack Sparrow and he adds to the story by carrying through the hunt for him as he is looking to steal the treasure...which he does at the end in his treasure filled room.

Every other point...spot on.

dreamscometrue

It's amazing how video paints the picture for you isn't it.
Except it doesn't. At all. Ever.
Experiencing anything live, in 3 dimensions, with all your senses, is nothing at all like watching in 2D space, even in 4K, in your living room. Sports, Broadway shows, concerts, travel, and yes, theme park attractions, cannot be appreciated unless experienced to feel your visceral reaction.

Scuttle

Experiencing anything live, in 3 dimensions, with all your senses, is nothing at all like watching in 2D space, even in 4K, in your living room. Sports, Broadway shows, concerts, travel, and yes, theme park attractions, cannot be appreciated unless experienced to feel your visceral reaction.
It is visually, a work of art what they did to hide things in River Journey. Everything about Pandora is a must be seen in person experience. I'm the first one to be critical of TDO and I also hate Avatar as a movie, but they did a damn good job overall. After all the forced explaining and forced storyline in FoP I think River Journey was a nice change of pace. FoP had so much info leading up to it you would have thought you were getting ready to skydive.

JohnD

After watching the video, it reminds me of a very fancy version of Three Callaberos. Video projections throughout until an AA at the end.

Last edited:

No Name

My wife flat out refuses to believe it is a screen-based figure - but it is.

Your wife is partially right. It is an actual physical Na'vi. But a static figure.

The arm movement is accomplished with projections.
And his face "follows" you a bit, did you notice? I'll let this video explain that.
All very interesting, to say the least.

Overall, glad to hear you enjoyed the ride.

Last edited:

Ever? If I watch a television show online....that is the same experience everywhere.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just thinking: If we can pin down a simple script we can create our own narration for this ride, burn it to MP3 and play it next time we journey the Na'vi River. Eh. It's something I'd enjoy doing anyway. Lifted a few phrases direct from Disney's VisitPandora website.

Here's what I got so far:

:microphone whines speaker clicks on : OK! Welcome Travelers to the Na'vi River Journey. I'm Marc, your Alpha Centauri Expeditions travel guide. In a moment, a reed boat will arrive to take you into the sacred Kaspavan River. Please Climb aboard and remember to keep your hands, arms and legs inside the boat at all times. Join us as we float along deep within the Valley of Mo’ara to discover the sacred bond between nature and ourselves. We'll take you right into the middle of the Na’vi culture as we explore the biolumensecent grottos while I provide "illuminating" color on the flora and exotic wildlife of native Pandora. With the "OK blessing" from our Na'vi friends we'll launch shortly. :speaker clicks off:

:speaker clicks on: OK! It looks like we're about to launch. Here we go! :speaker clicks off:

Last edited:

doctornick

A similar scenario visually but with rafts as opposed to the boats of today. Longer waterway. And a flume drop.

A flume drop like Pirates? Or something a high thrill level drop more like Splash? Personally, I like that they kept this a very mild ride for all to enjoy and think that the type of ride is exactly a good fit for DAK; some might argue that the execution might be disappointing though.

doctornick

I can't believe that one of these doesn't exist anywhere in Pandora: The World of Avatar...especially in this boat ride...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/63/2a/11/632a11387b5bef2627b57e071cd9da6c.png

If they ever were planning any expansion for Pandora (never gonna happen though), I'd like to see an attraction that includes some of the large animals like that creature. Even some sort of a Triceratops Encounter type of attraction I think would be a plus.

doctornick

Exactly. Instead of Disney spending so much on conservation messages and environmental education...how about some actual stories. How about a Naví native guide who walks along with you on your journey and you come upon a native tribe who feels threatened and they try to stop you from going in further but your guide calms them before things get too hairy. Then some creatures that may pop up later to scare you...like they did when the Marine first went into Pandora...and some not meaning to scare you out of threat, but out of curiosity or playfulness. Then add a real scary creature before the shaman and the guards who tried to stop you earlier show up to fend off the creature and protect you. ..Then you can see the shaman and end on a pleasant, happy, calm note and your guide bids you a kind farewell as he meets you by the exit on your way out.

This sounds exactly like what they should not have done and I am glad they didn't. The last thing we need is another "something goes wrong" type ride where you are under threat of being attacked. I'm very happy that Disney went with a peaceful exploration route with this ride.

RSoxNo1

The first thing that was interesting after the ride started was the argument over whether the first Na'vi character was a screen-based figure or an AA. My wife flat out refuses to believe it is a screen-based figure - but it is. This is where this gets interesting. My wife does not like Avatar in anyway. The other girl we were with had never seen it. And at this point we had already ridden the headliner FoP. I thought that they were going to be let down by this ride, along with my other friend.
The figure uses the old parlor trick used in The Haunted Mansion library with the busts. The Navi is "reverse sculpted" so that it appears to follow you, much in the same way the busts do in the Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom