My plan of attack at Disney....opinions!

veryexcited

Assuming our flight (when we book it) has us into Orlando around lunch time, we will have 7 nights in Orlando. We will have the 4 day parker hopper pass and we want to do Universal as well. I know this is Disney boards but does it take 2 days to do U.S.?

Here is what I was thinking:

(Sunday) Oct. 8 - arrive hotel around 2ish...head to MK as it is open until 11pm that night

Oct. 9 - go to MGM as it is open until 9pm

Oct. 10 - go to Epcot

Oct. 11 - go to AK, then MNSSHP (it starts at 7pm right? And it is in the MK right?) This way we will get a "second day" at MK because it's impossible to see everything in one.

Oct. 12 - travel day to new hotel and relax

Oct. 13 & 14 - go to U.S.

Oct. 15 - go home

Any info on the meal plans would be great too. I didn't do them last time we went.

matthope03

You should be able to do everything that you want to do with that schedule. I went this past July when the crowds are busier and did MGM, MK, Epcot, US, IOA, and Seaworld in 1 week. We did one park a day, stayed off site and did not have park hopper passes. You should be fine with that schedule considering the crowds. As far as US is concerned, you should be able to do that in one day, but you will need another full day for IOA if that is what you are wanting to do. Otherwise two full days at US alone may be a little much. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

veryexcited

Original Poster
matthope03 said:
You should be able to do everything that you want to do with that schedule. I went this past July when the crowds are busier and did MGM, MK, Epcot, US, IOA, and Seaworld in 1 week. We did one park a day, stayed off site and did not have park hopper passes. You should be fine with that schedule considering the crowds. As far as US is concerned, you should be able to do that in one day, but you will need another full day for IOA if that is what you are wanting to do. Otherwise two full days at US alone may be a little much. Just a thought.

Ooops, I meant we were going to do both parks in 2 days, not just U.S. I've read that at MNSSHP you can walk on rides practically. This is what it was like in January...never waited in one line AND we went on the big rides 2 or 3 times in a row!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
veryexcited said:
Ooops, I meant we were going to do both parks in 2 days, not just U.S. I've read that at MNSSHP you can walk on rides practically. This is what it was like in January...never waited in one line AND we went on the big rides 2 or 3 times in a row!

MNSSHP is very varied. early in the month and midweek you should have a fairly light croud and be able to do the rides as you suggested. Fridays and weekends are different however.

It will also be Food and Wine Festival at Epcot during that time, don't know if that would provide additional interest.

Upvote 0

spacemtnfanatic

If you have never done Universal before, you may want two days. However, we always cruise through both Universal parks in a single day, and that is with the reduced January hours of 9am-7pm -AND- a lunch break and walk through City Walk.

As for picking parks at Disney...if you have the Hopper, don't set things in stone (especially this early). And, at least with our family...sometimes we are all happier if we spend half a day seperated either within the parks or at different parks so we can all have a morning or afternoon to ourselves to get what we want done, done.

And finally (just a personal preference) we always go to Universal at the beginning of the trip versus the end. We find our Universal day a great "warm-up" to unwind from "real life" into "theme park life" and would be let down if we went from a week of Disney magic to Universal for our last day instead. Again though, personal preference.

Upvote 0

veryexcited

Original Poster
And finally (just a personal preference) we always go to Universal at the beginning of the trip versus the end. We find our Universal day a great "warm-up" to unwind from "real life" into "theme park life" and would be let down if we went from a week of Disney magic to Universal for our last day instead. Again though, personal preference.[/quote]

Well our week all depends on when MNSSHP and HHN are going at both venues. If HHN dates fall first, then that's what we'll do first I guess.

One good thing about this trip is that we won't have any kids with us so we can bypass all the character autographs (I swear we have every single one, LOL) and things like that.

Upvote 0

SallyShine

Make sure to stay at a Universal hotel. If you do, you just show your room key and enter all rides through the fast pass lane. It's the one thing Universal has that kills Disney.

Upvote 0

TrentMom

Abbreviations

veryexcited said:
When will they post the dates for MNSSHP for 2006?

Hi I had asked in another thread, what MNSSHP stood for, but no one has answered me yet. Can you or someone tell me what it is?

Oh, if you go to touringplans.com, they have MNSSHP dates listed, whatever it may be?

Thanks so much

Trentmom:sohappy:

Upvote 0

disneytraceyl

It won't take you long at Universal. I went to Universal before the second park there opened. I was very disappointed. It was very dirty, nothing like disney. We went on all of the rides and it took us half a day. It definately is not disney.

Upvote 0

spacemtnfanatic

In our trip booking, we have found on-site Universal hotels to be outrageous. We always stay at the Fairfield right across the street on the night we arrive in at MCO...go to Universal for the day...then head to WDW that night.

Upvote 0

dumboflyer

Do Universal & Islands of Adventure in one-day, not two. You'll be a lot happier. Plus, that way, you can add another Disney day to your schedule ($3 will bump you from a 6-day to a 7-day). (Do Universal at the beginning not the end of the trip....otherwise, you'll be let down).

Also, when you have so much time, don't pay for the park hopping option. You won't use it. The only day that it shows you'll park hop is when you go to MNSSHP (Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party). That's NOT park-hopping because it is a separate ticket event. Since it is $35/person to add the park hopping option, it isn't worth it if you have at least 1 day for each park.

My favorite restaurants at WDW:
Epcot: Biergarten for lunch (German buffet with live oompah band)

Magic Kingdom: Crystal Palace for any meal (American buffet with characters and a great view of the castle)

Animal Kingdom LODGE: The Animal Kingdom Lodge (not Animal Kingdom itself) has a YUMMY buffet called Boma. It's African food but even picky eaters will be happy. Guide books rank it the best food for the money at Disney.

Polynesian (monorail away from Magic Kingdom): Ohana is an all-you-can-eat dinner. The food involves meats on 3-foot long skewers, the best potatoes in the world and homemade dips. The menu has changed for the better in the last year. It is a carnavore's dream, but you can also request the veggie option which is DELIGHTFUL too! My top pick actually!

HAVE FUN!

Upvote 0

disney180206

TrentMom said:
Hi I had asked in another thread, what MNSSHP stood for, but no one has answered me yet. Can you or someone tell me what it is?

Oh, if you go to touringplans.com, they have MNSSHP dates listed, whatever it may be?

Thanks so much

Hi There.....If you are still wondering, it stands for Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. Hope that clears it up

Upvote 0

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
veryexcited said:
Assuming our flight (when we book it) has us into Orlando around lunch time, we will have 7 nights in Orlando. We will have the 4 day parker hopper pass and we want to do Universal as well. I know this is Disney boards but does it take 2 days to do U.S.?

Here is what I was thinking:

(Sunday) Oct. 8 - arrive hotel around 2ish...head to MK as it is open until 11pm that night

Oct. 9 - go to MGM as it is open until 9pm

Oct. 10 - go to Epcot

Oct. 11 - go to AK, then MNSSHP (it starts at 7pm right? And it is in the MK right?) This way we will get a "second day" at MK because it's impossible to see everything in one.

Oct. 12 - travel day to new hotel and relax

Oct. 13 & 14 - go to U.S.

Oct. 15 - go home

Any info on the meal plans would be great too. I didn't do them last time we went.

The only part of your itinerary that I'm not too crazy about is your plans for Oct 15. I really think you should reconsider that. :animwink:

Upvote 0

octoberbarry

From experience, one important thing to do, if you're counting on the Halloween Party to do some of the rides you miss the first day, be SURE to find out in advance, as much as possible, which rides will be open during the Party. Not all will be, and we missed some rides we had wanted to catch, because we didn't have that info in advance. :(

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
TrentMom said:

Thanks so much

There are two seasonal, special ticket events during the year, MNSSHP and MVMCP, which are Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Both offer special parades, unique fireworks and free pictures, trick or treating, snacks and shows. Following are good summaries of the events (note, dates are from 2005):

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/mnssh.htm

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/hol_mk.htm

Welcome to a fellow Central Jersian :wave:

Upvote 0

AshAlytwins

As far as the meal plan goes...I highly recommend it...especially if you like to eat well. We saved about $350 for a family of 4 and we ate some excellent meals.
Have a great time.....ride EE for us!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom