My opinion of the biggest problem Disney parks has to face

JJJ

I think pretty much every attraction in Shanghai (especially Peter Pan, Tron, and Pirates of the Caribbean), Radiator Springs Racers, and Flight of Passage (for the vast majority of people) show that Disney can still easily wow us, it's just that there hasn't been a lot of new development recently. Luckily, that's about to change, so this fear should hopefully disappear by the end of 2021.

TwilightZone

I think pretty much every attraction in Shanghai (especially Peter Pan, Tron, and Pirates of the Caribbean), Radiator Springs Racers, and Flight of Passage (for the vast majority of people) show that Disney can still easily wow us, it's just that there hasn't been a lot of new development recently. Luckily, that's about to change, so this fear should hopefully disappear by the end of 2021.
I think it also shows that screen (based) rides can be done well.

erasure fan1

I think it also shows that screen (based) rides can be done well.
Of course they can. I don't think that has ever been the question. I love star tours, flight of passage looks fantastic. But in those rides it is a necessity otherwise you couldn't do it. My wife loves star wars, and when I told her what the rides are, she was immediately disappointed. The problem is screen based attractions make her very motion sick, same with my sister. People just want a better variety because a lot of the new major rides are very heavy screen based.

Walt Disney1955

Ask yourself why you fell in love with Disney. Did the dark rides in Fantasyland not impress you? If they did, why? They were simple, not much to them, but they were different. No other park does it quite like that, and it was all about some of your favorite movies growing up. Maybe if we got our noses out of our phones we'd be able to appreciate things a lot more but one thing is for sure in Disneyland where a lot of the locals go more than at WDW, things stay very much the same. Sure some rides get added, but look at the original rides from 1955 still there. Or even ones like Alice in Wonderland (1958). Why don't they disappear? It is because they are still very popular and hold a special place in our hearts.

Universal can't capture this because they change things around TOO much and it doesn't give you the chance to tell your grandkids that you rode this as a kid too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The biggest problem parks are facing is that they have stripped out the “recession proofing” out of them.

Travel is frivolous. It is always the first thing to get cut in a slump. Guaranteed.

That is an “issue” when you’ve tried to restructure everything to cater to a small segment of the population and you need gate clicks.

OG Runner

A Disney ride should never be too “screeny” and should always be a physical experience.

As great as FOP is, I worry about re-rideability and it being too screeny.

Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash Mountain, etc don’t get old because they are not reliant on cutting edge technology, screens, and computers. We are exposed to that so much, we are hard to impress.

So far, I do not think re-rideability has been a problem for Flight of Passage. As I comment, the current wait time for FOP is
120 minutes. The ride has been open for over a year. I don't think that is the problem. Maybe the ability to re-ride, due to the
wait times, but not the desire to re-ride.

JustAFan

I hate the screen rides, i will ride something with alot AA's in it 20 times , while the screen ride with 3 or 4 AA's once maybe twice . Can you imagine HM just a screen ride .
Please Disney, dont go the way of flat screen rides . ( mickeys runaway railroad, ratatouille, flat screen rides for the most part)
I enjoy some of the screen rides. Soarin is one of my favorites. Star Tours is great too. But I also love Spaceship Earth and Pirates. I think both have their place. I agree that they shouldn't go all screen rides though.

phillip9698

I think it depends on the ride.
Star tours, soarin over california, flight of passage, and nemo subs are good screen rides. They immerse enough to make you feel you're there. MMRR looks like it will be this way too.
Midway Mania, seas with nemo, and navi river journey are terrible screen rides. They don't immerse you enough to make you feel like you're there, no matter how good the ride is.

Yet midway mania is consistently ranked highly by the guests. Must not be that terrible of a ride.

erasure fan1

Yet midway mania is consistently ranked highly by the guests. Must not be that terrible of a ride.
Well I wouldn't call it terrible or even bad. But I will say that one reason this ride is as popular as it has been, is because of how bad the park its in is. There aren't too many true family friendly rides in the studios so this is always a must do for families. Therefore I think people tend to grade it up because its the best thing they did as a family. It's fun to do but not a ride I would put anywhere near the top attractions.

phillip9698

Well I wouldn't call it terrible or even bad. But I will say that one reason this ride is as popular as it has been, is because of how bad the park its in is. There aren't too many true family friendly rides in the studios so this is always a must do for families. Therefore I think people tend to grade it up because its the best thing they did as a family. It's fun to do but not a ride I would put anywhere near the top attractions.

I think too often we get caught up in the spectacle of a ride or how intriguing the technology of said ride is and often forget these rides/attractions are supposed to be fun first and foremost. If I don't leave a ride with a smile on my face then nothing else matters. Midway Mania checks that box for so many people, that's why it's rated highly.

TwilightZone

It's not a bad ride, just it's not to disney standard in terms of immersion. I did not feel immersed in the ride at all. I felt I was shooting at a screen, not that I was with buzz and woody at a toy carnival.
But it is really fun.

Touchdown

I do not get the hate for TSMM. As everyone has said it’s really fun, and suprise that’s why I go to themed AMUSEment parks.

JustAFan

I think too often we get caught up in the spectacle of a ride or how intriguing the technology of said ride is and often forget these rides/attractions are supposed to be fun first and foremost. If I don't leave a ride with a smile on my face then nothing else matters. Midway Mania checks that box for so many people, that's why it's rated highly.
Yep! I enjoy Midway Mania. Now if all WDW was that type only, then yeah it would get old really quick. But I like the mix of technologies and ride types.

Bairstow

My take- Midway Mania is sort of a crummy ride, but a pretty good arcade game. Because many of its riders (your mom, say) aren't regular video game players, the experience of suddenly playing a simple but decent video game comes across as extremely fun and fresh, and that's why it's remained so popular.

spock8113

I think the technology was well used for the Harry Potter ride.
Screens are cheap and easy to show what ever you want which makes ride changeability that much cheaper and easier to, well, change.
Two words: Kennywood Park. It is a modern rides park but also has a collection of some of the oldest operating rides in the country.
Why? The demand for old rides will always be there and yet, yes, they have to move forward to keep up with the ever-thirsty crowds for new thrills and technology.
How's that for a waffling-spineless-jello-definite maybe politicians' answer?

PS-you might want to rephrase "Siri in your pocket"

LUVofDIS

So far, I do not think re-rideability has been a problem for Flight of Passage.

I agree, so that is that. Seriously though, that is an amazing ride, I have been on it around a dozen times and I know I could ride it many more times. It stills needs many more years to be considered a classic, but it may make it there.

As I have said many times, the tech of a ride doesn't matter, it just matters that it gets it right. You have rides with AA's that are awesome and some that fail, same goes for any tech.

The thing I feel TSM gets right and is immersive is the fact that it brings the rider into the attraction. You are challenging the person next to you while riding. You are part of the attraction. Most rides, you sit back and it entertains, TSM brings you in. I love the ride and the tech. Now look at Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, it uses AA's and has the same idea as TSM yet I don't find it as immersive or fun. I still like it, but I think TSM is on a much higher level. Besides, my wife is terrible at Buzz and is pretty good at TSM, so that has a lot to do with it for me.

drp4video

I find that Universal Studio's is mostly screen rides, and in May, it got really old going in, putting on the glasses, and sitting through another screen ride. Love Harry Potter, and the rides are good, but both rides at the parks are screen rides and I wish at least one was not a screen ride. We did FOP and I liked that, and do like Soaring. But I hope that Disney does not go the way of all screen rides or a majority of them, because it's the non-screen rides like Splash, Thunder Mountain, TOT, Pan and even It's a Small World, that made me fall in love with Disney.

JustAFan

I find that Universal Studio's is mostly screen rides, and in May, it got really old going in, putting on the glasses, and sitting through another screen ride. Love Harry Potter, and the rides are good, but both rides at the parks are screen rides and I wish at least one was not a screen ride. We did FOP and I liked that, and do like Soaring. But I hope that Disney does not go the way of all screen rides or a majority of them, because it's the non-screen rides like Splash, Thunder Mountain, TOT, Pan and even It's a Small World, that made me fall in love with Disney.
It's interesting you mention Tower of Terror. I consider that a screen ride. Isn't it?

OG Runner

It's interesting you mention Tower of Terror. I consider that a screen ride. Isn't it?

I will try and beat everyone else to this response. NO! There are some screen effects used, but the majority of ride is in a
moving ride vehicle the ends with a number of drops, that are a physical drop using a cable system. When you are going
up and down and the doors are opening in front of you, you are definitely not looking at a screen.

Goofyernmost

I will try and beat everyone else to this response. NO! There are some screen effects used, but the majority of ride is in a
moving ride vehicle the ends with a number of drops, that are a physical drop using a cable system. When you are going
up and down and the doors are opening in front of you, you are definitely not looking at a screen.
Sure, but, wouldn't any stagnant scene leading up to screen projections just be part of a screen ride in a sense. The doors opening are the only real moving parts other then the elevator itself. In many ways the ride vehicle in ToT is a huge part of the attraction. That and Screens. The only moving things you see are the doors and the vehicles all other visuals other then sets are screens or just outdoors. The only true screen only attractions would be a theater type production. Oh, Canada, China, Philharmagic and France come quickly to mind. There are others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom