My Geekiness is Getting in the way of my Nerdiness

IndyDisney

So just for prosperity sake I've been putting together a rough schedule for our trip. Nothing too in depth, just an hour-by-hour look at where we'll be and what we should do. First off, we're on the DxDP, and on paper it looks like all we're doing is running from one meal to the next. I'm sure it won't feel that way, but it looks like it. At any rate, I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing such an in depth schedule, though she's nice enough to go along with it.

Anyone in the same boat? Any other crazy Dis-nerd stories?

Cheers,
Dave

pixiesteno

our first trip to say on-property in 2004 we had the delux dining and I had us scheduled for a TS meal for each meal (we were going to get our money's worth) - yeah, it felt like all we did was go from meal to meal and we ate so much that we felt over-full a great deal of the time.
On subsequent trips we have found the beauty in a lite counter service meal! We don't do dining plans anymore, we have just decided to pay out-of-pocket and it works well for us. We are going to be there for 7 days and only have one TS meal booked. Okay, yes, we are taking the RV so that does make things easier but we will also do some counter service meals and run around willy-nilly without a plan or reservations :eek:. We have decided that "there will be future trips" and we are going to approach this in a more relaxed manner. Dare I say that last fall there was a whole day that I didn't go to a park just to hang out at the resort, do laundry, and read a book. Sorry, just some of my ramblings.

Upvote 0

Jdlay

Found out the hard way... No Disney schedule for me

So just for prosperity sake I've been putting together a rough schedule for our trip. Nothing too in depth, just an hour-by-hour look at where we'll be and what we should do. First off, we're on the DxDP, and on paper it looks like all we're doing is running from one meal to the next. I'm sure it won't feel that way, but it looks like it. At any rate, I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing such an in depth schedule, though she's nice enough to go along with it.

Anyone in the same boat? Any other crazy Dis-nerd stories?

Cheers,
Dave

I tried this once.... Never again. As a professional nerd/geek I spend my professional life nerd herding and discovered that a WDW trip is not the place for a project plan. Disney trips are my time to relax. As a previous post stated the dining plans and reservations tend to make a trip revolve around meals... We are trying the quick service plan and are making only one sit down reservation and I made it on our first night to get it out of the was with hopes of relaxing the rest of the trip.

But to each their own.... Enjoy your trip. A day at WDW is always better than anything else.

John.

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

Yes, I do the same thing when planning our Disney trip. But everyone in our party always ends up thanking me for our fabulous and smooth trips! DDDP definitely has you running from one meal to the next. It's kind of a little bit too much. You eat like kings but way more than you normally would. One suggestion to spread things out a little and give your bellies a break is to throw a couple 2 credit meals in there and cut out a lunch. You can use snack points mid day. We have checked out almost all of the signature meals because of this dining plan. You can also order room service for 2 credits which is a nice break from being on the go. Happy planning!

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

Original Poster
That's kind of the issue. I've never had all these ADRs before. We chose the DxDP because we wanted to do as much character dining as we can for DD4. I've never nerded out this much about a WDW trip. And it's not like I"m putting together a hard and fast plan that must be followed. Well, except for the dining.

Cheers,
Indy

Upvote 0

bmarkelon

That's kind of the issue. I've never had all these ADRs before. We chose the DxDP because we wanted to do as much character dining as we can for DD4. I've never nerded out this much about a WDW trip. And it's not like I"m putting together a hard and fast plan that must be followed. Well, except for the dining.

Cheers,
Indy
I hear ya, but you can definitely feel like the dining is running the trip on that deluxe plan. 2 credit meals definitely help to break it up a little. The dinner shows and Cinderella's Royal Table are also great options. The first time we used Deluxe we actually ended up skipping some reservations because we were either exhausted from getting to them all or just couldn't think of eating another meal. I love deluxe dining, don't get me wrong, just sharing what makes it work for us.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

We have never had the dining plan mainly for the reasons you all have given above. We normally make our plans on the fly, from parks to meals. We just didn't want to have to be stuck with a schedule. Everyone who's been to Disney knows how transportation can be, do you have to get out of a ride line to head to a restaurant, etc.
That being said, this is the first year we've had TS ADR'S for almost every dinner of the trip. Still not on a plan, just wanted to eat at some good places. We'll see, this may be the last trip with so many ADR'S.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
I book one ts meal a day for the most part, I think I have a breakfast and a dinner one day on our upcoming trip but since AK closes at 5pm that makes it pretty easy to get to a dinner at epcot in the evening. and I have a le cellier dinner which takes two credits so that leaves me with two open days with no meals scheduled which enables us to just use some qs meals.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I am a complete planning nut and spreadsheet freak. I get great pleasure out of making my hours by hour spreadsheet for each day. I also find that I see everything I want on each trip.

I am on the Deluxe DP this year and I am not eating 3 meals a day ever. I am eating one TS and one Signature each day. That way there is plenty of time for me to obsess about other things. :)

Upvote 0

Jedi Wizard

I do lots of research so that I don't have to have a minute by minute plan. I do plan which parks to be in each day, mostly for dining ADRs and avoid or hitting things like Fantasmic days at DHS if appropriate. And I do want to know what I am going to do the first couple of attractions. However, for most of the day, I do research so that I have the info in my head to adjust and go with the fun.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

I personally never understood the Deluxe Dining Plan. We have occasionally in the past done 2 TS meals in one day and we were just way too overfull. I cannot imagine doing three. Then there is the amount of time you are in the restaurants per day. I typically figure 1 1/2 hours per TS meal not include any wait time to be seated. So that puts total daily meal times reaching the 5 hours per day.

Upvote 0

njDizFan

^^^ Agreed, If I do a TS Breakfast, I am always completely stuffed until dinner time. Maybe a small snack at mid-day.

Especially if it's a buffet, that's just so much food.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom