My Personal Project Gemini for Epcot Future World

matt88mph

Original Poster
Okay, I've been hearing about Project Gemini for the longest time. Well, I thought about it, and I created my own Project Gemini. Here are the basic steps:

1. Get more land: If you really want to make Epcot a whizz-bang theme park, you need the ideas. And to create these ideas in a whizz-bang way, you need more land.

2. Converge Innoventions with Communicore: Here's the thought. Use Innoventions as the future of technology. Use Communicore as a way to further explore the ideas in each of the pavillions. Use Schoolhouse Rock videos in Communicore.

3. Bring back Horizons and World of Motion: Yes, keep Mission:Space and Test Track, but add back the originals. Update both and you have something. You don't need an E-Ticket ride to make a park popular. You need to convey your ideas properly. That's why Epcot was successful till M:S and TT came along.

4. Converge past and present Imagination rides: Cross Nigel Channing with Dreamfinder. And don't make the whole ride revolve around Figment.

5. Bring something to Wonders of Life: Body Wars and Cranium Command are great, but you need something to drag people to the area. I had the crazy idea of moving Food Rocks to WOL. Perhaps an E-Ticket ride is what this pavillion needs.

6. New storyline to Universe of Energy: I know Ellen is good, but it really needs to show the future of energy, not just the present.

7. E-Ticket ride to The Living Seas: Perhaps a very realistic simulator, or a Finding Nemo 3-D Show. Something, anything. It just gets so boring after a while.

8. Create two new pavillions: Something using weather and geology. I call them The Skies and The World Underground.

9. Make Horizons the staple ride: Since this is imaginary, I can do whatever I want. Move Spaceship Earth to another location and make the pavillion about the future in general the center of attention. Use the post-show area to advertise the other areas.

Anyone else have ideas to help Epcot?

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. I actually think you are on to something. However...

...what is this thing called "Horizons" I keep hearing everyone rave about? You guys are making me miss a "classic" ride that I never even knew. Nonetheless, if the ride was that spectacular, I really wish Disney would have kept it, so that other poor lost souls, like myself, could have the opportunity to experience it. Oh well...

Again, I really like your ideas!

Walter

Originally posted by antoinebusby
Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. I actually think you are on to something. However...

...what is this thing called "Horizons" I keep hearing everyone rave about? You guys are making me miss a "classic" ride that I never even knew. Nonetheless, if the ride was that spectacular, I really wish Disney would have kept it, so that other poor lost souls, like myself, could have the opportunity to experience it. Oh well...

Horizons was an attraction at Epcot that stood in the place where Mission: Space is, now. It showcased the visions of the future from the dawn of time, to now, focusing mainly on the family unit, and harmony in a community, and communication with on another. It was an omnimover that was highly themed, had original music, a beautiful building, and was all wrapped up in an inspiring message. On top of that, at the end, you could choose your own ending from desert, sea, and space. It was my personal favorite attraction of all time, and I know that many feel the same way that I do. It had so much potential, even for an update, and it was closed. I still hope to one day see a "New Horizons."

Anyway, matt88mph, your ideas are fantastic! It sounds great to me, nothing that I can object with.

matt88mph

Original Poster
Originally posted by antoinebusby

antoinebusby, worry no longer! You can find a video of the exterior, the queue, and the ride of Horizons here:

http://198.65.141.39/

Just click on Epcot, then Future World East, and scroll down till you find it.

FigmentJedi

Originally posted by matt88mph
Okay, I've been hearing about Project Gemini for the longest time. Well, I thought about it, and I created my own Project Gemini. Here are the basic steps:

4. Converge past and present Imagination rides: Cross Nigel Channing with Dreamfinder. And don't make the whole ride revolve around Figment.

That or make Dreamfinder the Chairman of the Institute and make channing some sort of lackey. Figment still could have a large presence, but not as much as the current version

matt88mph

Original Poster
Re: Re: My Personal Project Gemini for Epcot Future World

Originally posted by Tahu
That or make Dreamfinder the Chairman of the Institute and make channing some sort of lackey. Figment still could have a large presence, but not as much as the current version
Actually, Tahu, I had the idea of starting the attraction off with Nigel showing you the Institute, Figment making his usual mayhem, and at the Taste and Touch labs, it goes a little something like this:

NIGEL: Figment, you've ruined everything! Oh, I might as well let you get off here. (Sigh) Thank you for visiting the Imagination Institute, please take small children by the hand and...

FIGMENT: Wait! They don't have to go yet! I know how to show what the imagination really does.

NIGEL: Now how could you do that? It would take a dream to show the true potential of the imagination!

FIGMENT: Dream, huh? That's it! I know a guy that knows a lot about dreams and the imagination! And you may "find" him quite helpful! Follow me!

After that, your vehicle takes off into a room made to look like the sky, and you see Dreamfinder, much like the original one, humming One Little Spark. Dreamfinder does what he did in the original ride, and it all wraps up with Nigel, Figment, and Dreamfinder singing One Little Spark.

FigmentJedi

That's an amazing and marvelous new idea,and it would use an even larger ride building,putting all who ride it into a tour de force of imagineering. I love it:sohappy:

TwilightRocker

Oh wow, Matt88mph... I am a huuuuge Imagination fan and that idea is amazing! Maybe WDI should hire you! Haha... It would be so awesome to see that idea come to life. Maybe Imagineers should be reading these boards.

Michael72688

Some things I could change...

The 3-D Finding Nemo movie would be so awesome, I would go see even though I really dont like 3-D movies.

Make some changes to SSE, update, do something.

Close WoL and either rehab it, or replace it with an E-ticket attraction, it could be an inverted coaster. In the queue you would walk down through a simulated "underground" the a pre show could talk about geology, and stuff like that, then have a really cool, really fun coaster.

I also liked that idea of the Jr. Autopia, that was on that plan from Jim Hill, as well as the maze.

and I know, this has nothing to do with Future World, but bring back Tapestry of Dreams!

jrriddle

Well to run the risk of being the bad guy...doesn't EPCOT stand for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow not Yesterday (EPCOY?).
I like your ideas and I loved the old rides as much as anyone else. But I think I would rather see new rides in any imaginary Project Gemini, not just updates.
The World Under Ground and The Skies sound interesting. Maybe a Storm Riders Attraction and an educational Journey to the Center of the Earth? Yes they are clones but not on this side of the Ocean.
BTW has anyone noticed Disney is not cloning any of the Disney Sea rides...I wonder if that means anything?
Science is a pretty big field, I'm sure the Imagineers could bring us something really great and educational keeping the theme of EPCOT without mining the past.
Just MHO.

Michael72688

Originally posted by jrriddle
Well to run the risk of being the bad guy...doesn't EPCOT stand for Experimental Prototype Cpmmunity of Tomorrow not Yesterday (EPCOY?).
I like your ideas and I loved the old rides as much as anyone else. But I think I would rather see new rides in any imaginary Project Gemini, not just updates.
The World Under Ground and The Skies sound interesting. Maybe a Storm Riders Attraction and an educational Journey to the Center of the Earth? Yes they are clones but not on this side of the Ocean.
BTW has anyone noticed Disney is not cloning any of the Disney Sea rides...I wonder if that means anything?
Science is a pretty big field, I'm sure the Imagineers could bring us something really great and educational keeping the theme of EPCOT without mining the past.
Just MHO.

You couldn't have said it better, I actually never thought about this! Epcot is supposed to be about the future, not the old, boring past

jrriddle

Originally posted by Michael72688
Some things I could change...

The 3-D Finding Nemo movie would be so awesome, I would go see even though I really dont like 3-D movies.

Make some changes to SSE, update, do something.

Close WoL and either rehab it, or replace it with an E-ticket attraction, it could be an inverted coaster. In the queue you would walk down through a simulated "underground" the a pre show could talk about geology, and stuff like that, then have a really cool, really fun coaster.

I also liked that idea of the Jr. Autopia, that was on that plan from Jim Hill, as well as the maze.

and I know, this has nothing to do with Future World, but bring back Tapestry of Dreams!

I agree if they were to "bring back" an old ride I would say Jr. Autopia for a few reasons.
1. It would fit in with the Test Track theme.
2. It would give small kids another attraction.
3. It would give them an excuse to rip out the Speedway and expand Tomorrowland and Toontown.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Michael72688
You couldn't have said it better, I actually never thought about this! Epcot is supposed to be about the future, not the old, boring past

hey, man...the past may be boring to you, but some people, such as myself, find it quite interesting.
but you guys are right, Epcot is supposed to be about the future...
well, let me rephrase that...Epcot WAS supposed to be about the future. it stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow when it was Epcot Center...but now i suppose that's debatable. as it is now, Epcot's open to pretty much anything. look at TT...seems to me that it has nothing to do with the future, but the present, and how cars are tested NOW, not later. i'm not seeing how Soarin will be futuristic...but i've never ridden the original, and i don't know how Epcot's version will be, so i can't pass judgement quite yet. the proposed weather pavilion...though a good idea, i can't see how that would be futuristic either.
my point is, if you're going to want to make parts of Epcot go with the 'tomorrow' theme, then ALL of Epcot should go with the 'tomorrow' theme. so, imo, bringing back attractions from the past would fit right in with the current Epcot. after all, at least they did look into the future. with a little updating, it wouldn't be like the 'old, boring' attractions from the past, but new and improved attractions focusing on tomorrow. see? it all works out! :)

btw, matt88mph, i think your ideas are top notch! well, except for replacing SSE with Horizons ;) but hey, it IS your fantasy, and like you said, you can do what you want! too bad YOUR not the one in charge of PG, though! i think we could get some quality changes out of you!

BwanaBob

Originally posted by matt88mph

Anyone else have ideas to help Epcot?

I don't think there's a CFO out there that would tackle that kind of project.

...Nice thought, though!

jrriddle

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
hey, man...the past may be boring to you, but some people, such as myself, find it quite interesting.
but you guys are right, Epcot is supposed to be about the future...
well, let me rephrase that...Epcot WAS supposed to be about the future. it stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow when it was Epcot Center...but now i suppose that's debatable. as it is now, Epcot's open to pretty much anything. look at TT...seems to me that it has nothing to do with the future, but the present, and how cars are tested NOW, not later. i'm not seeing how Soarin will be futuristic...but i've never ridden the original, and i don't know how Epcot's version will be, so i can't pass judgement quite yet. the proposed weather pavilion...though a good idea, i can't see how that would be futuristic either.
my point is, if you're going to want to make parts of Epcot go with the 'tomorrow' theme, then ALL of Epcot should go with the 'tomorrow' theme. so, imo, bringing back attractions from the past would fit right in with the current Epcot. after all, at least they did look into the future. with a little updating, it wouldn't be like the 'old, boring' attractions from the past, but new and improved attractions focusing on tomorrow. see? it all works out! :)

btw, matt88mph, i think your ideas are top notch! well, except for replacing SSE with Horizons ;) but hey, it IS your fantasy, and like you said, you can do what you want! too bad YOUR not the one in charge of PG, though! i think we could get some quality changes out of you!

I think the point was is that past rides are boring, not the Future theme. If it is Future World we should look to the future for new rides, not rehashing the past.
You make a good point about the name of the park, maybe it should be changed to Discoveryland.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Well, I just wrote a huge 2,000+ word research paper on Epcot, and from research i've done, Epcot isn't much about the future, and never was planned to be. Sure, the original plans for E.P.C.O.T. that Walt Disney made in 1966 included futuristic things back then, like the PeopleMover and more, but he pretty much basically wanted to make it a safe and nice place to live. Epcot now seems to be focusing not on the future, but more history and what we're doing now. That's why it needs to be renamed Discoveryland, IMO.

jrriddle

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
Well, I just wrote a huge 2,000+ word research paper on Epcot, and from research i've done, Epcot isn't much about the future, and never was planned to be. Sure, the original plans for E.P.C.O.T. that Walt Disney made in 1966 included futuristic things back then, like the PeopleMover and more, but he pretty much basically wanted to make it a safe and nice place to live. Epcot now seems to be focusing not on the future, but more history and what we're doing now. That's why it needs to be renamed Discoveryland, IMO.

Very much agreed!
I was just speaking about attractions, not the theme of EPCOT. And I agree that the name should be Discoveryland.
Any chance that you will post that essay?
I'd like to read it.

Michael72688

Originally posted by jrriddle
I agree if they were to "bring back" an old ride I would say Jr. Autopia for a few reasons.
1. It would fit in with the Test Track theme.
2. It would give small kids another attraction.
3. It would give them an excuse to rip out the Speedway and expand Tomorrowland and Toontown.

NOO! they cant tear out the Speedway, its so much fun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom