My Solution to Fix Genie+ and Reservations

yensid67

Original Poster
My solution is simple...
-To fix Genie+...Bring back free Fast Passes, that will make most guests happy! Keep the most popular attractions as PAID Lightning Lane options...this will make Disney happy! I am sure they will make money, maybe not like before, but it will be beneficial for guest's experience!
- Get rid of Park Reservations! Buying a park ticket(s) will entitle guests admission like it used to be! I am sure they can know how many people are coming by ticket sales...they have done it that way since 1971, so what changed them knowing!? I think Disney wanted to control capacity but, in the process, turned many guests away. They could limit the number of tickets sold each day.

(genie+ was created to encourage social distancing. But now that things have been relaxed, I think its time to get back to NORMAL (pre COVID)

nickys

Premium Member
My solution is simple...
-To fix Genie+...Bring back free Fast Passes, that will make most guests happy! Keep the most popular attractions as PAID Lightning Lane options...this will make Disney happy! I am sure they will make money, maybe not like before, but it will be beneficial for guest's experience!
- Get rid of Park Reservations! Buying a park ticket(s) will entitle guests admission like it used to be! I am sure they can know how many people are coming by ticket sales...they have done it that way since 1971, so what changed them knowing!? I think Disney wanted to control capacity but, in the process, turned many guests away. They could limit the number of tickets sold each day.

(genie+ was created to encourage social distancing
. But now that things have been relaxed, I think its time to get back to NORMAL (pre COVID)
Genie+ was announced well before Covid and have nothing to do with social distancing.

Kramerica

I prefer Universal’s Express Pass model. The problem with G+ is it’s JUST affordable enough that you feel like you need to add it to your ticket. After all, you’re already paying to fly to Florida, park your car at the hotel, stay at a very expensive hotel, pay the most you ever have for park tickets, etc. what’s another 20 bucks at that point?

The great thing about Express is that it’s prohibitively expensive. It allows you to splurge for the day, while not slowing down standby as severely as Genie+ does, which is my biggest gripe with the service.

Chi84

Premium Member
I prefer Universal’s Express Pass model. The problem with G+ is it’s JUST affordable enough that you feel like you need to add it to your ticket. After all, you’re already paying to fly to Florida, park your car at the hotel, stay at a very expensive hotel, pay the most you ever have for park tickets, etc. what’s another 20 bucks at that point?

The great thing about Express is that it’s prohibitively expensive. It allows you to splurge for the day, while not slowing down standby as severely as Genie+ does, which is my biggest gripe with the service.
How much did your family actually pay out of pocket for Express Pass at Universal?

dreday3

The Universal Express Pass doesn't include their two biggest rides - Hagrid's and Velocicoaster.

That kind of blows. :D That said, when we go we will be staying at hotel there that includes it with stay, so we can knock out the other rides and then wait in line for Hagrid's I suppose.

Weather_Lady

The Universal Express Pass doesn't include their two biggest rides - Hagrid's and Velocicoaster.

That kind of blows. :D That said, when we go we will be staying at hotel there that includes it with stay, so we can knock out the other rides and then wait in line for Hagrid's I suppose.
FWIW, it is VERY EASY to do Hagrid's and Velocicoaster when you have Unlimited Express Pass, since those are the only two rides you have to bother prioritizing. Just as if you were at WDW, do them first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, and your wait time should be reasonable. (Also as with WDW, the wait times in the app tend to be a little exaggerated.) Their queues are so well-themed (especially Hagrid's), you may even enjoy spending a few extra minutes in line! :)

dreday3

FWIW, it is VERY EASY to do Hagrid's and Velocicoaster when you have Unlimited Express Pass, since those are the only two rides you have to bother prioritizing. Just as if you were at WDW, do them first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, and your wait time should be reasonable. (Also as with WDW, the wait times in the app tend to be a little exaggerated.) Their queues are so well-themed (especially Hagrid's), you may even enjoy spending a few extra minutes in line! :)

We only have one full day there, so we will definitely start at open and end at close!

Weather_Lady

I agree with the OP, although I'd also get rid of Lightning Lane purchases. If Disney really needs people to spend more, charge more for tickets, and stop making planning so difficult and so dependent on burying your nose in your phone all day. My feelings on Genie+ and park reservations are best expressed thusly:

hated it damon wayans GIF

Kramerica

How much did your family actually pay out of pocket for Express Pass at Universal?
I’m a local and was able to apply it to my annual pass, but for most people it’s almost the same cost as your park tickets, usually a little over 100 bucks per person per day. Like I said, pretty expensive, but as a result the stand by lines aren’t as bogged down by Express being fed 5 to 1 like happens in WDW.

Plus, it’s just better. There’s no planning, no apps to deal with, no return times to work around, etc etc etc… You get Express and you can walk onto most rides in the park whenever you want. Instead of buying Genie+ day after day, trying to schedule in all of your plans, you can get Express for one day and do everything in the park. It’s really awesome.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m a local and was able to apply it to my annual pass, but for most people it’s almost the same cost as your park tickets, usually a little over 100 bucks per person per day. Like I said, pretty expensive, but as a result the stand by lines aren’t as bogged down by Express being fed 5 to 1 like happens in WDW.

Plus, it’s just better. There’s no planning, no apps to deal with, no return times to work around, etc etc etc… You get Express and you can walk onto most rides in the park whenever you want. Instead of buying Genie+ day after day, trying to schedule in all of your plans, you can get Express for one day and do everything in the park. It’s really awesome.
I would be nice to hear from someone who isn’t a local or staying in a deluxe Universal hotel how much they actually paid out of pocket for Express Passes.

I know how much it costs in theory. I’m interested to know who is buying it full price, for how many days and for how many people.

It’s possible that if Universal wasn’t giving it free to some resort guests there wouldn’t be enough using it to take as many people out of the standby lines. Also Disney would have a tough time with those prices given the number of rides they have. MK, maybe would work.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know how much it costs in theory. I’m interested to know who is buying it full price, for how many days and for how many people.
I know people that do it simply because they are wealthy enough not to just bury the cost and not focus on it.

I know others that simply buy the VIP experience and go all in too...

'Who is buying it'?? Simply put people who can afford to ignore the price and would rather avoid the lines.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know people that do it simply because they are wealthy enough not to just bury the cost and not focus on it.

I know others that simply buy the VIP experience and go all in too...

'Who is buying it'?? Simply put people who can afford to ignore the price and would rather avoid the lines.
No question that’s true. But my feeling is there are many more who can afford it but want some type of value for their money. Disney doesn’t want to lose those people.

That’s why I asked specifically to hear from people who actually do buy it, for how many people and for how many days.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No question that’s true. But my feeling is there are many more who can afford it but want some type of value for their money. Disney doesn’t want to lose those people.

That’s why I asked specifically to hear from people who actually do buy it, for how many people and for how many days.

But that's just it... if you are in the situation where the money doesn't matter... neither does the scalers of party size or days. They do the VIP/etc... get to do everything they want... and then go onto the next thing.

Chi84

Premium Member
But that's just it... if you are in the situation where the money doesn't matter... neither does the scalers of party size or days. They do the VIP/etc... get to do everything they want... and then go onto the next thing.
Right, I know. But would WDW get enough of those people to spend that kind of money to sufficiently lower the waits in standby lines?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Right, I know. But would WDW get enough of those people to spend that kind of money to sufficiently lower the waits in standby lines?
I'm not following - how would more people using premium line skip services reduce waits for others? You're just moving people from the line to the ride... that doesn't reduce waits for others.. it increases waits for everyone who was already in line when those people show up.

G00fyDad

My solution is simple...
-To fix Genie+...Bring back free Fast Passes, that will make most guests happy!
Disney doesn't care if you're happy.

Keep the most popular attractions as PAID Lightning Lane options...this will make Disney happy! I am sure they will make money, maybe not like before, but it will be beneficial for guest's experience!
Disney doesn't care if you're happy.

- Get rid of Park Reservations! Buying a park ticket(s) will entitle guests admission like it used to be! I am sure they can know how many people are coming by ticket sales...they have done it that way since 1971, so what changed them knowing!?
Disney did not know exactly what park you'd be at to help control their revenue flow.

I think Disney wanted to control capacity but, in the process, turned many guests away. They could limit the number of tickets sold each day.
That would mean less money. Disney will take a hard pass on that.

(genie+ was created to encourage social distancing. But now that things have been relaxed, I think its time to get back to NORMAL (pre COVID)
Where did you get that idea? It was created at the same time they were trying to social distance people but one has nothing to do with the other. Other than COVID downtime allowed them to bomb the FP+ all to h***.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm not following - how would more people using premium line skip services reduce waits for others? You're just moving people from the line to the ride... that doesn't reduce waits for others.. it increases waits for everyone who was already in line when those people show up.
There will always be line skip services; I thought one of the problems was getting the two lines to move a bit more evenly.

Jrb1979

I've bought it for my family as we didn't stay on property. We used to for 3 days and it cost us close to $1000. It was well worth the price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom