My Midsummer Madness Rant

TP2000

Original Poster
Folks, I’m sorry but I need to rant.

Today I went to Disneyland to take a walk in the July heat and remember that a hot summer’s day in SoCal is nowhere near half as bad as a hot summer’s day in Rhode Island or North Carolina or Texas or in many of the places I had to live earlier in my career. And it was hot, but dry and lovely.

But my God, do the younger CM’s stink at their jobs. A few observations from Tuesday, July 24th...

• The parking tram CM’s were not just lazy and slow, but downright ornery with a lady trying to fit a doublewide stroller with two toddlers onto the tram. How about you stop and realize it’s 2018 and that’s how big most strollers are now, and you try and give her a hand instead of berate her and say “Next time you have to walk or park at Toy Story!”. Then she gets on her phone and calls her husband who is already in the park with the older children and says she was yelled at and she has no idea how to get onto the Toy Story level because they forced her to park on the Daisy level, and did he park the other rental car on the Toy Story level? She was obviously from out of town, had no idea what “Park at Toy Story!” meant, and probably will think twice before returning to Disneyland.

• The turnstile CM was staring at her phone in a sparkly pink case doing that amazing fast thumb texting the kids can do as I approached. I had to clear my throat to get her attention long enough to scan my AP. She did that silently, never said a word to me, and dug back into her pocket for her phone as I passed thru the turnstile. I have a feeling the text wasn’t that important and she just doesn’t give a darn.

• I did Mobile Order again, this time at Award Weiners. And yet again, I approached the Mobile Order window and got a couple of silent stares from the CM’s on the other side of the counter. I smiled and waved my phone as a jaunty hello, but I got nothing back but averted eyes. When my dog was ready the plate was shoved towards the window while the CM silently and blankly pointed at my phone to check my order number. Once she saw the number she slid the plate the last 12 inches within my reach, then turned and went back to talking to her friend CM. Not a smile, not a SINGLE word, and certainly nothing so advanced as “thanks”.

• The rest of the CM’s I interacted with in both parks today had blank expressions, no hint of personality or interest in their jobs, and nothing that could even begin to approach the concept of showmanship. Yet they were often very busy talking animatedly to their fellow CM’s, so apparently they do have the human ability to emote and communicate.

• The only CM who showed any shred of personality or hospitality was the older Latina CM who sold me the chocolate covered pineapple in DCA’s candy shop on my way over to Disneyland. She seemed very sweet, smiled broadly at me, and said “thank you sir” as she concluded the brief transaction. I winked at her and thanked her back.

On the way home to Villa Park I stopped at In N’ Out on Tustin Ave. for dinner, about 7 miles east of Disneyland. The place was packed with a long line. All the young employees there were very busy, literally running around and yet focused intently on their jobs. And they were perfectly groomed and very clean cut, and I was met repeatedly by smiles and advanced phrases like “please” and “thank you” and “can I get you anything else?”. The dining room and patio were totally full, and yet spotless.

What the heck is wrong with Disneyland CM’s these days?!? And does the management there even care?!?

John park hopper

Have you been to a McDonalds lately talk about counter staff who think they are doing you a favor (if they even wait on you) taking your order. Then you are lucky if it's what you ordered. It's not just Disney

Phroobar

While on the upside down at Magic Mountain, employees are becoming more friendly and starting to show some form of life as they take your order and deliver your meal.

Stevek

Chick Fil A always seems to have good employees at least in my neck of the woods.
Yep, our local CFA employees are are great. Clean cut, courteous. Same with In N Out. As for Disneyland CM's, we've had very few poor interactions over the past 20 or so years. That being said, there is zero excuse for a CM being on her phone while onstage but it's not surprising given that everyone of that age seems to be on their phones constantly...including my 17 & 18 year old daughters.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
That’s what happens when you get paid pennies to deal with special kinds of guests. I was bitter at times when I was a CM.

In-N-Out employees are paid very well and I’m told they’re actually cared for.

Great point, and In-N-Out is always busy and fast paced. The employees are always awesome, courteous and helpful. Disney has something going for them in that the CM's want to work at the happiest place on earth, and with a lot of CM's you can see their heart and passion.

But management wants to give them pennies and it really blows my mind.

Phroobar

This phone thing is like that episode of Star Trek:TNG where everyone was obsessed with this holographic game that controls minds. It was up to Wesley Crusher to get everyone to stop playing the game. Not sure how Wesley got Ashley Judd to be his girlfriend though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

laduekb5wdqcvt0abrnz.bmp

TROR

If you like Chick-Fil-A and In-N-Out so much why don't you buy some stock. Oh yea - you can't!

These are both privately held companies which is exactly why they have such great employees. Once a corporation has stockholders who only care about the bottom line, a company is forced to stop caring about its employees.
Do you know who else has great employees? LEGO stores. Their products are also pretty high quality. Guess what? They're also a private company.

I think the stock market is a great thing, but I much prefer companies who aren't publicly traded. Just better products.

Stevek

TP2000

Original Poster
I've had mostly very good experiences with CM's at DL.

Sure, compared to McDonald’s or WalMart the Disneyland CM’s are still mostly good. Not great, but at least mostly good.

But yesterday I got nothing but young ones and they were universally really bad. Or just listless and mute with blank stares.

The compare/contrast to the kids at the busy In N’ Out was stark and shocking, which pushed me over the edge to post my experience here.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure, compared to McDonald’s or WalMart the Disneyland CM’s are still mostly good. Not great, but at least mostly good.

But yesterday I got nothing but young ones and they were universally really bad. Or just listless and mute with blank stares.

The compare/contrast to the kids at the busy In N’ Out was stark and shocking, which pushed me over the edge to post my experience here.

Hmm, here's an idea. How about Disneyland CM being only staffed by retirees looking for their secondary careers.....

I'm sure service will be so much quicker and better.... ;):p:cool:

shortstop

Hmm, here's an idea. How about Disneyland CM being only staffed by retirees looking for their secondary careers.....

I'm sure service will be so much quicker and better.... ;):p:cool:
I know this is tongue in cheek, but honestly, I don’t care so much if the service is fast, it should above all be courteous and friendly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom