My Nikon D90 kit is on it's way!!

LilSuzy

Original Poster
:sohappy: Yippee, I just ordered this, and I'm so excited! Now I'm deciding between a sigma 30mm or a nikon 35mm prime lens. I really want the 30mm because of its crisp night shots, but it looks like the 35mm is more in my price range.

Have any of you had expierence with both? How do they compare to you?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Congrats!

On the lens issue. Having owned a variety of third-party and original manufacturers lenses, I would always stick to the original manufacturer. The third party lenses often have compatibility issues, primarily focus problems. Not saying they are all like this, and you will find a lot of great reviews of them, but you will also find a lot of problem reviews. If money allows, go for the Nikon would be my advice.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
Thanks! I have heard nothing but good things about the 30mm sigma though. Have you tried any of these 2 lenses? I'm just curious how the 35mm compares to the 30mm in low light, I've seen the sigma it's night shots are stunning!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks! I have heard nothing but good things about the 30mm sigma though. Have you tried any of these 2 lenses? I'm just curious how the 35mm compares to the 30mm in low light, I've seen the sigma it's night shots are stunning!

Yep I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4. It's OK, but I wouldn't buy it again due to focus issues, and not a very friendly focal length. Great night shots aren't really about having f1.4. I get much better results from a 17-55 f2.8.

Have a look at http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/30mm-f14.htm

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=sigma+30mm+focus+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

LilSuzy

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the info. I will start to look for the nikon 35mm lens, after all it's in my price range :)

LilSuzy

Original Poster
Congrats! My D5100 just arrived in the mail a few days ago. The 35mm is going to be my first additional lens purchase as well.

The D5100 was the other one I was looking to purchase, nice camera indeed :) I guess the d90's functions are more like the nikon(s) I work with everyday at work (work models: D300s and D2x upgrading to D3x soon) I should be able to navigate this one (d90) pretty easily.

I just ordered the nikon 35mm lens....can't wait to get BOTH :sohappy:

NowInc

The 35mm is the one I recommend to EVERYONE..because it really is an awesome piece of glass for the price. I am sure you will enjoy it :)

CP_alum08

The 35mm is the one I recommend to EVERYONE..because it really is an awesome piece of glass for the price. I am sure you will enjoy it :)

Same here. I love my 35mm but I haven't shot with the 30mm to compare. However, if night shots are your biggest concern between the two, the one f-stop difference really isn't going to be that big of a deal. I've been able to shoot dark rides and hand-held night shots just fine with my 35mm. You just need a steady hand and a good noise reducing software :sohappy:

CP_alum08

"noise" comes from using a high ISO, it's that pixelation looking stuff. The D90 is actually REALLY good and controlling it, but if you get up to into the 2000 or 3000 range it starts to become noticeable. There are programs that can reduce that noise, the one I use is by Topaz and is called DeNoise. They offer a 30 day free trial!

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/

Vtlsgns2

I own the Nikon 35mm and have to say I am a little disappointed with it. I also own the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8 and find that to be MUCH better. I find it to be sharper and better at creating awesome Bokeh. If I was buying one today it would def be the Nikon 50mm. That said I own several Sigma lenses... They do have some limitations over Nikon, But I am satisfied with them.

I stand by saying that Nikon arguably has the best glass... After all, that's one of the best reasons to shoot Nikon!
If you have not already purchased the lens, check out the 50mm, I find the field of view to be better than the 35 too.

LilSuzy

Original Poster
50mm? Hmmm I must check it out and play with it for a bit. I photgraphed with the 35mm, I LOVED it in the evenings but during the day I don't whether to keep the flash on or off. I like it off but sometimes I get blurry images...:brick:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
50mm? Hmmm I must check it out and play with it for a bit. I photgraphed with the 35mm, I LOVED it in the evenings but during the day I don't whether to keep the flash on or off. I like it off but sometimes I get blurry images...:brick:

You shouldn't be getting blurry daytime images with a 35mm. What shutter speed are you using?

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I havn't changed it so it's on default from when I recieved the camera....should I change this? If so to what shutter speed?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have a D90, the only problem I have had is that during use I had somehow managed to switch to a Raw format. The dangers of advancing years and no reading glasses to hand.

The lenses I have are from my non digital days and are no longer made. I am a fan of Sigma lenses, as when I worked for the RAF we tested various lenses and Sigma always compared favourably to Nikon/Nikor Tamrom lenses were also OK but had to be judged more on a lens by lens basis.

What setting is it on? Have you set the selector to auto?

I purchased the D90 book for Dummies, but the vast majority of it is dedicated to software techniques. In my opinion you should concentrate on taking a decent image then you dont need software tomfoolery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom