Pre-Trip My thank you Grandma blow out trip!

Please bear with me because this is my first attempt at any kind of trip report. I've had a lot of experience reading everybody's reports, so it may not be TOO bad. ;)

First off let me properly introduce ourselves. I'm Kim, and my DH (not technically, but close enough after 11 years together) Steve. We thoroughly enjoy getting our Disney on, and we generally make at least one DLR trip a year so we don't go through Matterhorn Macaroon withdrawals. This was from our Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour a couple of years ago when they let you go through the Dream Suite.

Disney dream pic.jpg

These are our fur babies. This is Kylie's cousin (@Tony the Tigger ), Kricket. She's two.

Patience Kricket.jpg

And this is Jaeger. He's only one.
Drunk Jaeger puppy.jpg

And we can't forget about Gizmo (a.k.a. Mo)

Studious Mo.JPG

These guys will be staying with his son while we are off playing. Small advantage of having a mid-20's son that doesn't have a lot of vacation time saved up. ;)

This trip is being made thanks to my Grandma who passed away a couple of years ago. She left me a nice chunk of change, and I have been the responsible adult with the majority of the money but I know that she would want me to do something that I absolutely LOVE too. That being said we are splurging a bit with this trip! We will be staying at The Polynesian with a theme park view!!! I'm sooooo excited about that! Steve has NO idea how much I'm spending on the trip, and it's probably best he doesn't find out. :cautious: This is the first time for him staying inside the Disney bubble at WDW. In the past I have stayed at the CBR with my parents, and at French Quarter with a friend. We stayed at the Swolphin for our last trip 5 years ago...at least I think that's right. Anyway it's been quite a while since we've been to WDW, and we're looking forward to some of the changes.

I need to enlist the help of my fellow WDW'ers for ADR ideas. The one and only ADR Steve has absolutely no say in is lunch at BoG. I was able to snag a reservation this morning...SOOOO excited!! The hitch to planning meals with Steve is that he is one of those people that food is simply a necessity for, and doesn't understand the fun in trying new foods or splurging a bit from time to time. He is also an incredibly "simple" eater...he won't eat chicken (or any meat) on the bone, no buffets, doesn't drink (which isn't a bad thing, but he doesn't always understand why I like to have a drink or two on vacation), and everything he eats is just "okay." I'll give you an example...we went out for a nice dinner at Skamania Lodge(https://www.destinationhotels.com/skamania/dining ) with his brother and his new girlfriend. We all had wonderful steak dinners, nice wine, and he requested the chef make him a grilled cheese sandwich!!! :jawdrop::facepalm::hilarious: I was momentarily mortified by his request, but got over it by the time I finished my wine.

That's all I got for now, but I will be sure to post updates as they come to me. Thanks guys for reading, and sending me any pixie dust and suggestions you might have! I'm on my own planning for this, but I have some time since the trip isn't until the first part of May. :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We loaded the dogs up with Benedryl and their eyes are not so goopy. The rain helped us out quite a bit to knock all of that pollen out of the air for us.

I'm going to start packing tonight. The upswing of rain means that I can pack all of my nice weather stuff for our trip. :joyfull:

I'm also going to look into doing Univeral for a day since our second AK day we aren't there until late in the day. Any suggestions? Probably going to look into doing the front of the line pass since we're only looking at one day at the park, and going to sign up for Uber. (We've never taken Uber before, so that's definitely a new thing for us.)

Can't help with any Universal information. But using Uber is super easy. You'll want to download the app and have your account made before you plan to use it so you can order it quicker when you need it. I think there is a discount on the first ride too.

riverside

Premium Member
We loaded the dogs up with Benedryl and their eyes are not so goopy. The rain helped us out quite a bit to knock all of that pollen out of the air for us.

I'm going to start packing tonight. The upswing of rain means that I can pack all of my nice weather stuff for our trip. :joyfull:

I'm also going to look into doing Univeral for a day since our second AK day we aren't there until late in the day. Any suggestions? Probably going to look into doing the front of the line pass since we're only looking at one day at the park, and going to sign up for Uber. (We've never taken Uber before, so that's definitely a new thing for us.)

I went for one day last summer & got the express pass. It was well worth it. I made the mistake though of getting the one that lets you on each ride an unlimited amount of times(I think that pass was about 20.00 more than the one that lets you ride something just once). With being there just one day there was no way we could ride something more than once--there just wasn't enough time. Also, if you can go without carrying a bag do it. On a lot of their rides you can't take a bag on with you. They have free lockers right by the ride but it is a complete convoluted mess!! It was actually stressful using them. People tripping all over each other with no regard for anybodys personal space--it was hot too so it pretty much was just plain gross!!

That was the first time I used Uber. It was great! Both times our ride was there within minutes. Our ride there was free and I think it was about 13.00 to get back to POR.

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
I went for one day last summer & got the express pass. It was well worth it. I made the mistake though of getting the one that lets you on each ride an unlimited amount of times(I think that pass was about 20.00 more than the one that lets you ride something just once). With being there just one day there was no way we could ride something more than once--there just wasn't enough time. Also, if you can go without carrying a bag do it. On a lot of their rides you can't take a bag on with you. They have free lockers right by the ride but it is a complete convoluted mess!! It was actually stressful using them. People tripping all over each other with no regard for anybodys personal space--it was hot too so it pretty much was just plain gross!!

That was the first time I used Uber. It was great! Both times our ride was there within minutes. Our ride there was free and I think it was about 13.00 to get back to POR.
Thank so much for the feedback! We won't be doing a lot of the screen simulation rides because they tend to make S green around the gills, so I think we might actually go on the roller coasters more than once to make the extra $$ a little more worth it.

Good to know about Uber. I'm liking the idea of a free ride because it would be our first as well, and $13 isn't bad for a return ride. Way cheaper than taking a taxi or renting a car for the day. :)

riverside

Premium Member
Thank so much for the feedback! We won't be doing a lot of the screen simulation rides because they tend to make S green around the gills, so I think we might actually go on the roller coasters more than once to make the extra $$ a little more worth it.

Good to know about Uber. I'm liking the idea of a free ride because it would be our first as well, and $13 isn't bad for a return ride. Way cheaper than taking a taxi or renting a car for the day. :)

If you're into roller coasters then getting that pass would be worth it then. It was my niece, boyfriend & myself. He & I don't ride coasters as intense as the ones they have there so my niece would ride by herself so it was worth the money for her not to have to stand in line as long by herself. She & I did a lot of the simulator rides by ourselves b/c after a few my boyfriend wasn't feeling good anymore. She & I went on the HP rides & we loved them!! She is a big HP fan so that was our main reason for going to Universal/IOA. Basically the pass for my boyfriend was a total waste of money.:arghh:

Uber was the way to go. They drop off/pick up really close to the entrance.

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
Is Universal okay with having phones in pockets if they are able to be secured? That's really the only thing outside of ID/credit card that I would need to bring with me to the parks. S generally wears shorts with the huge side pockets that nothing ever comes out of, so he could be my pack horse for the day. ;)

riverside

Premium Member
Is Universal okay with having phones in pockets if they are able to be secured? That's really the only thing outside of ID/credit card that I would need to bring with me to the parks. S generally wears shorts with the huge side pockets that nothing ever comes out of, so he could be my pack horse for the day. ;)
Yes--I had my phone in my pocket on the rides.

TheMouseFan

I believe the only two that won't work on is Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. You have to go through metal detectors before getting on those two.

riverside

Premium Member
I believe the only two that won't work on is Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. You have to go through metal detectors before getting on those two.
I wouldn't ride those rides(way too afraid of heights) but now that you mention it I vaguely recall holding my niece's phone from time to time so it was probably for those. So, I guess the dreaded lockers can't totally be avoided then if everyone in the group is going on the ride.:arghh:
Also, I didn't know about the metal detectors to get on those rides. I assume they're to make sure there is nothing in your pockets that could fall out & hurt someone during the rides?

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
Okay. Plans have been amended and tickets have been bought to spend the morning/afternoon at Universal Studios on Wednesday the 9th. We got the hopper and skip the line even though looking at the app the wait times didn't seem horrible. I just know that if I didn't get the skip the line tickets that the lines would've been horrendous, but now that they're bought the wait times will probably max out at 20 minutes! LOL!! :banghead::joyfull: Better safe than sorry since we're only there one day, right?

We will have plenty of time to get back to AK since our first FP isn't until 5:00, and I wouldn't be upset if we missed it since it's just Kali. I might even just drop the pass (for something different with a slightly later time) since neither of us are too gung ho about it. The only thing I do know that is both of us want to check out Pandora at night, and we have Navi River Journey for another of our passes at 6:30.

I'm also wavering on whether to keep RoL as a FP. @prfctlyximprct can you sell me on this? I am totally on the fence, and I need to be tipped one way or another.

Countdown is at THREE DAYS!!
1525299803235.png

I started packing last night, and realized that I might need to pick up a couple more shorts for my wardrobe. :oops: I figure I will be doing the travel snacks at Target after I drop Mo off at my parent's after work tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that I can find something halfway decent in a relatively short amount of time.

My parents have kindly agreed to take us to the airport in the morning on Saturday even though it is earlier than they like. I told them it was payback for me picking them up at the airport at 10:00 pm and me still having to get up at 4:30 the next morning. At least they can go back to sleep after they drop us off. :joyfull:

So totally excited at this point that my work is now taking the back seat to all of my internal planning running through my brain of all of the fun and food I'm going to be partaking of soon!! I really should get back to work now...sighs...three more days...I can do it!!

Rista1313

Okay. Plans have been amended and tickets have been bought to spend the morning/afternoon at Universal Studios on Wednesday the 9th. We got the hopper and skip the line even though looking at the app the wait times didn't seem horrible. I just know that if I didn't get the skip the line tickets that the lines would've been horrendous, but now that they're bought the wait times will probably max out at 20 minutes! LOL!! :banghead::joyfull: Better safe than sorry since we're only there one day, right?

We will have plenty of time to get back to AK since our first FP isn't until 5:00, and I wouldn't be upset if we missed it since it's just Kali. I might even just drop the pass (for something different with a slightly later time) since neither of us are too gung ho about it. The only thing I do know that is both of us want to check out Pandora at night, and we have Navi River Journey for another of our passes at 6:30.

I'm also wavering on whether to keep RoL as a FP. @prfctlyximprct can you sell me on this? I am totally on the fence, and I need to be tipped one way or another.

Countdown is at THREE DAYS!!
View attachment 281847

I started packing last night, and realized that I might need to pick up a couple more shorts for my wardrobe. :oops: I figure I will be doing the travel snacks at Target after I drop Mo off at my parent's after work tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed that I can find something halfway decent in a relatively short amount of time.

My parents have kindly agreed to take us to the airport in the morning on Saturday even though it is earlier than they like. I told them it was payback for me picking them up at the airport at 10:00 pm and me still having to get up at 4:30 the next morning. At least they can go back to sleep after they drop us off. :joyfull:

So totally excited at this point that my work is now taking the back seat to all of my internal planning running through my brain of all of the fun and food I'm going to be partaking of soon!! I really should get back to work now...sighs...three more days...I can do it!!

I'm sharing in your exact excitement! I found a better time for our BOG lunch on Sunday, it just happened to pop up today when I looked.. that allowed me to change out jungle cruise to before lunch.. so we weren't criss crossing the park twice. yay!

I have to go back and see what days your in which parks to see if we cross.

I had the same problem with shorts.. and I'm a fluffy gal, I ended up ordering skorts so that I could be comfy.

PacNWTigger

Original Poster
Do you have an itin of what days where? Am i missing it?
It kind of sporadic throughout my PreTR because I do this stuff at work. :cautious:
Sunday = AK (morning/early afternoon)
Monday = EPCOT (morning/early afternoon)
Tuesday = HS (morning) - afternoon is wide open might go to Disney Springs or water park after we get ice cream at Ample Hills ;):hungry:
Wednesday = Universal Studios (day)/AK (evening)
Thursday = MK (late morning/dessert party for fireworks that night for garden viewing)
Friday = MK (morning) - we fly out at 5:30 pm so I figure we might as well get some park time in

I'm leaving lots of open time to do whatever. I want to be able to enjoy the Poly since this was a big splurge for me. In the future I see us staying at more of the moderate resorts like POFQ (which I adore) or checking out Coronado. This might ruin S though, and he'll want to stay in deluxe from here on out...my heart would not be broken over that one.:hilarious: He liked staying at the Swolphin last time, so it would be an easy sell to stay around the boardwalk area.

Definitely have vacation brain now. I look at the paperwork on my desk (which continues to grow because I'm checking out TR'S) and I try to tell myself to break away from WDWMagic for a while, but it's just not quite working.:hilarious::facepalm:

Rista1313

It kind of sporadic throughout my PreTR because I do this stuff at work. :cautious:
Sunday = AK (morning/early afternoon)
Monday = EPCOT (morning/early afternoon)
Tuesday = HS (morning) - afternoon is wide open might go to Disney Springs or water park after we get ice cream at Ample Hills ;):hungry:
Wednesday = Universal Studios (day)/AK (evening)
Thursday = MK (late morning/dessert party for fireworks that night for garden viewing)
Friday = MK (morning) - we fly out at 5:30 pm so I figure we might as well get some park time in

I'm leaving lots of open time to do whatever. I want to be able to enjoy the Poly since this was a big splurge for me. In the future I see us staying at more of the moderate resorts like POFQ (which I adore) or checking out Coronado. This might ruin S though, and he'll want to stay in deluxe from here on out...my heart would not be broken over that one.:hilarious: He liked staying at the Swolphin last time, so it would be an easy sell to stay around the boardwalk area.

Definitely have vacation brain now. I look at the paperwork on my desk (which continues to grow because I'm checking out TR'S) and I try to tell myself to break away from WDWMagic for a while, but it's just not quite working.:hilarious::facepalm:

Wow our paths don't cross even one day! how is that possible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom