My Feelings On Seasonal Attractions

speck76

joviacdan said:
Sorry you feel that way.

So are you saying everyone on this thread that shares the same beliefs have no logic either?

And hey, maybe that's the case. There are many things that are done in the business world that aren't fair to the consumer. Does that make them ethical?

This thread started with me voicing my opinions about seasonal attractions. It somehow became about the parks closing early.

I don't see my feelings on that illogical in the least bit.

If I go to the movies on a Tuesday night, I would expect that the theatre would use all of the speakers for the show as they do on Friday night? Should they not because there aren't as many people in the theatre?

You are not very good at comparisons. How about, if you go to a theater on an off night, they may use a smaller auditorium, or only have 1 ticket window open, or even they may close off a section of seats so they have less of the theater to clean.

I am not expecting everyone to follow my beliefs, but to expect the parks to carry the same hours 365 days a year is a little absurd. What you are saying is that regardless of the amount of visitors in the park, if it is 15,000 or 55,000, the parks should remain open the same amout of hours........ok then....

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
speck76 said:
You are not very good at comparisons. How about, if you go to a theater on an off night, they may use a smaller auditorium, or only have 1 ticket window open, or even they may close off a section of seats so they have less of the theater to clean.

I am not expecting everyone to follow my beliefs, but to expect the parks to carry the same hours 365 days a year is a little absurd. What you are saying is that regardless of the amount of visitors in the park, if it is 15,000 or 55,000, the parks should remain open the same amout of hours........ok then....

I have never once seen a theatre close off any section of seats.

If they had only 1 ticket window open, that would make sense. Just like only having one side of Space Mountain open when it's slow. Yes, there's no need to have both sides going if they don't need to. Big difference between shutting down one side, and shutting the park entirely, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

speck76

joviacdan said:
I have never once seen a theatre close off any section of seats.

If they had only 1 ticket window open, that would make sense. Just like only having one side of Space Mountain open when it's slow. Yes, there's no need to have both sides going if they don't need to. Big difference between shutting down one side, and shutting the park entirely, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

I disagree that the park needs to maintain the same hours year-around.

He is the thing, do they maintain normal hours 9am-8pm, or extended hours 9am-11pm.

If they maintain normal hours, the guests visiting in the peak season not only have to wait in longer lines all day, but also run the risk of not being able to see everything.

If they maintain the extended hours, the guest visiting in the off season would most likely leave early anyway.....how many times in a day can one ride Peter Pan before it gets old.

mrtoad

Enderikari said:
I'm gonna side with Speck on this one. During the Summer months, when every attraction is open, Disney is slimming the lines of the E-Ticket attractions by the amount of people waiting for those seasonal attractions. Every day, people would complain because they could only ride 5 or 6 attractions in a day, and that numher would be less if not for the seasonal attractions.
However, during September/October, the longest line I have seen in Peter Pan, at 40 minutes. Other than that, it is RARE to see attractions with over 25 minutes. What the guest is not getting in Quantity of rides, they are getting back in quality of visit. I love CoP, and TimeKeeper, and WoL, but it would be a problem of spreading itself too thin.

I ask again, can someone please explain this to me?

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
"If they maintain the extended hours, the guest visiting in the off season would most likely leave early anyway.....how many times in a day can one ride Peter Pan before it gets old."

Personally Peter Pan is one of my favorites, but I see what you mean. For me it would be, how many times can someone ride Dumbo in one day?

The answer - As many times as they feel like.

Lauriebar

mrtoad said:
I ask again, can someone please explain this to me?

I know it's not my post but the way I read it is: The seasonal attractions are opened during the busy season so that guests will have the opportunity to choose these rides instead of the E tickets. This shortens the wait times for said E tickets and allows more guests to experience those attractions.

During the less busy season there is no need for the seasonal attractions to be open because E ticket wait times are much more managable and guest do not get frustrated with only being able to ride 4-5 rides in a day because they can basically ride them as many times as they want.

In theory seasonal rides serve a purpose in guest flow.

speck76

Lauriebar said:
I know it's not my post but the way I read it is: The seasonal attractions are opened during the busy season so that guests will have the opportunity to choose these rides instead of the E tickets. This shortens the wait times for said E tickets and allows more guests to experience those attractions.

During the less busy season there is no need for the seasonal attractions to be open because E ticket wait times are much more managable and guest do not get frustrated with only being able to ride 4-5 rides in a day because they can basically ride them as many times as they want.

Exactly!

speck76

joviacdan said:
Personally Peter Pan is one of my favorites, but I see what you mean. For me it would be, how many times can someone ride Dumbo in one day?

The answer - As many times as they feel like.

Ok....

Well, guests are paying the same $50ish dollars if they come at Easter or if they come in September. If one is able to do 25 attractions at Easter due to the longer hours (but they have to wait longer for each ride) or 25 attractions in September (no lines, but the hours are shorter) aren't both guests getting the same value?...They are both getting to experience the same amount of attractions.

mrtoad

Lauriebar said:

Thanks for the reply. While I understand that they use them during heavy times to spread the crowds so to speak, I don't know why if they are closing those during slower times why they also cut hours. I would just think it should be one or the other if I am paying the same price.

Enjoy your trip tomorrow!

Mike

Enderikari

joviacdan said:
If I go to the movies on a Tuesday night, I would expect that the theatre would use all of the speakers for the show as they do on Friday night? Should they not because there aren't as many people in the theatre?
Personally, its my opinion, that this is an innappropriate analogy. A more correct analogy is thus:

If I go to the movies on a Tuesday night, I would NOT expect the theater to be playing the exact same number and variety of movies that they would play on a Friday night.

As we all know, special sneak previews and weekend movies only play during the busy times, plus movie theaters are open much later on weekend days.

GenerationX

speck76 said:
Well, guests are paying the same $50ish dollars if they come at Easter or if they come in September. If one is able to do 25 attractions at Easter due to the longer hours (but they have to wait longer for each ride) or 25 attractions in September (no lines, but the hours are shorter) aren't both guests getting the same value?...They are both getting to experience the same amount of attractions.
I would argue that the guest in September is getting better value than the guest at Easter. While they are experiencing the same number of attractions, the September guest is able to do so more efficiently. The time this person has saved can be spent on activities much more enjoyable than waiting in line. There has to be more entertainment options available and longer hours at the parks during the busier times to spread the crowds, reduce time "wasted" in line, and lift the trip's perceived value to match that of a trip during a slower time.

speck76

GenerationX said:
I would argue that the guest in September is getting better value than the guest at Easter. While they are experiencing the same number of attractions, the September guest is able to do so more efficiently. The time this person has saved can be spent on activities much more enjoyable than waiting in line. There has to be more entertainment options available and longer hours at the parks during the busier times to spread the crowds, reduce time "wasted" in line, and lift the trip's perceived value to match that of a trip during a slower time.

What you are saying goes against joviacdan's point that the park should maintain regular hours all year long.

I am an annual passholder, and I go to the Magic Kingdom every Friday after work. In the peak seasons, I do not get to ride more than 1 or 2 rides, (as I won't wait in a long line), even though the park is open until 10 or 11pm (I get to the park at 6pm'ish) In the off season, I can rides 7 or 8 rides and still catch Wishes, even though the park shuts at 8pm. I get 2 less hours of the park being open, and I STILL get to experience more in the park.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Let me clarify this, as even I have gotten lost on the exact point of this thread.

I understand why Disney doesn't keep the same hours all year long. And I DO understand why they have "seasonal" attractions. I TOTALLY understand.

It doesn't mean that I have to agree with it. And that's just my feelings - I don't agree with it.

I guess from the way I see it, I've never gone down during peak season. I've always made sure to stay away from those times. So, therefore, I've only been on what is techniaclly off season.

However, I have NEVER (with the exception of E-Nights) seen the Magic Kingdom at such a low capacity that Disney would lose ANYTHINGA by keeping it open until 10:00PM.

So, maybe I have no right to say anything given I've never experienced peak season, but I can say I have never been to a Six Flags, travelling fair or any other amusement park that was everr more crowded than the Magic Kingdom on it's slowest day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom