Narnia

BG Rugger

unkadug said:
Read the Book !!!

I've read the books, thanks. Are the Chronicles of Narnia supposed to be to the Bible what the Wizard of Oz is to the 1890s Populist Movement?? Is that how it works? I'm not trying to start a fight or an argument, its just that I don't follow Christianity so I'm curious.

Timmay

It is not a true allegory by any means...Lewis himself even said so.

His intention was to show what God and Jesus may be like if there were in fact other worlds besides our own.

As I said before, it is not intended to be a true allegory.

BG Rugger

Timmay said:

His intention was to show what God and Jesus may be like if there were in fact other worlds besides our own.

Ah, I see. Cool:king:

MissM

Timmay said:
or maybe you just shouldn't worry about it.
Or maybe if one person pushes to read it, it's just as valid to say they don't have to.

Freedom of speech goes BOTH ways.
-m

Pongo

Timmay said:

Actually, his real intent was writing an entertaining fairy tale for his goddaughter. Technically, it wasn't supposed to be an allegory at all. But his previous religious writings made people look into it deeper. And there are parallels. I don't think Lewis meant for there to be any, but there are.

Awesome books. Awesome movie. I love CS Lewis.

JeffH

Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"

I took my daughter on my birthday visitation today to see Narnia and we enjoyed a simply wonderful/marvelous movie. I was very moved throughout.
This was dispite:
Not really being into 'fantasy' films like this...
...unlike the 'dark' and dreary LotR, this film was much more light and entertaining.
Hearing a reviewer bash the 2nd half of the film beforehand (hogwash)...
...like most reviewers, he was completely wrong.
My 1st impression of the kids cast at the beginning of the film was bad...
...this impression was quickly reversed as the film progressed, and by the end of the film, I felt that these kids were just perfect for their parts.

I was aware of the allegory before I saw the film, and noted how 'Santa' appeared at the same time that Aslan returned (was 'born'), creating a wonderful 'link' between Santa and the birth of Christ. Then I noticed other allegories that I won't discuss so not to give anything away.

I am looking forward to seeing it again:xmas:
And to seeing the presentation at MGM
I'm glad to see that the numbers so far seem to indicate a great enthusiam for this film:
debuted as the weekend's top movie with $67.1 million, knocking "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," down to $10.3 million (3rd place behind "Syriana," at $12 m)
The three "Lord of the Rings" movies had respective debuts of $47.2 million, $62 million and $72.6 million.

Slacking

I pretty much agree with imagineersrock's opinion about the Behind the Scenes attraction.

I absolutely loved the snowy Narnia scene, very cool and very convincing.

I also loved the little "reveal" at the end of the preview. It surprised me and was a bit cheesetastic (which I love.) The addition of the White Queen scene was also kind of neat.

I do wish there was more to the "tour" than an extended Trailer and a few props. And I do mean a few props. There should ahve been more props.

But still, I recommend the "tour" since it'll only be there for a limited time and the snow set was cool.

Timmay

Pongo said:
Actually, his real intent was writing an entertaining fairy tale for his goddaughter. Technically, it wasn't supposed to be an allegory at all. But his previous religious writings made people look into it deeper. And there are parallels. I don't think Lewis meant for there to be any, but there are.

Awesome books. Awesome movie. I love CS Lewis.

Actually, he did.

Letter to Mrs. Hook 29 December 1958-

If Aslan represented the imaterial Deity in the same way in which Giant Despair represents Despair (in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress), he would be an allegorical figure. In reality, he is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, "What might Christ become like if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He actually has done in ours?"

Letters of C. S. Lewis, editor W. H. Lewis

bsandersjr

Yep, the "sets" are prob. not what you are expecting.
It was more like a 5-10 minuter trailer in a snowy forest. it was cool, but did not live up to my expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom