My first trip report: April 23-30

I have been to WDW before, but this was my first experience staying on property and this is my first time posting a trip report. Prior to this trip (and with the exception of my very first visit as a pre-teen in 1987), I had always stayed in the same Super 8 motel on Vine Street in Kissimmee. I stayed there with some friends the first time, just to spend as little as possible on the room so as to have more money to spend in Florida. Being the sentimental person that I am, I thought it would be cool to stay in the same motel on our honeymoon in 2003, again, with the thinking that we won't be in the room much anyway, so why pay more for the room when I could save that money to use on activities. So, the wife and I stayed at that same motel the next two times that we went to Florida. However, this time, we wanted to try the full WDW Resort experience, so we booked a room at Port Orleans Riverside. And, despite all the complaining that I will do at various times in this trip report, overall I had a very good time and totally hope to return and do it again next year. And, I found out that the saying is true that "once you stay on property, you never go back". I had originally planned on going back to Kissimmee next year and staying in the ol' Super 8 again, so as to save money and do Sea World, Bush Gardens and Universal again as well as a couple days at Disney. But now I think I want to stay on property again! Anyway, we bought 10 day parkhopper passes with no expiration, with the intent of only using 6 days and thereby coming home with 4 unused days to use later. But, as I will explain later, we only used 5 days, so now I have a 5 day, prepaid parkhopper to use next year, or whenever it is we may go next! :sohappy: Anyway, enough with the introductory stuff and on with the trip report!

Sunday April 22

Got up at 4 AM to get ready for our big road trip. We got the baby to the wife's parents', while I had to run up to Walmart real quick to get a can of formula, as that can wouldn't have lasted throughout the day, let alone the whole week. That gave the wife a chance to say her goodbyes to him while I was at Walmart. We left about 6:30 AM (Central Standard Time), right on schedule. Surprisingly, my wife did very well and didn't cry at all about leaving the baby for a week. Driving through south through Southern Illinois, we saw traffic majorly backed up in the Northbound lane and I wondered if that pleasant situation would still be awaiting me on our return back home. It was. :brick: I'll get back to that later. Drove through Kentucky and Tennessee and Georgia, and finally stopped at around 10:30 PM (Eastern Standard Time) in a town just over the Florida State line. Got a motel room for the night and picked up the final few hours the next morning.

Monday April 23

Checked into Port Orleans, Riverside around 10 or 10:30 or so. Beautiful Resort. We both loved it. Room wasn't ready, nor had I expected it to be, since check in isn't until 3 PM. I got our key to the world cards and we went about checking out our resort. We went into the gift shop and bought some souveniers right off the bat, including a lanyard for myself, a Port Orleans Riverside pin, and a box of cheap, starter pins. I traded on pin with a woman in the gift shop that day, then decided that of the remaining six pins, I would trade one per day until Sunday, which was our last full day there. We then walked over to French Quarter and looked around. We both liked ours better, although the wife didn't really care for FQ at all, whereas I still thought it was nice. We got lunch in the Food Court at FQ. We ran into Kissimmee to get some sparkling grape juice at the same Walmart where it is our tradition to visit on every trip. The wife wanted to drink sparkling grape juice in the gazeebo right outside of our mansion that night. We went back to WDW property and drove by Pop Century, but neither of us were impressed enough to explore further by getting out of the van. So we just looked as we drove by and commented how there is really nothing to do outside except walk through the parking lot. Neither of us cared much for it, but then again, that's why it's a "value" resort: you get what you pay for and if you want the pretty atmosphere, you pay for it by staying at a higher priced resort. We drove into Coronado Springs and stopped and got out of the van to look around. We both liked it. I really wouldn't mind staying there sometime, although I really loved POR and would just as soon stay there again. I called to check on the room again and it still wasn't ready. So we concluded that they probably don't tell you it's ready until 3 PM...which is about when they did tell me it is ready. We got to our room and unpacked and really liked the grounds and our room.

We went to the Contemporary Resort for a 6 PM ADR at Chef Mickey's. We got there a little bit early so we could ride the monorail and look around the resort a little. My wife totally didn't like the resort. She thought it was ugly and tacky. I didn't completely agree, but I do think that it is kind of bland. But yet, sort of cool looking, too. It would be one of my last picks based on atmosphere and theming, but it's close proximity and easy access to MK definitely earns it some points. We really enjoyed Chef Mickey's. Good food and good atmosphere, and we got some pictures of each other with some characters. After supper, we went to Kissimmee to play mini-golf at Pirates Island, where we always play when we come to Florida. Had a good time as always.

I had originally planned to take my wife to the Poly to watch Wishes at 10, but she seemed to prefer to spend the evening at our own resort instead. Since the whole point was to do something I thought she would find romantic, I figured we may as well do what she wants to do, so we went back to the grounds and spend the rest of the evening at POR, and we drank that Sparkling grape juice in the gazeebo. We also took the boat ride to Downtown Disney, although we did not look around. The wife didn't care to go to Downtown Disney, so all we did was get off the boat (since we were told it was one way only at that time of evening) and then get right back on the next boat to head back to Riverside. We did not enter any theme parks that day.

Tuesday April 24

It was morning EMH day at Epcot, so we went there at 8 AM or so and spent the entire day, finishing with Illuminations. Did several "firsts" that day. Prior to this visit, we had never done the China Movie, the American Adventure, O Canada, The Circle of Life or Journey into Imagination. Also, it was our first time back since 2005, so it was our first time doing "The Seas with Nemo", the new Grand Fiesta in Mexico and the new version of "Living with the Land" with the automated spiel. For reasons I will explain in a minute, we missed out on O Canada and the Circle of Life on Tuesday's visit. I never even new that Journey into Imagination was a ride. I was expecting a movie or a walkthrough thing, but was surprised to see that it was a ride and that I had totally missed it all these times. I guess I've been in too much of a hurry in the past, perhaps in part because of the limited time I have had in the Disney parks, as opposed to the whole week on property that I had this time. Anyway, there are a couple reasons we didn't get all these things done on that day. One reason was that I was trying to go at a slower pace, allowing us both (especially my wife) to enjoy it a little more, instead of my usual pace of "dragging her around" as my wife says, and wearing her out. Secondly, I have noticed that I have seen this guy named Art Lark on TV (in the Samantha Brown Great Hotels show), as well as in a couple of publications, so I thought it would be neat to go meet him in person. On the Great Hotels episode where Samantha visits the Yacht and Beach Club, she meets Art at the lobby and they discuss pin trading. So, I thought it would be awesome to walk over there and meet him and trade a pin. My wife griped at me the whole way over there about me dragging her over there, and told me that he'd better be on duty that day, or she's just gonna sit there for an hour and rest and make me wait for her. :lol: Well, fortunately for me, Art was on duty. I was thrilled to be able to meet him in person, so I went up to him and introduced myself and shook hands, and I told him how I had seen him on TV and had wanted to meet him. He was such a wonderful, nice man, and he told me that he felt very blessed to know that I made a point to come over and meet him. I traded a pin with him, and the pin I got from him was shaped like a book and said "Illuminations" on it, with 6 little "stamps" on it. The next day, at Animal Kingdom, a cast member told me that that pin is actually worth a lot of money. Maybe, maybe not, but it's worth alot to me, just knowing that everytime I watch that episode and see Art, I'll know that I met him in person and got a pin from him. So, we weren't able to do everything in Epcot that day, but that didn't bother me since I knew we would be back for supper a couple times that week.

We did Grand Fiesta twice that day. It was okay, but I still miss El Rio. We did Maelstrom twice, and in one of our waits in line for that ride, we actually met a poster from this message board. I was wearing one of my wdwmagic.com shirts and he happened to be standing right by us in line and he approached me about it. He said his screen name is some abbreviated version of "breaking news". We talked for a while in line, then he got on the boatload before our group. We waved as he sailed off, then he was still there waiting for the doors to open when we got off our boat. We sat down for the movie, and he walked out the door, and the last time we saw him was in the Norway gift shops. We had a nice visit in line and he seemed like a nice guy.

The new Nemo ride was okay, but being the purist that I tend to be, I wish they would have just left it the heck alone. I miss the Living Seas, but I guess all I can do is just roll with the changes.

We ate supper at Alfredo's in Italy. I wasn't impressed but the wife loved it. My food was good, mind you. I was just dissappointed in a couple of things. For one, they were out of the Calamari Appetizer, so that gave me a bad impression right off the bat. Secondly, I ordered the "wild boar" main course that was supposed to come with Italian Sausages (note the plural there). Now, in my mind, since wild boar is basically a wild pig, when I picture a wild boar main course in my mind, I'm thinking of a big pork roast thing with some italian sausages on the side. Imagine my surprise, when my plate comes out and all there is are two sausages. One bigger than the other. I asked if that was the wild boar and he said it was. I could only conclude that the bigger sausage was the wild boar and the smaller one was the Italian sausage. But, according to the menu, the wild boar was supposed to be accompanied by the plural of Italian Sausage, which means that if one of the sausages was the wild boar, then there should have been two sausages on the side, for a total of three. Either that, or they gave me the sausages and forgot to give me the wild boar. Either way, I did not leave with a favorable impression of this restaraunt, despite the fact that everything tasted fine. But I like the taste of catfish, too, but I would still be dissapointed if I ordered a New York Strip steak and instead got a plate of catfish. We stood in line forever at the bus station to go back to POR. I think everyone that visits Epcot must be from POR, because there were hardly any lines for the other resorts. However, we got to visiting with the couple in front of us, and chatted with them all the way back to property, although it was sometimes hard to hear with the squalling little demon girl a seat or two back, screaming bloody murder all the way from Epcot to Port Orleans. We got off at French Quarter, partly because I wanted to enjoy the pretty walk, and partly because I didn't want to have to listen to demon girl squalling in my ear any longer.

Well, this trip report thing is taking longer than I thought, as I am just now finishing my first full day there. I'm going to take a break and continue in a little while. See ya'll then!

Bug715

I'm sorry but I don't think its a nice thing to think about your child as "dragging you down." A few years ago when my whole family went one of my little cousins was 13 months and he loved Disney.

Yes he would slow your drive down but big deal. My cousin was so cute with the characters especially his then favorite, tigger. You are already planning on taking a nap break during the day so your son could nap then plus in the stroller in the parks.

I'd understand not taking a newborn as we were suppose to go when my cousin would've been a month old so we changed the date. Sorry again if this seems rude especially since I don't have kids but I spent my time carrying, chasing, and strolling both of my cousins when we were there and will most likely do the same this summer.

maggiegrace1

I understand the whole wanting to ride rides together thing..but we took my daughter when she was 7 months and we just took her in march and she was 19 months and we had the BEST time.

Watching her face when she saw things and just doing all the rides and shows with her was amazing.

Yes it is nice to go without your child and have adult time but experiencing it with your child is amazing.

Will she remember it..probably not yet..but we wil and those memories are priceless.:)

Not once did we consider her dragging us down either..we took breaks and went to the room and just sat and watched people..kind of the same way you had to do with your wife.

JustPlainBill

Some closing thoughts

By the way, can I book the dining plan without buying tickets?
As it is now the answer is no. When we first booked our trip for June 2007 last year in July the CM who handled us talked us in to buying our park tickets at that time because the prices were going to go up. We asked about purchasing the dining plan and at that time there was no news that disney was going to continue the plan for 2007. The CM told us we could add it on later if it becomes available. As history tells us it was continued, we had recieved our confirmation numbers and over $900 in park tickets in the mail. My wife called up to add the dining plan like we were told we could, and it turned out that we would have to buy more park tickets in order to add the dining plan, because it would not be possible to add it to the tickets we already received. The orginal CM made a mistake by telling us we could, after a lot of phone calls and emails we recieved an apology from Disney, but no dining plan for us. What irritates me is when we called to send in our final payments for our reservations last week the CM asked us if we wanted to add the dining plan, my wife told her that we couldn't and why (it was like opening an old wound). The CM told us to buy another set of park tickets and we could have it. We already bought more tickets than we could use, why would I buy more, that would be insane. Jeesh! I don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. It's just as well for us, it's probably better for us not to have the plan, more freedom to do what we want.

Nemo14

As it is now the answer is no. When we first booked our trip for June 2007 last year in July the CM who handled us talked us in to buying our park tickets at that time because the prices were going to go up. We asked about purchasing the dining plan and at that time there was no news that disney was going to continue the plan for 2007. The CM told us we could add it on later if it becomes available. As history tells us it was continued, we had recieved our confirmation numbers and over $900 in park tickets in the mail. My wife called up to add the dining plan like we were told we could, and it turned out that we would have to buy more park tickets in order to add the dining plan, because it would not be possible to add it to the tickets we already received. The orginal CM made a mistake by telling us we could, after a lot of phone calls and emails we recieved an apology from Disney, but no dining plan for us. What irritates me is when we called to send in our final payments for our reservations last week the CM asked us if we wanted to add the dining plan, my wife told her that we couldn't and why (it was like opening an old wound). The CM told us to buy another set of park tickets and we could have it. We already bought more tickets than we could use, why would I buy more, that would be insane. Jeesh! I don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. It's just as well for us, it's probably better for us not to have the plan, more freedom to do what we want.
To get the dining plan you have to book a package (room plus tickets) You can buy one-day tickets and still get the plan for the entire number of nights you have booked.

sbkline

Original Poster
To get the dining plan you have to book a package (room plus tickets) You can buy one-day tickets and still get the plan for the entire number of nights you have booked.

Can water park tickets count, or does it have to be theme park tickets?

JustPlainBill

We did buy the room together with the tickets at the same time from the same CM, we thought it was a package, but unfortunately the original CM made a mistake and didn't code it as such, which also gave us a problem with our Disney credit card charging us interest, when they weren't supposed to when you charge a Disney Vacation Package. The credit card company tells us to straighten it out with Disney, Disney tells us to straighten it out with the credit card company, fun, right? All we wanted to do was add the dining plan to our vacation like we were told we could and are now being told we can't unless we spent more money than anyone else has to. I asked if we could add the plan to the tickets we already bought, we were told no, I mean why? Not wanting to get too deep into this,...too late! :brick: I understand what you're saying, as I said it's opening an old wound, it got to a point that I don't want the plan out of spite now :mad: after fighting to try and get it. I mean, yes, this situation is easy to resolve, just buy more park tickets, I know, the point is, I don't need anymore tickets and I don't want to buy more tickets, (waste of money) in order to save money on the dining plan, for a mistake that Disney made when they booked my trip originally. In the long run I wouldn't be saving any money on the dining plan if I spend additional hundreds of dollars on tickets I won't use. Sorry for the rant, I appreciate your help. I guess my point is beware, as nice and as helpful as the person is who is booking your vacation, know yourself what your options are and don't rely on them to know. We hadn't booked a Disney vacation in 17 years, we were quite green as to the options available, and very trusting. :hammer:

sbkline

Original Poster
Is the road work delays you speak of very bad, would you recommend bypassing this area and taking another route?

The one in Southern Illinois was pretty bad. We came to a total halt down there. I can't remember what town it was by, but if you take the I-57 route down to I-24, you will be able to see it in the Northbound lane as you travel down the Southbound lane. And on that one, yes I would recommend taking another route for that part of the drive. Like maybe getting on a North/South highway for a little bit until you get past where the road work is. But only on the way back home. When we went last week, it was fine going south. We could just see on the Northbound lane what was going on. So on the way home, you may consider taking a different way for at least part of the trip through Illinois. In Southern Georgia, I've seen alot worse, but it was still aggravating. I don't know if I would recommend trying to find an alternate route down there, but it depends on how patient you are, I guess. But that roadwork didn't cause us to come to a total screeching halt like the one in Illinois did. It was more a matter of them constantly jacking the speed limits around. 70, then 60, then 55, then back up to 65, yada yada yada.

JustPlainBill

I don't know if I would recommend trying to find an alternate route down there, but it depends on how patient you are, I guess.
I was worried mostly about the trip home from Orlando, I'm planning on driving straight to Nashville, crash for the night then come straight home from there, which would be another 8 hours or so. I plan on driving 10 to 11 hours that first leg, which is really pushing my limits, any construction would of course increase that time. If the road work you speak of is at Valdosta, and stretches south to the Georgia/Florida state line, there is a highway that runs along it just to the east, local route it looks like, Rt. 41, Valdosta, GA to Jennings, FL. If the speed only drops to 55 mph then I don't see it effecting me that much, it's the stop and go stuff that I worry about. On the trip down I'm stopping twice (I usually try not to drive more than 8 hours a day.) I was at first going to stop twice on the way home but the way it worked out was on the second day drive, 8 hours would have put me in just south of Chicago which is only 2 hours from my house, I didn't want to do an overnighter there, being so close to home. I thought it would be better to make the longer end of the drive the first day since we would be so depressed leaving WDW anyway.

sbkline

Original Poster
If I remember correctly, the road work was pretty much from that Dooley Rest Area down to Valdosta. I don't remember traffic coming to too much of a stop due to it, but it did cause the speed limits to fluctuate alot. Of course, by the time you go down, they may be delving into that road work alot more causing some major traffic backups.

firefly594

Ok I just have to say something,

Yes us women need naps, why do the parks from dusk to dawn! Holey Moley. Also the game plan for when you go back is half right, Stay far far away from EMH parks that's where THEY go, you know the ones that glare at you when you pass them in the line with your fast pass because they think you BOUGHT your way thru the line.
You go to the OTHER parks the ones THEY are not going to to, you go on LOTS of rides, eat lunch early before THEY do, then get the heck out and go back to your hotel nap and swim.
Then go back at night to any of the parks that are NOT emh unless you just like slow torture.
A much happier time for you and the Mrs.:brick:

~Donna

Oh and hide the pringles somewhere for god's sake!
:ROFLOL:

Kman101

Good trip report! Glad you had fun despite some setbacks.

I personally like going with people but ended up going myself for day trips (I'm close enough to do it) and I find myself rushing around to do all the rides. It ends up wearing me out more than it should. So, I'm going to take my time now that I've basically done everything. LOL.

I can't speak from experience but I doubt a baby will drag you down. I understand you reasonings and tend to agree but if your wife doesn't ride a lot of the rides you do, she can easily sit with the baby while you go on the rides you did before without her.

I did stay one night at a value resort and loved the convience of not driving to the parks. It was wonderful.

sbkline

Original Poster
Ok I just have to say something,

Yes us women need naps, why do the parks from dusk to dawn! Holey Moley. Also the game plan for when you go back is half right, Stay far far away from EMH parks that's where THEY go, you know the ones that glare at you when you pass them in the line with your fast pass because they think you BOUGHT your way thru the line.
You go to the OTHER parks the ones THEY are not going to to, you go on LOTS of rides, eat lunch early before THEY do, then get the heck out and go back to your hotel nap and swim.
Then go back at night to any of the parks that are NOT emh unless you just like slow torture.
A much happier time for you and the Mrs.:brick:

~Donna

Oh and hide the pringles somewhere for god's sake!
:ROFLOL:

When you suggest staying away from the EMH parks, are you referring to evening EMH? I'm not as concerned about doing the evening EMH. I just thought if we get there for the morning EMH, we could get a head start and get that much more done so we can leave in the afternoon and go back to the hotel. And then go back to another park in the evening, but not necessarily the one that has evening EMH.

And yes, apparently I need to hide the pringles from now on. :lol: Although I shouldn't have to. I know many people made the comment that she probably thought they were empty, but for heaven's sake, when in doubt...LEAVE IT ALONE! Not to mention the fact that when you pick up a can, you can tell by the weight that it is not empty. Plus, those clear plastic lids allow you to see through it and tell that it is not empty. Plus, it takes no time or effort at all to lift the lid and check. And if I wanted it thrown away, I would have thrown it in the trash. So, basically, there is no excuse for those princgles being missing...especially when it happened twice. So since it is so easy to tell if the can is empty or not, I must again conclude that she stole my pringles on purpose. So I guess I will hide them next time. :shrug:

Kman101

I do agree with you on the Pringles situation. It's not their place to make that call. But of course we can't say they took them, although it's possible. They should of just left it alone.

sbkline

Original Poster
I do agree with you on the Pringles situation. It's not their place to make that call. But of course we can't say they took them, although it's possible. They should of just left it alone.

Well, the facts are that the pringles are gone and that my wife and I are not the ones who disposed of them. So that leaves the fact that someone else did it. And since, presumably mousekeeping was the only other party in the room, then that means that mousekeeping took them. The only thing I can't say with total certainty is with what intent they were taken. Was it out of the mistaken impression that they were empty and needed thrown away, or was it out of a willful intent to steal them? That's the only question. But oh well, at least it wasn't my portable DVD player or something. LOL

We go to Walmart today to get our pictures back. If I can figure out how, I may try to post some on here, but that's a big "IF" for this computer illiterate hick. :ROFLOL:

Wife of Sbkline

Hi people,

I am the wife of SbKline.I thought I would give a brief report of our trip. I had a good time despite my husband's commando ways of the park experience.I would like to adress a few things my husband has mentioned in his report.First of all the reason we didn't take the baby was so we could have a second honeymoon. Cant really do that with a baby.My husband was right when he wrote that I didn't want to take the baby because it would'nt be fun for any of us,but mainly because we wanted a second honeymoon.Second I thoght my husband overreadted about the pringels.My thought like alot of others was "who cares,it's just a can of pringels" .I loved staying on property and Iwould love to take our son with us next year.My husband was great when he switched days for me so I could take a break from the parks. I love the shopping at the mall.You all have proably got the impression that i'm not as big a fan of wdw as you all are,but I still had fun!

brkgnews

It was good to meet you guys at Maelstrom.

And I did watch the Norway film, too. I just was in the back of the theater. :lookaroun
Anything closer is too blasted loud. :lol:

sbkline

Original Poster
Me and Art Lark. The pin I got from him is the second one from the top on my left hand side.

PDSCF0513_054.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom