Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

alissafalco

Ok. So no Captn' Cooks, refurbs going on in lobby, no Wyland Galleries. Limited space on beaches due to construction. Now pool closing. Monorails I'm assuming will be up to normal schedule by then...

I'm sure they're charging the same rates, while ALL of this is going on. And people are really paying it?

Mind. Blown.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Who in their right mind would pay their rates to stay there, in a construction zone???

Club34

Poly is getting a de-furb, Lobby is being trashed with removal of water feature and rebuilt like the cheap-a-- BLT lobby. Volcano going buh-bye. It will be a resort named after the Poly but it will not BE the Poly any longer.

You need to copyright "de-furb" before Disney does as that appears to be what they are doing most of the time now. Poly is such a good example of this. To gut the GCH water feature and not replace it with some similar and suitable is/will be a crime against WDW humanity. I actually welcome the removal the volcano as it was a bit cheesy. I felt it was poorly executed. However, the addition of a hot tub [make it hold more than 3 people-looking at you CBR] and some great theming could make it rival my home pool at CSR. We'll see what comes out in time.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You need to copyright "de-furb" before Disney does as that appears to be what they are doing most of the time now. Poly is such a good example of this. To gut the GCH water feature and not replace it with some similar and suitable is/will be a crime against WDW humanity. I actually welcome the removal the volcano as it was a bit cheesy. I felt it was poorly executed. However, the addition of a hot tub [make it hold more than 3 people-looking at you CBR] and some great theming could make it rival my home pool at CSR. We'll see what comes out in time.

A hot tub would be great but that's really no reason to eliminate the volcano OR the CGH lobby. :\

The volcano is cute, I rather like it. Then again, I haven't seen the Poly pre-volcano, so... there's that.

And I absolutely agree that gutting out the water feature in the GCH is a crime against WDW humanity. They should be ashamed of themselves.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A hot tub would be great but that's really no reason to eliminate the volcano OR the CGH lobby. :\

The volcano is cute, I rather like it. Then again, I haven't seen the Poly pre-volcano, so... there's that.

And I absolutely agree that gutting out the water feature in the GCH is a crime against WDW humanity. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Yes they SHOULD be ashamed of themselves - how many times have all of us gone to the GCH just to soak up the ambiance even if we were not staying at the Poly, I know I have done it many times.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yes they SHOULD be ashamed of themselves - how many times have all of us gone to the GCH just to soak up the ambiance even if we were not staying at the Poly, I know I have done it many times.

Truthfully, I've been to wdw once. I'm a Disneyland kinda girl, for years and years. But I stayed at the Polynesian and there is simply no way to capture that feeling of first seeing and smelling and fully experiencing that resort. It's...dare i say, magical. It was a hundred times better than I could ever imagine. I absolutely loved our room, I photographed every detail of the room, including the bathroom, for future use. (I'm an artist, this is what I do.)

I fully expected to love the volcano pool but while we stayed there, I fell in love with the smaller quiet pool. I often went swimming at one in the morning. I ate dole whips by the pool every night. I soaked it up and thoroughly enjoyed having that pool all to myself. I made friends with the local lizards and the bunny.

In short, the poly blew me away. It was more than I could expect, more than I DID expect, and I'll simply never forget walking into the GCH for the first time and smelling the flowers and pineapple and seeing that masterpiece lobby focal point.

I would be devastated to have booked a vacation there and walk in to see construction walls in the lobby, no volcano pool, no captn cooks (meaning, no dole whip at three am) and limited beach access not to mention construction walls around the resort.

It breaks my heart. I know it's a hotel, I shouldn't get attached, I'm just a newbie anyhow, blah blah whatever, but the fond memories of a long overdue vacation with my mom stick to the insides of my mind. Happy times were there. Worries were forgotten dreams were literally coming true.

Maybe I'm just a romantic. Or maybe delusional. You decide.

I could have gone to wdw years ago, but chose to save up a bit more to stay at a deluxe resort. I won't be able to afford it again, unless I don't vacation anywhere for another five years, just for a week at the poly. The prices are just outrageous. And to pay that with all of the construction and minussing going on, no, thank you. :(

fractal

That's not the point. No one is jumping off a cliff. It's a matter of paying a huge sum of cash for an incomplete experience. Unless you like construction sounds and walls, then by all means, shell out $490+ a night to have it.

Not referring to that - if people want to stay there during construction that's up to them. I'm referring to all the talk about "de-furbs" and how this is going to ruin the Poly. I stayed there in August and as beautiful as it was, the resort felt dated and in need of major TLC -

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why don't we just wait and see what they do with the refurbs before jumping off a cliff.

Some have seen the preliminary artwork for GCH and immediately found closest cliff to jump off, In short it's planned as a 'see through' lobby like the tile wasteland at BLT, It will probably use flagstone instead of marble but if you have seen the lobby at BLT you have the general idea of the new lobby at the GCH.

I personally have not seen the artwork but I have heard descriptions of it and it's designed to be cheap to maintain not to be beautiful like the existing GCH lobby.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's not the point. No one is jumping off a cliff. It's a matter of paying a huge sum of cash for an incomplete experience. Unless you like construction sounds and walls, then by all means, shell out $490+ a night to have it.

Yes shell out $490 for a 350 sq ft room, $424 buys you a 1300 sq ft suite and a full breakfast at the Hilton Orlando it even has a walkway to the OC Convention center.

Now with property to have the ambiance and amenities of a Hampton Inn why would one stay there any longer other than to get on property benefits???

Soarin' Over Pgh

Yes shell out $490 for a 350 sq ft room, $424 buys you a 1300 sq ft suite and a full breakfast at the Hilton Orlando it even has a walkway to the OC Convention center.

Now with property to have the ambiance and amenities of a Hampton Inn why would one stay there any longer other than to get on property benefits???

The only amenities this resort under construction offers are the monorail and ferry. And a small pool, for the entire resort. No quick service, no midnight dole whips. Minus one gallery as well.

I just don't get it. Too much money for too little offerings. Even if they are slightly lower prices as someone earlier mentioned, the cuts aren't deep enough.

If I were booked here for that time period, I would switch reservations to another hotel without thinking twice about it.

fractal

Some have seen the preliminary artwork for GCH and immediately found closest cliff to jump off, In short it's planned as a 'see through' lobby like the tile wasteland at BLT, It will probably use flagstone instead of marble but if you have seen the lobby at BLT you have the general idea of the new lobby at the GCH.

I personally have not seen the artwork but I have heard descriptions of it and it's designed to be cheap to maintain not to be beautiful like the existing GCH lobby.

I'm give them the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until they're finished. There is no doubt though, that the rooms prices are crazy. The three most important rules of Real Estate - Location, Location, Location.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm give them the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until they're finished. There is no doubt though, that the rooms prices are crazy. The three most important rules of Real Estate - Location, Location, Location.

I'm quite certain that Disney will far undershoot my very low expectations for the 'New Poly', The only thing to be seen is by how much.

"Closing in August 2014, reopening sometime in 2015"

This refurb will probably take more time than it did to build the original pool. I just can't understand why it take so long to build things now a days.
I think it is because they want to spread the cost over several quarters to make it look like they are spending less in a quarter. It makes it look like they are making more than spending.

StarWarsGirl

Not referring to that - if people want to stay there during construction that's up to them. I'm referring to all the talk about "de-furbs" and how this is going to ruin the Poly. I stayed there in August and as beautiful as it was, the resort felt dated and in need of major TLC -
Yes! Thank you, it is incredibly dated. I've been to the real Hawaii, and Poly looks more like Honolulu international airport than, say Aulani. It needs an update. I agree that prices should be lowered because it is under construction, but all in all, it's currently extremely dated.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think it is because they want to spread the cost over several quarters to make it look like they are spending less in a quarter. It makes it look like they are making more than spending.

I understand this on dot but I'll never understand why they use it. Why can't they stnd up to the BoD and say "look, we dumped 60 million into park A this quarter, started and completed this brand new ride and surrounding area".... and have the damn ride done and completed, then go back and show the next quarters figures and show how it boosted sales/tickets/ etc.

This is probably why I'm not in finance for a living.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom