Napping on Rides/During Shows: Okay or Fau Pax?

Goofyernmost

Interesting Disney Sheer Speculation on my part fact: On Ellen's Energy Adventure, there is a loud, sudden dinosaur roar at the very end of the show (when Ellen points & says: "Watch out for that dinosaur...")

The loud roar was scripted into the show because the imagineers assumed many guests would be sound asleep by this point, and wanted a clever way to awaken those guests at ride's end. They didn't want CM's to be burdened by having to go car by car...aisle by aisle, having to wake and ask sleeping guests to exit the building, as this would slow the loading time for the incoming crowd.

The loud dino roar works as a very clever sudden jolt to snap guests out of their attraction-induced slumber...making them awake & aware the show is over and it's time to exit.

The original plan in the script was to have Bill Nye show back up at the very end, fire a shotgun into the air while shouting: "Bazinga!". But imagineers/producers of the film figured that method would be completely pointless to the story...thus the dino roar was added instead.

(Please Note: My claims are based on absolutely nothing but sheer speculation.)
I fixed the first line for you... good story though! You know that someone will never read past the first paragraph and that will be heard all over Epcot by tomorrow. Bus drivers and CM's all of whom like to feel that they are one of the first lines of information about Disney trivia will be spreading their superior knowledge to anyone that will listen. Not really anything that will do any harm, so let's go with it.:joyfull:

Fox&Hound

I don't know...If I was going to build a theme park I would want to keep guests happy and not cranky. By providing shows and rides with long durations it's like you are forcing your guests to rest a bit. That way they can stay longer and spend more. I'm sure people expect it on rides like TTA (seriously my favorite so I mean no disrespect). I mean, parts of the ride are long dark tunnels with nothing to look at. Seriously....

BethG

When I'm at WDW, I'm not a rope drop person. I sleep until I wake up, so I'm not usually tired. Even so, there are two times I have fallen asleep. Once on CoP. It was are second time on it because my kids decided they loved it. The second was in the Country Bear Jamboree. I got so bored. So, it was involuntary. I don't thing you can accuse someone of being rude when they do something involuntary.

Ulysses McGill

I've purposely ridden Carousel of Progress to take a nap before. I also remember during last year's 24 Hour Party, I passed out at Presidents. Went there to sit and had no idea I was so tired. The lights went down, then next thing I know everyone is exiting the attraction.

The World Showcase movie features are also another set of areas where not dozing off can be challenging.

Although to date, I've never dozed off at DHS or DAK. Just Epcot and MK.

mergatroid

I don't know...If I was going to build a theme park I would want to keep guests happy and not cranky. By providing shows and rides with long durations it's like you are forcing your guests to rest a bit. That way they can stay longer and spend more. I'm sure people expect it on rides like TTA (seriously my favorite so I mean no disrespect). I mean, parts of the ride are long dark tunnels with nothing to look at. Seriously....

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at what people get upto in the rides at Disney, completely unaware that they're being watched by cameras :eek:

sheriffwoody

We always get a little nap in during the afternoon back at the resort. It also gives us time to freshen up and maybe even take a quick shower before dinner.

I admit that I did nod off during America Adventure because I was so tired and it was dark in there. I was mad at myself though, and I am going to try again next time! I'll sit closer maybe. I definitely don't fall asleep in Carousel of Progress. It's delightful!

All that said, I don't think twice if I see someone sleeping. It doesn't affect my experience.

skyphotographer

Nothing wrong with catching a nap. After walking in the hot sun for hours, you put someone in a comfortable chair in a dark, cool theater, its hard for most to stay awake. Especially if you've seen the attraction a dozen times. Cop in the middle of the afternoon was made for napping.

jensenrick

I think it's rude during live shows (where the performers can actually SEE you), but otherwise, if you're not disturbing anyone, I see no reason why you can't nap away! I prefer quiet, napping neighbors to noisy, flash-photographer neighbors any day.

I don't think it's rude then either. If the show can't keep me awake, that's on them, not me.

KCheatle

I say Good Luck trying to control that! I love CoP and the American Adventure. Honestly, they are the 2 things I look forward to most when I go to WDW. But, even I tend to nod off during them after a long, hot day! :oops: It is what it is. I don't get mad at people for it, and I certainly hope they don't get mad at me! o_O:p

KLinder7

Never fully fell asleep in the parks, but I'll admit I had to fight it pretty hard a couple of times when I felt my eyes shutting. I'm the type who doesn't get enough sleep. Start early in the morning and close down the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom