My Feelings On Seasonal Attractions

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
speck76 said:
They are not "saving" money.....they are keeping themselves from losing money....there is a big difference.

Losing money??????

Oh come on -You don't actually believe that do you????

If Disney were losing money by keeping the Wonders Of Life Pavillion open during non-peak times, they wouldn't be open ANYTIME.

Disney is in no way, shape or form in ANY danger of losing ANY money at Walt Disney World.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
speck76 said:
Yes.

Of course, if you wanted to show value to your customers, you would charge for shipping, and then adjust off the charge for your customer, because they are special, and you appreciate them.

Also, you could then, based on you demand and your profit needs, adjust off the whole shipping charge, or just part of the charge, or whatever you wanted to do.

OK - And how do we determine which customers are special and which ones are not?

Maybe Disney should open the Wonders Of Life Pavillion just for me when I go down in February. It'll be my 4th trip there in 16 months.

General Grizz

I usually my mold my trips around the times CoP, TK, and WoL are open. If that's the way Disney wants to do it, that's the way they lose my money.

dreamteacher

joviacdan said:
Losing money??????

If Disney were losing money by keeping the Wonders Of Life Pavillion open during non-peak times, they wouldn't be open ANYTIME.

Disney is in no way, shape or form in ANY danger of losing ANY money at Walt Disney World.
I agree totaly

speck76

joviacdan said:
OK - And how do we determine which customers are special and which ones are not?

Maybe Disney should open the Wonders Of Life Pavillion just for me when I go down in February. It'll be my 4th trip there in 16 months.

You missed the point.....and all customers are special.

Back to your analogy, if you blindly don't charge anything for shipping, your customers will have little or no good feelings about the purchase. If you say that you charge for shipping, but for "customer appreciation" you will waive the shipping charges, the customers will feel better about the purchase, as they will feel like you gave them a gift....even if this is standard practice.

Trust me....people are stupid.

General Grizz

Oh, by the way..

Disney doesn't close WoL to save operational costs. They operate Wonders of Life every day (meaning, they are "losing money everyday" :confused: ) but it's closed to guests. Cast Members and company conventions are held in Wonders of Life, and a lot is up and running. . . but we can't experiece it.

Why? They want to gain 3-6 million on a tax write-off.

Disney courtesy? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Never mind the daily 11,000 person attendance and need for rehab. . .

speck76

joviacdan said:
Losing money??????

Really.....losing money does not mean they are spending more than they are making, it also means that they are not making as much as they should.

Believe it or not, on Wall Street, magins are sometimes viewed as more important that actual revenue.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
And hey, please don't get me wrong.

I know I sound awfully complaining about this. I love Disney World as much as the next person. Actually, much more so. I go there 2 or 3 times a year if I can. I'm taking my honeymoon there. It's my favorite place on earth.

Because I love it so much, is also why I'm so critical of it though.

When I was there last October and WOL was closed, my first thought was "Maybe they're putting something else there."

When I was there in January and it was closed, I thought "Wow - No work is being done. Maybe there was some sort of problem inside."

When I was there in September and it was closed and I found out it was because crowds were less and it was only open now during peak seasons, I thought to myself "This is the place I always defend against my friends who say it's just a big corporate money making machine?"

And yup - I'll still defend it. But I'd defend it a heck of a lot more if they started treating all guests the same.

speck76

joviacdan said:
And hey, please don't get me wrong.

I know I sound awfully complaining about this. I love Disney World as much as the next person. Actually, much more so. I go there 2 or 3 times a year if I can. I'm taking my honeymoon there. It's my favorite place on earth.

Because I love it so much, is also why I'm so critical of it though.

When I was there last October and WOL was closed, my first thought was "Maybe they're putting something else there."

When I was there in January and it was closed, I thought "Wow - No work is being done. Maybe there was some sort of problem inside."

When I was there in September and it was closed and I found out it was because crowds were less and it was only open now during peak seasons, I thought to myself "This is the place I always defend against my friends who say it's just a big corporate money making machine?"

And yup - I'll still defend it. But I'd defend it a heck of a lot more if they started treating all guests the same.

Flipping the tables, maybe these rides are opened during busy times to give those guests better value, as they are the guests having to wait 2 hours for e-ticket rides, not those who are visiting in the off-season.

Guests visiting during the peak season probably get less re-rides on the e-tickets than those during the off-season too.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
speck76 said:
Flipping the tables, maybe these rides are opened during busy times to give those guests better value, as they are the guests having to wait 2 hours for e-ticket rides, not those who are visiting in the off-season.

Guests visiting during the peak season probably get less re-rides on the e-tickets than those during the off-season too.

Yeah, that's actually a VERY good point. Never really thought of it this way. In fact, I personally feel sorry for those people who go during President's Week. I've heard absolute nightmares about that time of year.

Lauriebar

speck76 said:
Do you think that some manager "has it out for the CoP" and will not rest until the ride is dead and buried?
No, I do not. I am simply saying that the wheels are already turning. What is going to happen is going to happen. One can not deny that these things have a pattern...an attraction becomes open seasonally, then perhaps closed for refurb, then closed forever. Nothing is ever as simple as "this ride has low attendence, we are going to close it"

I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy, you read too much into my post. I'm just expressing my thoughts on the matter.

mrtoad

We always go in the off season and miss out on attractions that are seasonal now. I think it is wrong on Disney's part.

I could understand it if they did not do things like shorten park hours as well. I pay the same ticket price as someone who goes in peak season yet not only do I get less times at the parks, I get less to see.

It should be one or the other if at all.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Another excellent point.

Thanks for the avatars by the way. I was getting tired of having that Epcot picture. Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to resize my pics.

mrtoad

joviacdan said:
Another excellent point.

Thanks for the avatars by the way. I was getting tired of having that Epcot picture. Unfortunately, I still can't figure out how to resize my pics.

No problem, glad you found one you like. :)

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Who doesn't like the Big Cheese???

Is it abnormal for a 28 year old male who just came back from Disney World for the 10th time 1 month ago and who's going back in 4 months to already be having Mickey withdrawerals?

Also, is it abnormal that when Mickey stands on the front of the Main Street Station facing Seven Seas Lagoon, waving goodbye to the guests at the end of the night, that I just stand there for 20 minutes until he's done?

speck76

mrtoad said:
I could understand it if they did not do things like shorten park hours as well. I pay the same ticket price as someone who goes in peak season yet not only do I get less times at the parks, I get less to see.

So, even though the waits are minimal, you would want the parks to remain open the longer summer hours during the off-season.

Why would WDW ever do this?

Think about it, a guest that comes on New Year's Eve may be in the park from 9am until 1am.....16 hours, but if they experience 10 attractions, and have to wait an extra 1/2 hour in line for each attraction, they are spending 5 extra hours waiting in lines.

Now, if you in September, when wait times are non-existant, and the park is open from 9am until 8pm...11 hours, you are actually getting to see just as much, you just are not spending those extra 5 hours in line.

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying, but keep something else in mind.

There are certain nights the Magic Kingdom closes before dusk. When this happens, they don't have either Spectromagic or Wishes.

OK, here's the thing:

Animal Kingdom is open pretty much the same time all year round.

Epcot ALWAYS keeps the same hours of 9-9 (at least that I know of.)

MGM is pretty standard too, usually open until about 8:30, maybe 9:30.

This is where things just start to not make sense to me. The Magic Kingdom. The most popular theme park in the entire world. The "heart" of Disney World.

Why is this the one park that they always mess around with the hours on? Close MGM earlier and leave the Magic Kingdom open late every night. It's the most popular, shouldn't it be open the longest for the guests?

speck76

joviacdan said:
I understand what you are saying, but keep something else in mind.

There are certain nights the Magic Kingdom closes before dusk. When this happens, they don't have either Spectromagic or Wishes.

OK, here's the thing:

Animal Kingdom is open pretty much the same time all year round.

Epcot ALWAYS keeps the same hours of 9-9 (at least that I know of.)

MGM is pretty standard too, usually open until about 8:30, maybe 9:30.

This is where things just start to not make sense to me. The Magic Kingdom. The most popular theme park in the entire world. The "heart" of Disney World.

Why is this the one park that they always mess around with the hours on? Close MGM earlier and leave the Magic Kingdom open late every night. It's the most popular, shouldn't it be open the longest for the guests?

Even in the slowest seasons, the MK is open until 10 or 11 at least 2 times per week, at which time Spectro is shown.....Wishes takes place almost every night, unless the park is closing at 6pm.

Keep in mind, the MK hosts such events as Mickey's not so Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, The Night of Joy, Grad Night...., all of which require an extra ticket, and unless the MK was to close early, these events could not take place.

Epcot closes Future World at 7pm, and opens WS at 11am, plus, Epcot offers an "after 4pm" pass, as many locals eat dinner in the WS at night.

MGM's hours vary about as much as the MK, and DAK closes at 5 or 6 almost every day of the year, even in the summer.....the park is typically empty after the parade anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom