Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

nicb88

Does anyone have any idea why they introduced a large patch of grass outside the GCH? I realised they may have wanted a clear view to the Castle but I was just curious if this grass was included for 'Movies Under the Stars' or something?

chiefs11

Does anyone have any idea why they introduced a large patch of grass outside the GCH? I realised they may have wanted a clear view to the Castle but I was just curious if this grass was included for 'Movies Under the Stars' or something?
Because destroying the waterfall feature inside wasn't enough, they wanted to take the lush tropical stream in the back out, too.

;)

But, seriously though, isn't that where they're going to do the torch ceremony and other activities? Possibly the movies too?

Bocabear

I didn't think the pool could get uglier.....and then it did... Maybe it is prettier in person, but wow... talk about defurb.... Glad they put in a hot tub and play zone, but the main feature with the very strange waterfall...just a real miss..

chiefs11

I didn't think the pool could get uglier.....and then it did... Maybe it is prettier in person, but wow... talk about defurb.... Glad they put in a hot tub and play zone, but the main feature with the very strange waterfall...just a real miss..
I agree for the most part... though I do like the smaller, more subdued look of the volcano and the addition of the hot tub. But the rest is a big 'Meh' for me. The loss of the stream 'feeding' into the pool is a real shame, I thought that really added to the lush feel for the area. I don't really care for the fence, especially at the beach end. The waterfall that came off the volcano into the pool used to cover that whole area, and now it's just a tiny little stream thing. Wish they could have left that alone, but I think I read somewhere, probably on here, that it was reduced to make it easier for the life guards to see in there.

Bocabear

1977PolyPool01.jpg

The original pool was better scaled and more beautiful...

Bocabear

You know, the original pool slide and structure were tiny in comparison to the gigantic stonework that is there now...Amazing that the original designers could convey a sense of being in Polynesia with a much smaller and more intimate scale... The new rockwork may look more like a real lava flow, but it does far less in conveying the theme... How can they bungle every design decision with this hotel?

chiefs11

You know, the original pool slide and structure were tiny in comparison to the gigantic stonework that is there now...Amazing that the original designers could convey a sense of being in Polynesia with a much smaller and more intimate scale... The new rockwork may look more like a real lava flow, but it does far less in conveying the theme... How can they bungle every design decision with this hotel?
That original pool, combined with the lush grounds and stream they just removed leading from the GCH, plus the new hot tub. . Now that might have been perfect.

Sped2424

The pool is actually one of the pluses of this entire project. Taco bell huts suck that I don't deny as does the downgrading of the lobby, but I actually think they elevated the pool area. The old volcano was inaccurate in it's portrayal and looked something like mount st helen rather than something you would find in the tropics of hawaii.
Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_21499.jpg;width=640

Sthelens1.jpg

24ds064_L.jpg
'
Puʻu ʻŌʻō ^ active volcano in hawaii
Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_23819.jpg;width=640

New poly volcano. Nothing off about this other than it giving a better depiction of what these formations actually look like in tropical locations.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I get that it looks more accurate, but it just doesn't look better...I understand the yellow stains are from the sulfur deposits and stuff like that...but is it pretty?...the much reduced waterfall...it's easier for the lifeguards to see...but does it look good? Maybe the landscape needs to grow back in, but honestly this is not appealing...not in pictures anyway. The original original pool I am sure was not accurate at all but it conveyed the message... it had a sense of scale and staging....where this is just big...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I get that it looks more accurate, but it just doesn't look better...I understand the yellow stains are from the sulfur deposits and stuff like that...but is it pretty?...the much reduced waterfall...it's easier for the lifeguards to see...but does it look good? Maybe the landscape needs to grow back in, but honestly this is not appealing...not in pictures anyway. The original original pool I am sure was not accurate at all but it conveyed the message... it had a sense of scale and staging....where this is just big...

I'd agree it's just MEH, My comment about set dressing still holds the current one is more accurate yet does not give the 'feeling' of being a volcano like the old one did. My opinion here is the current imagineer's technical skills far exceed their artistic and creative skills. They've built a wonderful small scale model of a volcano, Not something which says 'Volcano' to the average guest.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

They are technicians not artists, The two are not mutually exclusive but the 'Old' imagineers were artisans who worked with their heart, head and hands to create amazing stuff for us.

The 'new' guys can make 3D models because they work only with their head and happily create 3D models on the computer which they then 3D print and paint by the numbers.

For the most part they don't have the skill to create a mockup by hand sculpting and carving to make the model so the miss the insights you get while handcrafting something.

mm121

Here is a video walk through

Really hate that due to a few stupid people they've had to fence in all the pools. It really ruins the openness.

Anyone know if they have security guards at all the pools gates like they do at beach club?

or if its still possible to use the pools "after hours"? as that was one of the best things about disney, as i hate paying for a hotel that the pool closes at like 9/10pm since when i travel I'm usually not getting back to the hotel till then or later, and then like to have a relaxed night then sleep in a bit in the morning.

cspencer96

They are technicians not artists, The two are not mutually exclusive but the 'Old' imagineers were artisans who worked with their heart, head and hands to create amazing stuff for us.

The 'new' guys can make 3D models because they work only with their head and happily create 3D models on the computer which they then 3D print and paint by the numbers.

For the most part they don't have the skill to create a mockup by hand sculpting and carving to make the model so the miss the insights you get while handcrafting something.
I really wish you would stop throwing accusations out like that. 3D CAD modeling is not a 'head only' process, as I'm sure any other designer on these boards would attest. The Imagineers of today, using the technology at their disposal, are technical artisans. There is not a firm separation between the two. Most likely they did use clay ON TOP of 3D printed models and then scanned that back in to their designs to further refine them, and get a feel for the work. They are artisans with great technical ability, and this is truly an accurate and beautiful piece of sculpture. It isn't a cartoony representation of a volcano as the guest would expect, its true to what they would see in a tropical volcanic setting. There is absolutely no way you can legitimately knock the Imagineers for designing it that way, other than the typical "old is better, new is rotten" argument.

Don't act like it's just today's guys, either. The process of using clay, computer modeling, and combining those two forms of planning and design has been used for years by WDI. They used CAD and clay techniques to get the basic shape of the Tree of Life, including most of the designs for the larger animals, before it was assembled according to the plans generated by the scanned and refined computer models. You know this, I'm sure. Stop being so perpetually negative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom