Trip Report My First Trip Report! *COMPLETED*

My First Trip Report!
Hi y'all! I'm tcool, and it's great to be here! For years I used these forums, and one day happened to come across this very forum I'm in right now! I thought it was an interesting idea, and have always wanted to create a report. However due to either never having the time, or the lack of pictures I could never commit to creating a report. However inspired by @Tuvalu 's many reports I decided to jump right in as it seems like community is just as nice and fun as that over at the Imagineering forum. So without adu? ado? adue? here's some background info on the trip!

When: February 16th to February 19th, 2018 AKA President's Day Weekend
Where: The Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
Who: My brother, father, and I
Why: The Festival of the Arts, and to satiate the thirst for Disney

With those simple questions behind us, let's get to the real meat of a trip report: the trip! :D

Day 1: Pathelic Cilantro

You may be looking at the title of the day, and be wondering what is Pathelic? Well don't worry it'll be explained in due time! Around 2:40 PM my father and brother picked me up from school, and we left Miami to drive north towards the most magical place on earth: Walt Disney World! On the drive up my brother and I sang the entire Coco soundtrack as I'm just un poco loco for Coco, and if any song starts playing I quickly shift into karaoke mode including overdramatic flairs along with unnecessary pitch changes. No one said I was a trained singer ;)

After of two hours we made it to the namesake of the day, the Port St. Lucie/Fort Pierce plaza. The plaza started off with a bang for you see it was newly renovated, and was nice and modern. Located in the plaza was a chain known as Chicken Kitchen which in my book is a knock off Pollo Tropical. Now Pollo Tropical is one of my favourite fast food places, and they have a Tropichop which for me is a bowl of brown rice, black beans, and chicken. Chicken Kitchen offered something similar with their Chop Chop, and to change it up I decided to ask for brown rice, chicken, and Garlic Cilantro! However to my dismay it tasted like nothing losing all flavour of the garlic and cilantro. I felt robbed of something that on paper sounded delicious, but ended up being an Americanized mess of flavours. However the rice and chicken were okay, and maybe next time I'll see if they have any lime instead to add some flavour. The sauce in my book was disappointing enough to be the main title of the day as it was a Pathe-lic Cilantro sauce. ;)

For the remainder of the trip up my family played a road trip game we call the Animal Game. The Animal Game is a game in which you say a letter of the animal you're thinking of, and everyone else has to guess what it is; based on a limited amount of hints that they request. On the way up my brother tossed in an animal that starts with L, any guesses? Llama? No. Lemur? No. Lion? No. Liger? No. Leopard? No. Need some hints?
  1. Have we (my family) seen one? No.
  2. Is it alive? I think so. :cyclops:
  3. Is it real? I don't know, but I've heard people talking about them.
  4. Who talked about them? People...
Loch Ness Monster? No. And then we found out. If it wasn't obvious from those "helpful" hints it was a locust, and fun fact they're real! :hilarious:

MK%20Laura%20Scott%2010-07-2006%20002%20(Small).jpg

My pictures were much too blurry, so here's one I found right now. Don't worry the trip was only photo lite for now.

We reached the entrance sign at 7:00 PM, and from there we were only a short drive and ferry ride to the Magic Kingdom. We were on our way to the Magic Kingdom aboard the ferry, and arrived at 7:55 PM by this time Happily Ever After had already started. However that didn't stop us! We stopped in the Town Square as we watched the fireworks above. After the show we entered the Main Street bypass, and the backside of Tomorrowland as we entered into Tomorrowland. The time was 8:30 PM, and our fastpass for Peter Pan ended at 8:25 PM. We knew about the grace period present at the park, but we were worried would we make it? Would we queue Peter Pan's Flight? Would I have time to eat a Cheshire Cat Tail? I guess y'all just have to wait and see ;) Also don't worry the pictures will start flooding in after this post :p

Last edited:

tcool123

Original Poster
I know, I spent most of my life in SoFla. When I visit now, I spend most of my time eating.lol. Can you mail a good Cuban sandwich to me, please? ;)
I'll get right on it :D
Toasted or untoasted? We need to make sure you are getting the quality product after all ;)

So awesome that your dad and new friend were pixie dusted with Mickey Bars! What a great 1st night!
It was such an awesome start, and definitely something to set out the trip for him.

I didn’t even know that! Good to learn!
Same here, but good to know that if I'm ever in the north of the south I can still find some Pollo :inlove:

I love shrimp, but sorry, that foam and ceviche combo looks a little gross. :cautious:
That was the general consensus from my brother, but in theory it sounded appetizing. Maybe it taste better than it looks? ;)

What is the white drink that you had? Is that called a “Fortune Cookie”? What’s in it? Looks great!
The white drink was the Fortune Cookie it had ByeJoe Red, Amaretto, Coconut and Pineapple. Plus the fortune cookie, but unfortunately the fortune was lost. The drink itself was pretty alcoholic, and definitely lit your mouth up.

Morocco is my absolute favorite pavilion, Tangerine Cafe is my absolute favorite QS in Disney. :)
Was going to try it last trip as I was looking for some samosas, but unfortunately it seems like there are none on Walt Disney World property. However besides that let down it is definitely on my must try list along with Sunshine Seasons, and San Angel Inn. Maybe next trip I'll take a visit there instead of my safe Lotus Blossom Cafe.

21stamps

Agreed. To me, that looks like dog puke.
Omg. Yes. Yuck.

I'll get right on it :D
Toasted or untoasted? We need to make sure you are getting the quality product after all ;)

It was such an awesome start, and definitely something to set out the trip for him.

Same here, but good to know that if I'm ever in the north of the south I can still find some Pollo :inlove:

That was the general consensus from my brother, but in theory it sounded appetizing. Maybe it taste better than it looks? ;)

The white drink was the Fortune Cookie it had ByeJoe Red, Amaretto, Coconut and Pineapple. Plus the fortune cookie, but unfortunately the fortune was lost. The drink itself was pretty alcoholic, and definitely lit your mouth up.

Was going to try it last trip as I was looking for some samosas, but unfortunately it seems like there are none on Walt Disney World property. However besides that let down it is definitely on my must try list along with Sunshine Seasons, and San Angel Inn. Maybe next trip I'll take a visit there instead of my safe Lotus Blossom Cafe.

The rest of the food looks delicious, especially the deconstructed BLT. I love seeing the food pics!

I only eat my Cuban Sandwiches toasted thanks. :) It’s impossible to find decent Cuban bread here.. imposter sandwiches only.

And.. LOL at the meringue!!!! I wonder if she was new to Orlando.. I’d think that she’d hear at least some Spanglish there.

tcool123

Original Poster
I only eat my Cuban Sandwiches toasted thanks. :) It’s impossible to find decent Cuban bread here.. imposter sandwiches only.
Glad to hear your not some kind of monster then :p
If it ain't Cuban Bread then there's only one place for it to go. Back to store shelves, and let them think for a while.

And.. LOL at the meringue!!!! I wonder if she was new to Orlando.. I’d think that she’d hear at least some Spanglish there.
LOL , maybe she was new. And she knew some Spanglish as Im sure she could understand the glish parr of Spanglish 😉

Oh and I forgot to include in my last post- the drink sounds delish. Too bad that it had an overwhelming amount of alcohol :(.
It may have been my tastebuds as I don't really drink so on the rare occasion I have a sip it's pretty strong for me. You should still give it a try if it's there the next time your down.

tcool123

Original Poster
Her name was Lola
She was a show girl
With yellow feathers in her hair
And her dress cut down to there
She would merengue
And do the cha-cha........

Thanks to your last post (and Barry Manilow) that song verse is now playing in my head!!
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
Why not have the whole song playing in your head ;)

Toasted please... i need one too... YUM! I'm making cuban sliders for dinner, they aren't even close, but at least it's something!
I'll make sure to send some toasted cuban bread up North ;)
And hey something is better than nothing! :D

tcool123

Original Poster
Night 2 : Lights! Camera! Lost?
We made it into the car, and off came the magicbands. As for were we going? Why the Hollywood that never was—and always will be. ;)

For the record Studios is actually my favorite park because the park for me is always a relaxing, soothing experience for a Disney Park. Additionally thanks to the absurd wait times of the night for any of the rides in the park my brother finally stop rushing for no reason! :D

As we walked from the handicapped area towards the entrance gate my dad was making sure we had everything, and to which I replied look at the trees they are so pretty. Now is there photographic proof? Eh.....you're just going to have take my word for it :p However as we approached the magic band scanning points I realized I had left my magic band in the car :banghead:

I left my dad with my brother as they waited for me touring some of the stores. As for me I was power walking back to the car, and luckily since it was in the handicap parking area it wasn't a too far walk. I opened the car door, set the keys down, and put on my magic band. As I was closing my door I noticed one of the Belle prints had fallen out so I picked it up, and closed the door. Upon reaching the scanners the Mickey turned green, and I was in! I met up with my father and brother, and was asked for the keys. Back out I go! :facepalm:

I made sure to have everything as I was leaving the car. Keys in hand, band on wrist, shoes on feet, lanyard on neck, glasses on face, clothes on body, head on body, and hair on head everything seemed to be in check. As I was approaching the entrance for the third time from the guests without bags I was pulled over. A cast member had told me my fly was open, and when I went to go fix it my zipper actually broke off. The cast member smirked a bit, and told me to not worry about it. Finally with my zipper now permanently open we were inside the park!

We walked towards Star Tours to check out the wait, but unfortunately it was fifty minutes. So instead we headed towards Walt Disney Presents to visit the A Wrinkle in Time preview. We had made it five minutes before showtime, and I decided to check out the costumes and props that were out on display. I thought they were going to be from A Wrinkle in Time one of the things I wished to check out, but to my surprise they were from Saving Mr. Banks.

DSCF6284.JPG
DSCF6288.JPG

However we were soon on our way into the theater!

DSCF6290.JPG

Strangely enough right when I took this photo they made an announcement to withhold from any photography or video. It was the last my camera out during the show. Prior to the preview I was on the fence of watching this film, but now with the preview I do have some interest in it. If anything it'll just be for the visuals presented similar to why I watched Valerian last summer. We popped out right next to the Launch Bay, and proceeded towards the Launch Bay theater. I struggle to remember what was brushed upon, but it was more enjoyable than the Wrinkle in Time preview, and it was a behind the scenes show.

100_6004.JPG

Now this is a podracer! Just as quickly as we arrived at the Launch Bay is just as quickly as we exited the Launch Bay. However not before we caught a showing of Voyage of the Little Mermaid it was my first time seeing that show in years. While the show itself is just okay the special effects present throughout the show are highly enjoyable, and are worth a watch.

We crossed the park towards Grand Avenue to visit the Muppets. As usual the show was a hit for my father and I, but a dud for my brother. My dad laughed at the hecklers, while my brother napped. He did this in nearly every show we had watched that night with the exception of a Wrinkle in Time in which he texted the whole time.

DSCF6298.JPG
DSCF6299.JPG

DWWOEEsWsAAD64p.jpg

As we left Grand Avenue we began towards Star Tours as we had remembered that the accessibility entrance is through the fastpass entrance, and we were soon in boarding our own Star Tours vehicle that we shared with plenty of other travellers. Unfortunately it seems that the ride is still set to only cover elements from the new trilogy. I was hoping for something different than Crait and Jaaku, but alas that was not to be. I was a this point my father and brother felt a bit peckish, and we all decided to get Mickey pretzels and bottles of water. Once again forgot to take a picture of a pretzel, but here's a picture from online!

da4bb599a08527fa6683f46d7a35b2c8--disney-snacks-disney-food.jpg

With our pretzels and bottles in tow we made our way to check out the wait for Midway Mania, but just kept walking towards Cruz Ramirez. We had fifty minutes till Movie Magic, and were not going to risk it to ride the Midway. However we did meet Cruz Ramirez, and apparently she won he piston cup! I honestly had no clue as I have yet to see the movie. I'm waiting for Summer break to catch up on all the movies I missed also on the docket the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Godfather Pt 1 & 2.

DSCF6302.JPG

After revving away from Cruz we made it to our spot for the show. Originally we weren't planning on watching Disney Movie Magic, but with nothing better to do we decided to watch anyways. As we waited we were trying to come up with a place to eat dinner; I had suggested Chuy's, my dad suggested nothin; my brother suggested Homecomin'. Where would we end up late in the night? Just keep reading ;)

Now back to the show it was rather enjoyable, and seemed to have improved since the last time we had watched it. Additionally to our surprise A Wrinkle in Time was present in the show as earned its very own segment right before Tron. Unfortunately I didn't photograph it as I was not expecting it to happen, but here's a semi blurry picture of the show!

DSCF6311.JPG

As we waited for the Star Wars fireworks the crowd began to dissipate, much to our surprise. Additionally we were shocked to see not only Rogue One, but Last Jedi included as well within the show. It was definitely interesting to watch how they updated the show, and how even though this was our first time it was still fresh for debuting years ago. Another reason why the two shows on the Chinese theater take the cake for freshness, as I can almost guarantee they are the only show to incorporate films from 2017 and 2018 in Walt Disney World.

Against the crowds we made our way out, and prepared for our restaurant of choice, Homecomin'. Originally we had planned on eating here, but opted to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party last minute last December. We arrived at the restaurant and were told to wait a hour and 50 minutes which we were fine with. We toured the Springs making sure to hit up my favorite dessert place on property, Sprinkles! My father was a Sprinkles virgin, but he decided to get a cupcake with me. I ordered the banana cupcake, and he the carrot cupcake. We held onto those as we were going to eat them after our meal at Homecomin'. We continued aimlessly as my brother got a text from his girlfriend to check out the new Disney Home store. We wandered throughout the Springs looking for any new homes good store, and we gave up. We asked a security guard to point us towards the store, and she replied with a huh? It turned out it had opend in Downtown Disney in Disneyland Resort, minor detail ;)

At this point it was time for Homecomin'! I was excited as I have been dying to try the Chicken and Donuts forever now. We sat down, and our server somehow convinced us to order hushpuppies, and the Thigh High Chicken Biscuits. We're not really into Southern food so the hushpuppies went essentially untouched. My brother and I had one, and my father had two. W estill had a whole basket left over. However the biscuits were good enough to be a meal all onto itself. Unfortunately no food was photographed during this trip, but DFB.com has my back once again!

Chicken-Biscuits-Homecomin-17_-670x600.jpg
Hush-Puppies-Homecomin-17_-586x600.jpg

Next were the entrees. I had ordered the Chicken and Donuts, my father had ordered the Country Club with fried chicken, and my brother with the Hanger Steak. My dad really liked the Country Club, and would definitely order it again. I can't really remember if my brother liked his order, but it was his second time ordering it as he had visited before. Finally my Chicken and Donuts, they weren't that good. The chicken was not very appetizing to me, but was the best chicken I've eaten at the Springs which isn't saying much the chicken I have eaten at the now defunct Wolfgang Puck and Raglan Road weren't that great either. The donuts were also not so great. All around the entree was just okay, but the appetizer of the Thigh High Chicken was so good! If I return I will definitely pursue the Thigh High Chicken.

Homecoming-Disney-Springs-fried-chicken-and-doughnuts-July-2017.jpg

hanger-steak.jpg
the-country-club.jpg

It was slowly approaching 12 AM as we began to return to our hotel. At this point all I wanted to do was sleep, but since it was my brother's last day before flying down to Miami he needed to get some more bothering people in. As he was driving he purposely took a wrong tour, and we somehow ended up at Citywalk at Universal. My father thoroughly upset took over, and drove us to our hotel which was luckily nearby. However once again we were lost, and couldn't find our room nor parking near where he believed our room was. Luckily we found our building, but no parking. We reached our room, and set down the cupcakes within the microwave to preserve them for tomorrow night as we were full from Homecomin'. As for my brother? He had packed everything, and was getting ready as he was flying out at 6 AM tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

21stamps

@tcool123 I thought of your report a few minutes ago..

I just dropped off my son and one of his friends.. we were listening to the radio and the song Stand by Me came on (Prince Royce version).. it’s comes on often and kiddo knows the words.. he’s singing along.
Kiddo’s friend doesn’t speak Spanish..and was laughing trying to sing along.

My son says- “I totally rock at Spanglish, I can teach you if you want to learn.”

The boy says “What the heck is Spanglish?”

My son- “it’s like a cousin of Spanish, and English. It’s a language of the mix.”

(I’m trying not to laugh) I say “T it’s not a real language.”

“I know, Mom.. but it’s like a real language.”

Friend says- “Why doesn’t the guy just sing in English or Spanish?”

Kiddo says, in total seriousness- “No, it’s what you have to speak if you’re in America. It’s like a rule. He must have come to America to make this song, usually he sings in Spanish.”

Me- “T, no that’s not a rule.”

Kiddo- “It’s not? Oh, I thought it was.”

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Edit- if you don’t know the song, Royce switches from English to Spanish and back often.. hopefully that gives context to the above.lol.. and for his entire life my kid has been surrounded by people who mix the two in almost every conversation. I didn’t realize that he was confused. Oops.

Last edited:

tcool123

Original Poster
@tcool123 I thought of your report a few minutes ago..

I just dropped off my son and one of his friends.. we were listening to the radio and the song Stand by Me came on (Prince Royce version).. it’s comes on often and kiddo knows the words.. he’s singing along.
Kiddo’s friend doesn’t speak Spanish..and was laughing trying to sing along.

My son says- “I totally rock at Spanglish, I can teach you if you want to learn.”

The boy says “What the heck is Spanglish?”

My son- “it’s like a cousin of Spanish, and English. It’s a language of the mix.”

(I’m trying not to laugh) I say “T it’s not a real language.”

“I know, Mom.. but it’s like a real language.”

Friend says- “Why doesn’t the guy just sing in English or Spanish?”

Kiddo says, in total seriousness- “No, it’s what you have to speak if you’re in America. It’s like a rule. He must have come to America to make this song, usually he sings in Spanish.”

Me- “T, no that’s not a rule.”

Kiddo- “It’s not? Oh, I thought it was.”

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Edit- if you don’t know the song, Royce switches from English to Spanish and back often.. hopefully that gives context to the above.lol
If it wasn't a real language then why are there so many songs written in Spanglish :rolleyes:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I googled it; it's nice sounding, and I'm positive I've heard before it at the barbershop.

Also some other songs in Spanglish ;)

21stamps

If it wasn't a real language then why are there so many songs written in Spanglish :rolleyes:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I googled it; it's nice sounding, and I'm positive I've heard before it at the barbershop.

Also some other songs in Spanglish ;)

Ha ha! Thanks:joyfull:. Also, Fair point!! We’re big fans of bachata and reggaeton.. there are quite a few songs in Spanglish.

Ok so tell me what I missed, I didn’t hear anything in the Epcot video.

tcool123

Original Poster
Day 3: How Do You Do? Nice to Meetcha!
Any guessers on to where this day's name came from? I can assure it's not from the first park of the day ;)

Early in the morning around 5 AM my brother and father awoke, and my dad wentlo off to the airport to drop them off. Apparently I was in a state of consciousness at this hour as well. How do I know? Well apparently when my dad came back to the hotel room he had an issue getting the room. Apparently I had put in place the bolt on the door when they left. How did this happen? I honestly wish I remembered. Additionally I apparently got out of bed again, and unbolted the door. To put the cherry on top my dad said good morning to which I growled, and went to asleep in my brother's bed that he recently vacated. Now imagine my bewilderment when I woke up in my brother's bed, and no clue to how I got there until my dad explained everything to me.

We quickly got ready for our day at the parks, and I had a "healthy" breakfast of a Sprinkles' Banana Cupcake. While it was in the microwave overnight it was actually still moist. However the frosting was pure sugar, and shocked me right awake. The cake itself tasted like Banana Bread, and I was very happy with the end result. While the frosting was too sweet; the cake was delish, and I can see myself ordering it again. As for my dad's carrot cupcake he still had not eaten it, and decided to have "real" breakfast, whatever that means :rolleyes::p

DWYHaUKX4AAiu1u.jpg

On the way over to our park for the day I had finally be given access to shotgun, and was finally able to take a shot of the Walt Disney World entrance sign. Does anyone want to take a guess as to what park we would visit today?

DSCF6314.JPG

Any Animal Kingdom guessers because you would be right! :D

I wished I had photographed the entrance to Animal Kingdom. Every single lane for the parking booths were swamped with cars including the busses only entrance. We waited 30 minutes in total just to get past the parking gates, and then an additional 15 to be able to actually park. It was going to a full day.

We had one goal today at Animal Kingdom: Animals. Our plans involved fastpassing Everest, a nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari, and somehow Flight of Passage. I was ecstatic that I was able to even get a fastpass for this ride, much less 30 days in advance. I remember when I first snagged the pass; I was in the shotgun seat of my dad's car as he was on his way to my school. I had originally booked River Journey, but wished for a later time. To my bewilderment a Flight of Passage fastpass had opened up to me, and I physically jumped from my car seat as I started screaming in excitement. I may or may not have startled my dad in the process of doing so :oops:

Back to my actual day at Animal Kingdom. We began the day as I struggled to go uphill in the Oasis, but I managed as we took frequent stops to look within the exhibits of the animal. However many of the animals in the Oasis were either not out, or asleep hidden from me and my dad. We quickly made our way instead to Dinosaur. Knowing my dad can't fit within the vehicle due to his knee; I asked him if he wished to be dropped off in the gift shop, but he declined asking for instead to be left outdoors, in the sun near the Iguanodon fountain. I made sure this is what he wanted, and he said yes. I entered the queue, and immediately went to Snapchat to message my friend Lea who I knew was also in the park today. As we were messaging each other I found out she was also in line. I looked around thinking to myself "how crazy would it be if she was right there?", and apparently it wasn't that crazy. Lea and her mom were literally right next to me on the other side of the queue. I put away my phone, and called Lea out. She was shocked, and I soon joined her and her mom in line.

We talked our way through the queue, and were soon riding our Time Rover saving Aladar the Iguanodon. As we exited Lea and her mom met my dad who was just outside, and we discovered that our next fastpass, Expedition Everest, was now. We quickly made our way through the fastpass line as I explained to them my dad's situation, and we weren't sure if he could fit in his ride due to his knee. Luckily he could, and soon we were riding through the Himalayas hunting down the mythical Yeti.

As we began wondering what to do he decided to head towards the Maharajah Jungle Trek, but on our way we saw some gibbons.

DSCF6316.JPG

As we wandered through the Jungle Trek we talked about our local zoo, and how could I apply to volunteer. For you see I love animals, and have been wishing to volunteer at the zoo. Additionally both Lea and her mom volunteer at the local zoo, and I thought who better than ask than these two. We made comparisons throughout the day between our Zoo back home, and Animal Kingdom.

DSCF6323.JPG

DSCF6326.JPG

DSCF6327.JPG

Our favorite area was the aviary as there was plenty of activity to be found as the birds began to prep their nests as it was almost springtime. Here is where we agreed our zoo had the upper hand as our zoo is home to America's largest open air aviary featuring ~400 birds of 85 different species. However the theming for Animal Kingdom's aviary was by far superior.

DSCF6338.JPG
DSCF6339.JPG
DSCF6345.JPG

DSCF6344.JPG

DSCF6330.JPG

As we made towards the exit of the trail a flock of macaws flew overhead us, and around us as we looked on in amazement. We were informed that normally the macaws would fly away, but since there is always a constant source of food fro them at the park they stay. Truly amazing to see such beautiful creatures fly around us.

We made our way out of the trails, and as we boarded a train to Rafiki's Planet Watch we realized something. To find out what we realized come back for part two ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom