My leaving for DL, Vegas baby in 6 days, pre-trip rpt.

Disneybird

Original Poster
Just to give a little background info on this trip, my husband has wanted for a long time to play in a World Series of Poker event. So for a year now he has told me to plan on a trip to Vegas this year. When Christmas rolled around last year, instead of the new shoes, books, shirt presents he usually gets, the kids and I gave him money toward his entry fee to play. I myself am not really into gambling. Give me $30 to play with and I'm fine. Believe me, I know my limits.

I have a brother and sister-in-law that I am very close to and we have taken many vacations together, so we invited them along. Now like me, they don't care to gamble either. So what were we suppose to do in Vegas for 4 days? :shrug: Oh, and did I mention they are DVC owners at AKL and BLT? Having never been to DL, my brother mentioned that he would like to spend a few days there if we could. Well, my mind is always thinking! I know that my husband would be wondering for 4 days if I was bored, what was I doing, have I had supper yet, etc.. So I decided to set his mind at ease and go our separate ways for the first 4 days of Vegas. And since I'll be at DL, he won't have to worry at all.

He leaves Thursday morning to fly into Vegas and my brother, his wife and I will leave Thursday evening and drive to Atlanta where we will take an early morning flight on Friday to LA, where we will be met at the airport by a stretch limo to take us to Paradise Pier.

Now I have to tell a little about my childhood to let you know that I came from a large, very poor family. The first time we went to WDW as a family was in the 70's. We left on a Thursday pm, arrived on Friday, spent Friday night at the Contemporary, and came home Saturday. Over 500 miles each way. To this day, I still don't know how we paid for that room, but the price was under $75. In those days we didn't have luggage, so we arrived with paper bags in hand containing our worldly possessions. :) I wonder what they thought of us checking into the Contemporary.

So when I mentioned a shuttle to the hotel, my brother (who now owns a business) offered to pay for the limo if I could find one reasonably priced. He has a great sense of humor and laughed about the fact we wouldn't be carrying paper bags with us. I asked about stopping at a local store to pick up water and found out there would be an extra charge but the limo would be fully stocked with water, snacks and drinks. I wonder how many bottles of water the driver will let us have.

Will add more tomorrow. :wave:

Disneybird

Original Poster
Continuing on...

I went to Disneyland for New Years of 2009 with my daughters and had a great time, but froze. So I'm a little familiar with it, but my brother's not sure what to expect. He asked me for the name of the website I get on all the time (this one of course), and told me he had looked at mouseplanet. I think if you've only been to WDW, it's hard to imagine that you can walk out of the gate at DL and walk to IHOP in a matter of a few minutes. We made no dining reservations because very few of the sit down meals appeal to us since we won't have children along. I ate at Blue Bayou in 2009 and although the setting is lovely, the price is not worth it in my opinion. I think I will get the monte cristo at Cafe Orleans this time, and save some dough.

My husband cares nothing about going to Disney parks and only goes when he is dragged kicking and screaming or when Rachel (popsicletrees on here) goes. This is another reason we decided to see DL while he was in Vegas. The plan is for him to rent a car and drive out to meet us sometime on Monday. Unless he gets in the money round and then I will rent a car and drive to Vegas so I can be present when they give him his money. :D

Tuesday morning we will head for Sedona, Az.. I've never been there and hear it's beautiful. We plan to visit Montezuma Castle if we arrive in time that day. Our plans are to stay in Prescott Valley Tue. and Wed. nights driving through Jerome, Az. on the way to Sedona on Wed. and then Thursday we are driving to the Grand Canyon, probably going up U.S. Route 89 past parts of the painted desert, and then back down Hwy. 64 to Williams were we will spend Thursday night. Friday we are headed to Vegas, where I'm sure hubby will find another poker game while the rest of us sightsee. We got reservations that night in a 2 bedroom Hilton Grand Vacation on the strip. The price was great and I refused to pay the very high rates the other strip hotels were charging for that weekend. Saturday afternoon we all fly back to Atlanta together.

Whew, it's going to be a busy 10 days. I'm getting tired just typing up a pre-trip report. Now if I can just force myself on that plane. Did I mention I get nervous flying? :wave:

Nemo14

Reva, I'm so excited for you - wish I could go too! Just keep yourself updated about the Arizona fires - that's still looking pretty dangerous.

Disneybird

Original Poster
Yeah those fires and everything in their path are definitely on my mind. If we have to adjust our plans we can. There's alot of country out there to see.

popsicletrees

Well, mom, have fun! I wish I was going with y'all. Does this mean I'm going have to upload all of your photos so you can do a trip report when you return?

CLandrum

I can't wait to hear more. I am pretty sure we will be staying at Paradise Pier when we go next June so I would love to see pics. Have fun!

TP2000

Don't think we haven't forgotten about this, Disneybird! :D

I'll just make another batch of those Toll House chocolate chip cookies while I patiently wait for that TR of yours....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom