Name changes that changed nothing

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe there should be a distinction between

- names changed that had to but outsiders think were dumb (because they don't know the reason)
and
- names changed for disney-only reasons that people think were dumb (initially initiated re-branding)

:)

I'm sure there is a sub category in there... name changes that had to happen, but the chosen name was still dumb :)

raven

Journey Into Imagination ---> Journey Into YOUR Imagination ---> Journey Into Imagination with Figment.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Journey Into Imagination ---> Journey Into YOUR Imagination ---> Journey Into Imagination with Figment.
Oh, I'd counter...that's one where the name change doesn't truly relate the massive changes that DID take place in each iteration.

WDW!

You are correct. My mistake. I guess a lot of people just called it Cinderella's Castle (and still is judging by the Internet.)

1971-WDW-Magic-Kingdom-Map.jpg
love the old school map!

Goofyernmost

Surprised nobody has mentioned EPCOT Center to EPCOT '94 to EPCOT '95 to Epcot.

Its direction changed more over time, but Disney World became Walt Disney World.

"Disney's" was slapped onto pretty much everything.

Because Walt died.
I was going to say that happened because of Walt's Death as a tribute from his brother Roy. It was named that before it ever opened and hasn't changed since then. I doubt it ever will.

Goofyernmost

At the time, the name change did not indicate a change in direction away from EPCOT.
I'm not sure that I follow what you are saying. What did the name Disneyworld change to Walt Disney World have to do with Epcot. I don't see the connection in the two statements.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure that I follow what you are saying. What did the name Disneyworld change to Walt Disney World have to do with Epcot. I don't see the connection in the two statements.
The subject of the thread is name changes that were only name changes, not ones that reflected a content change. Disney World as announced was all about EPCOT, the city not Epcot the theme park. Walt Disney World since the late 1970s has been all about theme parks. The name change to Walt Disney World did not coincide with a change in content, as EPCOT was still the primary idea for the property in the late 1960s.

Weather_Lady

Now, to be fair, "Dixie" was one of Lincoln's favorite songs.

Yes, but as much as Lincoln's name is often a talisman that elevates everything with which it can be associated, the meaning and context of "Dixie" have changed enough that I can see why Disney wanted to move away from it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom