Nantucket Harbour House?

SewIn2Disney

Original Poster
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Nantucket Harbour House? I have an old map of the Magic Kingdom that was given to me. It's entitled "A Guide to the Magic Kingdom", and I'm trying to date it, as there is no date on it, nor does the person who gave it to me know when they got it. (The logo on the map is the old Cinderella Castle with the Contemporary off to the Right and a sailboat in the front of it logo). The whole map is very cartoony (moreso then the realistic drawings of todays maps) and nothing seems to be to scale or very accurate.

I was using the attractions that are and aren't there to narrow down a time frame for the map--and so far I have between 1972-1975, and the only thing on the map that I have been unable to locate is something called the "Nantucket Harbour House". I'm guessing that it's obviously the predacessor to the Columbia Harbour House, but I was wondering if anyone knew when the name changed? Surprisingly my Disney A-Z Book does not mention it at all.

If this was indeed the name for the Columbia Harbour House before the park opened, then I'm guessing this map is from 1972---which would really excite me!

Also, when the Mike Fink Keelboats were in existance, where did they depart from? I always assumed it was by the raft to Tom Sawer Island, but on this map, it shows it in the little "hut" where the Fastpasses to HM used to be distribuited.
Either way, they're gone now, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Thanks for any help. :wave:

Micca

Not any kind of genius, but I suspect your hunch is correct. Maybe that's when they still had the Monte Cristo ala Blue Bayou at DLR.

Figment82

The Keelboats did indeed depart from the dock below the Haunted Mansion. The area is actually still there today - you can still see it quite easily from Frontierland. Worst ride ever - especially if you are claustrophobic!

alanbrai

To the best of my knowledge the "Columbia Harbour House" openned when the Magic Kingdom openned itself as "Columbia Harbour House". So as far as Nantucket Harbor House being an old name for CHH I do not think that is the case. If I am incorrect about this I am sure someone else will let us know.

SewIn2Disney

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies----I'm still searching the internet, and I haven't come up with anything. This is really interesting, considering most of the Disney information is so readily available online, and I can't find anything about this.

Isnt there some website that shows all of the Disney maps? Hmmm.....google......

vonpluto

The earliest guidebook I have (titled "WDW Information Guide) is dated 1972, and was used during a friends trip in May, 1972. Columbia Harbor House is listed as a Liberty Square eatery.

Some WDW locations had different (working) names prior to their opening.
Horizons = Century 3
Contemporary = Tempo Bay
Grand Floridian Cafe - Southernaire

I wonder if you have a pre-opening or test guide book?
That would be quite a find!:xmas:

SewIn2Disney

Original Poster
Where is this "This Thread is Useless without Pictures" icon? lol
Here are some pics. I don't think it would really be worth anything, as there are quite a few tears where it has been folded and unfolded, and there is some yellowing and staining. I just wanted to know the year of it. I may still get it framed, because it is cool.
But anyway, here are some pictures.
The whole map:

The logo: (All it says is (c) Walt Disney Productions--no year)

Close up of the logo: (I love this logo)

Is this all there was to Tomorrowland? Wow!:

And the "Nantucket Harbour House" number 39 , and the Mike Fink Keelboats launch-number 41

Sir Hiss527

What year did they add the Partners Statue? In that map, where the Partners Statue is today, there seems to be a flag pole. Any ideas?

By the way, could you zoom in, and take some pictures of Adventureland, and Frontierland? Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
worth.gif

Just for you. :D

lincicome

I have the same map. My parents bought it on our first trip to the world in 1972. You will notice that Pirates is not on it yet and neither is space mountain. The only map that is better is the one from the rooms of the Contemporary & Polynesian that is currently on Ebay listed for $135,000.

I'm pretty sure that is the first one that WDW sold of the Magic Kingdom.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I have a Walt Disney World Information Guide, in the form of a booklet not a fold out map, but still meant to be a park guide. It's dated 1972, and it has a listing for Columbia Harbour House. You may very well have something that was pre-1972 as someone mentioned earlier!

maelstrom

It's hard to tell from that map; things aren't really in the correct scale. I would think that whatever that is across from the Fantasyland Skyway station is the Columbia Harbour House, but it's hard to tell because they don't have the bridge on the map, and that's what I always go by. But I'm pretty sure that the Columbia Harbour House was never called the Nantucket Harbour House; maybe it was just a typo or misinformed map-maker.

SewIn2Disney

Original Poster
worth.gif

Just for you. :D

Thanks! Haha

What year did they add the Partners Statue? In that map, where the Partners Statue is today, there seems to be a flag pole. Any ideas?

By the way, could you zoom in, and take some pictures of Adventureland, and Frontierland? Thanks!

That's a good question. I kind of assumed that the partners statue was here from day one. I'm learning so much by researching things from this map! And I thought I knew it all about WDW! Haha....lol.

And I will get you some pictures by tonight. Its amazing what "major" attractions weren't there in the early 70's, isn't it?

I have the same map. My parents bought it on our first trip to the world in 1972. You will notice that Pirates is not on it yet and neither is space mountain. The only map that is better is the one from the rooms of the Contemporary & Polynesian that is currently on Ebay listed for $135,000.

I'm pretty sure that is the first one that WDW sold of the Magic Kingdom.

Awesome---so that helps with the date. I had thought it was an opening or pre-opening map of some sort. What is the map on Ebay under? I love looking at that map, and would love to see it again. I'd love to own one! You'd think Disney would make a recreation of that map to sell!

Thanks again everyone.
I'll get more pictures up later!

PhilharMagician

I am going with a preopening version map. :shrug:

I do not see the Tiki Birds, the Jungle Cruise layout looks wrong. Also the water in Adventureland seems to some up all the way to where Aladin's carpets are now. The train station in Tomorrowland?? The small tent behind Dumbo seems to be way to far back. Almost to the point of interfering with the main level entrance for the utilidors. and there are a few other quirks. All of this could be just scaling.

Can you get a few more detailed shots of the key and some of the areas you missed when you zoomed in.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The partners statue is newish in the last 10 years or so, I believe.

No information on the Nantucket Harbour House though. My first trip was December 1973, but I was 5 and not smart enough to save anything.

Neat find you have there, though.

Trixie52

My best guess is to say it would be a pre-opening map, or maybe that was an idea for the name of the restaurant that was changed and not communicated to the map designer before the opening day. Tomorrowland is under developed and some of the big attractions are not there. The keel boats did, in fact, launch from the dock directly across, and there are no other restaurants in that area. Also, the Columbia Harbor House is New England sea-faring themed, so Nantucket would be appropriate as well. Awesome find!!

Cmdr_Crimson

Also, when the Mike Fink Keelboats were in existance, where did they depart from? I always assumed it was by the raft to Tom Sawer Island, but on this map, it shows it in the little "hut" where the Fastpasses to HM used to be distribuited.
Either way, they're gone now, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Thanks for any help. :wave:

I like this site..It has an explination about the keelboats
http://www.waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id184.htm

PhilharMagician

My best guess is to say it would be a pre-opening map, or maybe that was an idea for the name of the restaurant that was changed and not communicated to the map designer before the opening day. Tomorrowland is under developed and some of the big attractions are not there. The keel boats did, in fact, launch from the dock directly across, and there are no other restaurants in that area. Also, the Columbia Harbor House is New England sea-faring themed, so Nantucket would be appropriate as well. Awesome find!!

When MK opened Tomorrowland was very limited. Cop wasn't moved until 1974 and Space wasn't open till 1975 so seeing all of those trees would have been correct.

Another thing I was thinking about last night as that the Peter Pan's Flight/Mickey Mouse Review bldg does not seem to be there on the map and they opened with MK. Also Swiss Family Tree House opened with MK and I do not see it on the map. Another note is that PotC Opened in 1973 and i would think if the map was being distributed in the park it would show the Future Site of PotC.

Please post some more close up pics of the legend on the bottom of the map and also some close-ups of the areas not covered in the current pics. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom