My opinion of the biggest problem Disney parks has to face

OG Runner

Not every ride that has some screen projection in it is a "screen ride". Even Navi River Journey has a couple of screen projections, but it is not a "screen ride". Soarin' is a definite "screen ride". The whole ride is based on how immersive the screen makes the ride.

LUVofDIS

I would say ToT is a hybrid, especially since the main part and climax are physical. If I have said it once, I have said it a million times, I don't care what tech is used, an awesome ride is an awesome ride, a bad ride is a bad ride and you guessed it, a so so ride is a so so ride. The story and adventure means a trillion times more than the tech used. Just like great movies, the acting can be bland, but if there is a good story, it can hold my attention.

tomast

Original Poster
Not every ride that has some screen projection in it is a "screen ride". Even Navi River Journey has a couple of screen projections, but it is not a "screen ride". Soarin' is a definite "screen ride". The whole ride is based on how immersive the screen makes the ride.
All three mayor UPCOMING rides in DHS are screen rides

tomast

Original Poster
I find that Universal Studio's is mostly screen rides, and in May, it got really old going in, putting on the glasses, and sitting through another screen ride. Love Harry Potter, and the rides are good, but both rides at the parks are screen rides and I wish at least one was not a screen ride. We did FOP and I liked that, and do like Soaring. But I hope that Disney does not go the way of all screen rides or a majority of them, because it's the non-screen rides like Splash, Thunder Mountain, TOT, Pan and even It's a Small World, that made me fall in love with Disney.
That's true, When I was a kid, I love going to the rides and being told to put "Safety glasses" or "Bug glasses" or whatever inmersive name was given to the 3D glasses because it was a different ride out of the normal rides. Right now at universal Its annoying that almost every ride has the 3D glasses. I think maybe they should give you one at the entrance and you give it back at the end of the day instead of having one for each ride....

tomast

Original Poster
I would say ToT is a hybrid, especially since the main part and climax are physical. If I have said it once, I have said it a million times, I don't care what tech is used, an awesome ride is an awesome ride, a bad ride is a bad ride and you guessed it, a so so ride is a so so ride. The story and adventure means a trillion times more than the tech used. Just like great movies, the acting can be bland, but if there is a good story, it can hold my attention.
ToT is amazing...
It uses projections, but the as a decoration. Imagine a Screen ToT would have an effect similar to the freefall in Spider Man in IoA

geekza

All three mayor UPCOMING rides in DHS are screen rides
At least one of them is primarily physical, as far as I understand. The Battle Escape ride is thought to contain lots of AA figures and even full-sized AT-AT's. There will be screens used as well, of course, but it will primarily be a physical experience. The building for it is HUGE.

Now, the Falcon attraction is basically Star Tours with six people in the Falcon cockpit. They've been having setbacks with it, though. It was initially designed so that it was interactive to the point whereby if someone in your "crew" didn't perform the functions that they were supposed to do, the ship would "crash" and the ride would end. While that sounds great for an online game (and is already being done with Star Trek Bridge Simulator in VR), in tests, it was more frustrating than fun. Imagine you're in a group that has one person who either doesn't understand, doesn't care, or is just uncoordinated. BOOM! The End! Get back in the three-hour line and try again! Needless to say, they're having to rethink the attraction a bit.

As for Mickey and Minnie, it's more of a true hybrid of screens, figures, and sets. Yes, there are a lot of screens, but there are more physical elements than you might think. From what I gather, its a blend kind of like the Pirates ride in Shanghai, though obviously not a water ride.

Screens are here to stay, but I think that this is kind of an experimental time when Disney is learning how to strike a balance between the real and the virtual in order to deliver a more satisfying experience than using only screens. The only upcoming ride in the parks that disappoints me is Ratatouille. It is literally a ride moving from screen to screen, with some ride vehicle shaking. It will draw in guests for a while and be fine, but it won't ever be anything special.

atjimfromdisney

As many have said, I don't necessarily believe there is anything wrong with screens being incorporated in a ride. Look at Flight of Passage and Soarin' both essentially just large screened theaters. They're both E-Ticket attractions which draw large amounts of guests continually. Not just "One and Done" attractions for most.

Screens can give a certain level of "depth" to a scene without needing to use as much square footage if it were all set/figures. They can also provide details or effects that would not be possible without a "screen". Personally I can enjoy when a combination of both screen and set design are incorporated as a great blend.

As much as I love attractions such as Alice in Wonderland and other classic "Dark Ride" attractions, I don't think WDI is headed back in that direction.

Screen or no screen, a bad attraction is a bad attraction. Screen or no screen, a great attraction is a great attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom