Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

aladdin2007

Disney considers NRJ a C and FoP an E. It is on their own schematics. To be fair, DAK is in need of Cs. If this ride settles into 20-30 minute waits long-term, all will be fine. If it gets 60+ minute waits after the first year merely because there isn't enough to do at DAK, there will be issues. Thank goodness they are already planning further additions to the park.

Now if you want to talk about how obscenely-expensive this ride was compared to other Cs, that's a different discussion.

At least both of SWL's rides will be Es so people will be fine with long wait times.

I wish it didn't bother me so but it does, unbelievable. remember when rides were loaded with animatronics? but oh no the disney of today would never ever do that, like they should or something worth while. Their bloated costs are way out of control for these kinds of little rides that have no meat to them. Kinda like new fantasyland, huge budgets for pretty queue's and all but no sustenance within. Not saying thats exactly the same here, but it makes me think of it.

FigmentForver96

I guess some of us don't need a story shoved down our throat. We're visiting the world of Pandora and going down a mystic glowing river. You don't need a story more then that. The ride from the very beginning was described as such. This ride has no intention of being more then what it was said to be and for once Disney did not try to make it out to be more. They called it a C and it's a C.

motox7

I just feel like it could use some narration like the land bot ride. I don't know what these creatures are, how do they play into the environmental fable of pandora? I honesty didn't realize the spinning thing was a "fan lizard" and not a weird plant until I watched a very detailed video of the flight queue which showed a drawing of one.
... now I know "iasw" doesn't have narriation, nor did the pre sparrow version of "potc" so it's not out of the norm. Just I personally think it take the ride from a low b to a solid c in my book.
I like this idea. Almost as if you have a voice of a tour guide telling you what everything is as you pass it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I guess some of us don't need a story shoved down our throat. We're visiting the world of Pandora and going down a mystic glowing river. You don't need a story more then that. The ride from the very beginning was described as such. This ride has no intention of being more then what it was said to be and for once Disney did not try to make it out to be more. They called it a C and it's a C.

I guess that helps explain why the FP+ reservations are flying off the "shelf". :joyfull:

ib5ofvw.png

ndnWZgO.png

gSN4c2m.png

djdan888

I have physically been on the ride twice and both times the people in my boat said " Is that it?" when the ride ended. That is not good. When the most exciting part of your ride is when the tread picks up your boat to bring you back to the load out area, that is not good. If you have the option to FP either ride, never pick NRJ. You will regret your decision. Ride it in standby if it is 30 minutes or less wait. FP FoP only.

RSoxNo1

I have physically been on the ride twice and both times the people in my boat said " Is that it?" when the ride ended. That is not good. When the most exciting part of your ride is when the tread picks up your boat to bring you back to the load out area, that is not good. If you have the option to FP either ride, never pick NRJ. You will regret your decision. Ride it in standby if it is 30 minutes or less wait. FP FoP only.
Unfortunately, I think most people were going in expecting something on the level of Pirates. Disney should probably be underselling the ride a bit. It should literally be sold as, "a peaceful boat ride through a bioluminescent rainforest". If you go in with Winnie the Pooh level expectations, you'll be pleased. If you go in expecting Pirates of the Caribbean you'll be disappointed.

djdan888

FP+ Reservations and the ride being a C have nothing to do with each other. I never argued the ride could be longer or needed more stuff to see. I simply said the ride doesn't need a fixed long story.
And the argument could be made, why not? I feel like 60 or 70% or maybe even more of the guests who enter Pandora will have no clue what anything means. The boat trip could have been very educational on the history of the Navi.

FigmentForver96

And the argument could be made, why not? I feel like 60 or 70% or maybe even more of the guests who enter Pandora will have no clue what anything means. The boat trip could have been very educational on the history of the Navi.
Being on the world of Pandora is the whole story for the land. Just like Everest, Space Mountain, Sorian, Spaceship Earth don't have some elaborate story. The need for a detailed story kills ones need for imagination. The official Disney description for the ride:

"Glide down a gentle, mysterious river and feel a sense of wonder as the full beauty of Pandora reveals itself. Located within the Valley of Mo’ara, Na’vi River Journey offers explorers an experience that has to be seen—and heard—to be believed!

As your expedition begins, climb aboard a reed boat and drift downstream. After coasting through a series of caves, and passing by exotic glowing plants and amazing creatures of the rainforest, you’ll soon find yourself face-to-face with the Na’vi Shaman of Songs.

The adventure comes to a conclusion as the Shaman demonstrates her deep connection to the life force of Pandora—and sends positive energy out into the forest through the power of her music!"

Regardless, not the thread for it so I'm going to end it here to avoid off topic conversation.

dm11

They are fictional so educational effort would most likely be an unnecessary overkill :)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Being on the world of Pandora is the whole story for the land. Just like Everest, Space Mountain, Sorian, Spaceship Earth don't have some elaborate story. The need for a detailed story kills ones need for imagination. The official Disney description for the ride:

"Glide down a gentle, mysterious river and feel a sense of wonder as the full beauty of Pandora reveals itself. Located within the Valley of Mo’ara, Na’vi River Journey offers explorers an experience that has to be seen—and heard—to be believed!

As your expedition begins, climb aboard a reed boat and drift downstream. After coasting through a series of caves, and passing by exotic glowing plants and amazing creatures of the rainforest, you’ll soon find yourself face-to-face with the Na’vi Shaman of Songs.

The adventure comes to a conclusion as the Shaman demonstrates her deep connection to the life force of Pandora—and sends positive energy out into the forest through the power of her music!"

Regardless, not the thread for it so I'm going to end it here to avoid off topic conversation.

Feel a sense of wonder .. as to what the ride is actually about. :hilarious:

Scuttle

A B-ticket would be something like Dumbo. This is a solid C ticket, and never promised to be anything more than that.

I wonder if it would be possible given the trough system to have new boats with a 3rd row if capacity becomes a problem here.
What about Under The Sea? I always thought that was a C and Mine Train was a D. Because imo River Journey blows Under The Sea away.

I love how the Disney Loyalists get offended when anyone dares criticize their beloved Disney. Disney makes FAR too many mistakes, and have so as of late, for them not to be called to the table.
But Disney ALWAYS has a story behind their rides. Even Disney Springs has a story associated with it.
The new Miss Adventure Falls came with a story.
Expedition Everest...has a story
Kilimanjaro safari..had a story...and still has a theme
Test Track has a story
That is what Disney is supposed to do. Their rides either have a story, or retell a story.

The Navi River Ride has NO STORY. It is just a ride through a pretty glowing jungle.
And after the novelty wears off....the people will show up less and less. No one is going to wait for 70+ minutes for a short boat ride.
I foresee this ride being being a 20 minutes or less ride in a few years unless Disney does something to make it more interesting.

And I am amazed at how much money, and publicity they put into a "C" ride. Every marketing campaign showed us NOTHING.
We knew at that moment that there was nothing on this ride...and we were right.

Scuttle

I love how the Disney Loyalists get offended when anyone dares criticize their beloved Disney. Disney makes FAR too many mistakes, and have so as of late, for them not to be called to the table.
But Disney ALWAYS has a story behind their rides. Even Disney Springs has a story associated with it.
The new Miss Adventure Falls came with a story.
Expedition Everest...has a story
Kilimanjaro safari..had a story...and still has a theme
Test Track has a story
That is what Disney is supposed to do. Their rides either have a story, or retell a story.

The Navi River Ride has NO STORY. It is just a ride through a pretty glowing jungle.
And after the novelty wears off....the people will show up less and less. No one is going to wait for 70+ minutes for a short boat ride.
I foresee this ride being being a 20 minutes or less ride in a few years unless Disney does something to make it more interesting.

And I am amazed at how much money, and publicity they put into a "C" ride. Every marketing campaign showed us NOTHING.
We knew at that moment that there was nothing on this ride...and we were right.
Did you ride it yet?

flyerjab

Sorry ahead of time for the length of this post, but it has been a long time coming. I also don't care to get into the whole ticket classification discussion. Early on it was termed a C-Ticket in "leaked" blueprints, so there you go.

I am not going to be trying to sway opinions in any way about this ride. It was constructed in such a way that it will provide for the greatest of rifts in opinions from those that ride it. The ride is not long, and that point alone generates polarity among opinions. All I can add is that there can definitely be a difference in viewing it on YouTube vs. actually having ridden it.

IMG_7419.JPG

I won't be putting a lot of photos here as it has already been video-taped and photographed to death. I included the above as an example of some of the Na'vi totem artwork that you can see in the queue. The queue area was supposed to have been constructed by the Na'vi, to allow you to have a point of entry into their culture and their world. That is why it appears much plainer compared to FoP. The design is intricate, however, and I can't imagine the amount of hours it took to hand weave everything. It is supposed to glow at night so I imagine that the queue will be neat to see after the sun sets.

The load area is a load area, so not much to see or report on. However, our group of 4 loved the design of the reed boats. The smaller size makes them more intimate which is fitting for this shorter ride profile.

The first thing that was interesting after the ride started was the argument over whether the first Na'vi character was a screen-based figure or an AA. My wife flat out refuses to believe it is a screen-based figure - but it is. This is where this gets interesting. My wife does not like Avatar in anyway. The other girl we were with had never seen it. And at this point we had already ridden the headliner FoP. I thought that they were going to be let down by this ride, along with my other friend.

Well...it was the exact opposite. They LOVED this ride (their reactions were great to see). They thought that the screens used for the animals, Na'vi, and general creation of depth within the rainforest were all excellent. They really liked the creatures that were hopping on the leaves overhead as they found the interaction of the projections and physical props to be truly convincing. The flora and all of the bioluminescent plants were astounding and well done. This ride really demonstrates the flaws and shortcomings of the Little Mermaid in NFL. There are no exposed areas in this ride. Every conceivable visible surface is beautiful and covered by something. Imagineering craftsmanship is on full display inside this ride.

And of course they were blown away by the Shaman of Songs. And this is one that didn't thoroughly impress me in the videos as it clearly did other people. And I thought on video her voice came off as jarring and not very enjoyable. In person though, those concerns were all washed away as her voice is much better balanced against the background chorus. I will also say that this AA actually conveys emotion in her face. The range of expressions possible by this figure is staggering. The denouement of this ride, however, is a little uninspiring; but at that point I simply closed my eyes and enjoyed the music until we unloaded. I was glad to hear echoes of James Horner's original soundtrack, as I personally loved it in the movie and it was so sad to hear of his untimely death prior to the completion of this land.

Overall, the four of us loved this ride, including the queue. And for full disclosure, I feel that it only stumbles a bit in the end. The screens though I thought were magnificently done. They were used with a degree of subtlety that I frankly really appreciated. FoP just clobbers you and all of your senses with a sledgehammer (as it should). This ride is a simple ride, where the Na'vi have given you a peak into their mysterious, bioluminescent world. And the screens are hidden within the plethora of physical sets and props, so that you are allowed glimpses of animals and Na'vi, some up close and some way off in the distance. Again, this is done to such great effect that it might not be appreciated by all, but I loved it. It really created the illusion that you were far removed from the familiar, and were given this opportunity for a quaint, private journey into the world of the Na'vi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom