Name changes that changed nothing

mharrington

Original Poster
Surprised nobody has mentioned EPCOT Center to EPCOT '94 to EPCOT '95 to Epcot.

That, too, was covered by Parkeology in their article on no-change name changes:

SAME PARK, FOUR NAMES
It's a single word today. Epcot. It seems like we've always known that word. As far back as the 1960s, Walt was using it to tout his Florida Project, which then became known as Disney World, and then later changed to Walt Disney World. But to most of us, Epcot has always referred to a theme park.

There was a time when Epcot stood for something. A unified vision of the future, a harmony of all lands, an impossibly large parking lot. All true. But I was speaking more literally. Epcot is an acronym: Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. And as we all know, acronyms should be capitalized. Hence, the name of the park was EPCOT Center.

In 1994, EPCOT Center became the first Disney theme park in history to change names. I'm not talking about shortening it to simply Epcot, as it is known today. No, to get there, we have to dive into a dark period of Disney history that brought us pirates chasing food and the transformation of Cinderella Castle into a giant pink birthday cake. I'm speaking, of course, of the 1990s.

In 1994, EPCOT Center changed its name to Epcot '94. Don’t ask me why. I think the reason is that Disney was trying to shake the "boring", "educational" taint of EPCOT Center. They figured that the best way to do that was to rename the park like it was the caption to somebody's senior picture in a yearbook.

Looking back at Epcot '94 is a little like catching your favorite theme park dressed up in pegged jeans and a mullet. It's painfully awkward. This is an EPCOT Center that is trying to be hip, in-the-now, relevant to today's audiences. Only it still has movies about oil rigs, Walter Cronkite on the soundtrack, and Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk. Very cool in many ways, but definitely not High School Musical material.

But there were problems on the Horizons. After finally making a clean break from the stodgy image of old EPCOT, after months of changing signing and promotional materials and an ingrained corporate culture [and after Jeremy Irons usurped Walter Cronkite and Rick Moranis replaced Michael Jackson], Disney watched with horror as the calendar somehow rolled over from December 1994 to January 1995.

Just like that, Epcot was out of date. Again.

They scrambled around and updated everything all over again. Epcot '94 became Epcot '95. But the jig was up. Now it looked like Epcot had flunked a grade, and they had to bump its graduation year. Most of us were hoping it would be able to get into community college, but it was looking more and more like it might be Cosmetology school.

When 1996 rolled around, Disney marketers were ready. Epcot '95 became Epcot. Just one word, like Madonna. Now there's a woman who has never re-invented herself.

Matt_Black

Yes, but as much as Lincoln's name is often a talisman that elevates everything with which it can be associated, the meaning and context of "Dixie" have changed enough that I can see why Disney wanted to move away from it.

Dixie was also the name of Daisy Duke's jeep on The Dukes of Hazzard, and the Dukes fought for justice!

rct247

Disney's California Adventure ----> Disney California Adventure
Disney-MGM Studios ----> Disney's Hollywood Studios
If You Had Wings ----> If You Could Fly ----> Delta Dreamflight ---> Dreamflight -----> Take Flight
Carousel of Progress ---> Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Playhouse Disney ---> Disney Junior
The Barnstormer ----> The Barnstormer Starring the Great Goofini
Dixie Landings ---> Port Orleans Riverside
Downtown Disney -----> Disney Springs
Disney's Wide World of Sports -----> ESPN Wide World of Sports

strikeuptheband

Disney's California Adventure ---> Disney California Adventure

Still confused by that one.

All the changes the Grand Floridian has seen over the years (Grand Floridian Beach Resort, etc.)

The whole Disney's vs. Disney thing has to do with TWDC rebranding its products to remove the apostrophe s from logos and names. Notice how in older posters its "Disney's The Lion King" but now it's just "Disney Frozen" or "Disney Big Hero 6". I think they saw the park remodel as an opportunity to change that. So it isn't wrong to call it Disney's California Adventure but you just don't spell it out like that (or saying Disney's Frozen, but not writing it like that). It's dumb I know. But the apostrophe was so overused pre-2010 it almost seemed permanent in the Disney logo so they got rid of it for aesthetic and branding reasons.

What I don't get is why they religiously call the park "Disney California Adventure". It's such a mouthful and ridiculous to say. You don't call the movie Disney Frozen or Disney Tangled.
I think they should just call it California Adventure and write the logo as Disney California Adventure.

Which brings us to WDW, still waiting for the day they get rid of all the apostrophe s's that plague the parks. Disney's Hollywood Studios/Disney's Animal Kingdom. Ugh.

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

I believe this was a legality necessary due to Disney cutting ties with MGM. Not really a name change in the sense of them trying to change a name to freshen things up but more a necessity due to trademarks and such. I still call it MGM quite often and it brings a smile to the faces of some of the cast members who are longer in the tooth and have been around a while.

lazyboy97o

The whole Disney's vs. Disney thing has to do with TWDC rebranding its products to remove the apostrophe s from logos and names. Notice how in older posters its "Disney's The Lion King" but now it's just "Disney Frozen" or "Disney Big Hero 6". I think they saw the park remodel as an opportunity to change that. So it isn't wrong to call it Disney's California Adventure but you just don't spell it out like that (or saying Disney's Frozen, but not writing it like that). It's dumb I know. But the apostrophe was so overused pre-2010 it almost seemed permanent in the Disney logo so they got rid of it for aesthetic and branding reasons.

What I don't get is why they religiously call the park "Disney California Adventure". It's such a mouthful and ridiculous to say. You don't call the movie Disney Frozen or Disney Tangled.
I think they should just call it California Adventure and write the logo as Disney California Adventure.

Which brings us to WDW, still waiting for the day they get rid of all the apostrophe s's that plague the parks. Disney's Hollywood Studios/Disney's Animal Kingdom. Ugh.
And why is using the proper possessive so bad for branding? That's the question that goes unanswered. It's also been dragged out over many years, having first started in at least 2007.

JIMINYCR

Dixie was also the name of Daisy Duke's jeep on The Dukes of Hazzard, and the Dukes fought for justice!

I dont look at the word Dixie as offensive ... but in this overly sensitive, overly offended world lots of corporations change things just because it "might" offend someone.

This appears on the Port Orleans site...
On 1st March 2001, the transformation of Dixie Landings and Port Orleans into one large resort began with changes to road signage around the two resorts.
On 1st April 2001, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings officially merged to form one large resort. In fact, the two sections had always shared the same management team but this process completely removed all vestiges of the old Dixie Landings terminology. The reason for the merger has never been made completely clear, but many think it was largely due to the inferred racial and slavery undertones of the Dixie Landings cotton plantation backstory.

mharrington

Original Poster
View attachment 82147
View attachment 82148 Does this count?? Only bc it went from Polynesian Village to Polynesian Resort then back to Polynesian Village.
What about "Dixie Landings" to "Port Orleans Riverside." The slogan should have been, "Same great resort, Without the Confederate [Racist] Implications!"

Again, the Parkeology article also touched on both resorts in this regard:

RACIST RESORTS
Many people don't know this, but the Polynesian Resort, one of Walt Disney World's original hotels, was once known by a very different name. When the resort opened in 1971, it was called the Polynesian Village Resort. But as you no doubt learned in grade school, people from Polynesia find villages to be very offense (they prefer "towns" or "seaside communities"). So in the 1980s, the "Village" was dropped from the title.

The Resort hotels thought their days of angering people were over, but wouldn't you know it, history repeated itself. In 1992, Disney opened a pair of moderate hotels: Port Orleans and Dixie Landings. One had a classy, welcoming style. The other was based on New Orleans. Both resorts are still there today.

By 2001, the word "Dixie" had taken on some slightly racist overtones in connection with the Old South, and Disney decided to just rename their hotel rather than to try to explain their pure intentions. Dixie Landings became Port Orleans Riverside — sparking outrage among Polynesians, who prefer the term "Waterfront."

Of course, this article came out long before the Polynesian Resort was re-renamed the Polynesian Village Resort once again. I wonder what the Polynesians have to say now!

Monorail_Red_77

as a side note. I recently had the opportunity to explain to my oldest son who is soon to turn 10, about the Grand Opening plaques in each of the parks. Explained about how each park has their own plaque. But there is a difference with the Magic Kingdom's. I explained why it says Walt Disney World and not Magic Kingdom. Told him about a time before there was a Disney Spring or even a Downtown Disney but a Disney Village. About how there wasn't a Disney Hollywood Studio or even a Disney - MGM Studio. Not even an Animal Kingdom or EPCOT / EPCOT 95 / EPCOT 94 / EPCOT Center. Nor were they two large water parks. There was though a Magical Kingdom that had water skiing, lagoon dinner cruises, an island of discovery and an ol' fashioned watering hole.

Talk about wide-eyed wonderment.

DABIGCHEEZ

Disney's California Adventure ----> Disney California Adventure
If You Had Wings ----> If You Could Fly ----> Delta Dreamflight ---> Dreamflight -----> Take Flight
Carousel of Progress ---> Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Playhouse Disney ---> Disney Junior
The Barnstormer ----> The Barnstormer Starring the Great Goofini
Dixie Landings ---> Port Orleans Riverside
Downtown Disney -----> Disney Springs
Disney's Wide World of Sports -----> ESPN Wide World of Sports

Downtown Disney was originally called Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village... way back before Pleasure Island was added. I remember from my first trip there in the 70's.

Another is... Disney's Old Key West Resort opened as Disney's Vacation Club Resort.

DABIGCHEEZ

Diamond Horseshoe Revue changed to Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree then back to Diamond Horseshoe Revue, not sure if there were actually any changes as I never saw it under any name.

Astro Orbiter was not the original name... but I can not remember what they were called prior. Looked it up... Star Jets
Remembering another change... Conservation Station became Rafiki's Planet Watch

Last edited:

Monorail Mike

The ferryboats, originally called Magic Kingdom I, Magic Kingdom II and Kingdom Queen are now Richard F. Irvine, Admiral Joe Fowler and General Joe Potter.

Nick Wilde

The ferryboats, originally called Magic Kingdom I, Magic Kingdom II and Kingdom Queen are now Richard F. Irvine, Admiral Joe Fowler and General Joe Potter.
It was to honor Imagineers and other big influences in the making of WDW. Admiral Joe Fowler WAS an Admiral in the navy, and Fowler was hired as construction boss for the whole Disneyland project. After Disneyland was completed, Fowler stayed on as General Manager of the park for its first 10 years, and assisted with the construction of Walt Disney World. Richard F. Irvine was a big wig in WDI, who helped with Disneyland. He was one of the main designers for POTC, Haunted Mansion, and more. General Joe Potter was one of the chief designers of the Utilidors.

mharrington

Original Poster

Once again, that is mentioned on Parkeology, within a larger context...

FRONTIERLAND PEN NAME ROTISSERIE
If there's one writer that Disney theme parks absolutely love, it's Mark Twain. This guy is a like a Dot-Com marketing exec at a college bowl game naming rights auction. If you have an attraction up for grabs, Mark Twain wants his name on it.

He owns practically all of Frontierland at Disneyland. He's got the island based on Tom Sawyer, plus the Riverboat based on himself. It's oblong, it smokes, and it has a pasty white covering, just like Mark Twain's head.

Ironically, when the Magic Kingdom opened, they kept the island, but renamed the Riverboat after a senior Disney executive named Admiral Joe Fowler (what kind of parents name their kid "Admiral"?). Not to worry. Mark Twain got his revenge. He promptly inserted himself as co-host of the American Adventure, while Admiral Joe Fowler was relegated to a bit part as famed naturalist John Muir.

Admiral Joe was many things, but he was not a great American novelist. So when his Riverboat was damaged during a rehab in 1980, there was no public opinion to worry about and his boat was scrapped [though some of its pieces were salvaged to create a riverboat for Tokyo Disneyland, which is also owned by - you guessed it! - Mark Twain]. The strange thing was that at the time [of Admiral Joe's riverboat's closure], the Magic Kingdom actually had two Riverboats. The other was known as the Richard F. Irvine (another Disney legend), and it could handle the demand just fine. Thanks, Admiral Joe. Don't let the paddlewheel hit you on the way out.

In 1996, the Richard F. Irvine went down for rehab. And here is where things take a turn for the surreal.

When the Riverboat reopened, it had a new name: the Liberty Belle. In an uncharacteristic display of imperialism, Liberty Square had actually annexed the boat dock, leaving Frontierland a ride short. Poor Richard F. Irvine found himself literally kicked to the Magic Kingdom curb along with Admiral Joe Fowler, forced to ferry the newly dead across a sea of lost souls.

Both men had their names slapped onto existing ferries that traverse the Seven Seas Lagoon to the TTC, replacing the original, wonderfully creative names of Magic Kingdom I and Magic Kingdom II. Around the same time, Tom Sawyer Island [was shut down] for rehab. When it came back up, sharp eyed visitors noticed another name change. Which leads us back to Mark Twain.

Mark Twain isn’t even the guy's real name. His true name, as everybody knows, is Larry McMurtry, but his birth certificate calls him Samuel Langhorne Clemens. When he bought the naming rights to Tom Sawyer Island's frontier stockade in the '70s, he named it after himself: Fort Sam Clemens. But when the stockade emerged from its refurb tarps in the late '90s, it had changed names again. This time it was Fort Langhorn. Yes, it was Mark Twain's middle name, minus an "e" (Prince Charming must have handled the spelling).

In one last bit of naming confusion, we circle back to Disneyland, home of the Mark Twain Riverboat and the original Tom Sawyer Island, which has since been renamed to Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island. They [used to] have a frontier stockade on their island as well, only it isn't named after Mark Twain. Instead, it is simply Fort Wilderness. Which just happens to be the name of Walt Disney World's giant campground. Good luck keeping all of this straight.

FettFan

meeko-ctx.jpg

Dinosaur_MK.jpg

To be fair though, they DID change the ending. Instead of the Carnotaurus charging you as you went back through the time warp, it was originally the meteor crashing down on you.

FettFan

The Lancer's Inn -> Gugi's Munchies and Crunchies -> Lumiere's Kitchen -> The Village Fry Shoppe (sponsored by McDonalds) -> The Friar's Nook

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom