My Disneyland Vlogs

Phroobar

tenor.gif

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yeah, so no vlogs since I went to Titanic ever occurred. I'm thinking of covering WDW The Magic Kingdom's version of The Haunted Mansion. It only seems fair. I believe I may have claimed in this video series that I would be going there after the Disneyland version was turned into the bright neon junkyard of cartoon crap? Truth be told, I really miss those charming ghouls and their automatic door knockers. We'll just have to go to the hallowed halls of The Magic Kingdom's second version of The Haunted Mansion. Does anyone want to see this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for content? As we know, my videos are usually just me going in and out of HM and drinking Diet Coke in the Fastpass area under a tree. Accurate, though.
Yeah...I'm gonna need you to vlog around Epcot if you can...thanks!

180º

I would love to see you cover some WDW content in a vlog and I don't care what it is, as long as it's Charming™.

smile

couldn't fathom back then, but i now understand taking a break from vlogging for a bit was the perfect way for you to regain creative control after having flirted with commercial stardom - it disrupted the groundswell.

if you must, shun the fame...
but don't lose sight that your efforts are not only appreciated, they're also anticipated.

:geek:

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Day 1 slumming it at The Magic Kingdom, the watered down touristy version of Disneyland. One major advantage it has over the original is a Haunted Mansion that is never turned into a neon junkyard of cartoon crap. That being said, neat as it is, this Gus Van Sant shot-for-shot remake with a different house pales in comparison to the original. I guess the best way I can describe it is like this. I love the chintzyness of Disneyland's. Its sort of cheapness/thrown-togetherness? So charming. WDW's is not entirely uncharming, but it seems like the Imagineers are ashamed of the chintzyness and have tried to erase it from history in this version. As a result, it's significantly less charming. The tombstones in the graveyard barely wobble. There is a sort of almost deadly earnestness compared to the original. You go from tulip lilypad lamp to just some random lamp on a table. It's so weird.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
What was your ride count for that day?

I didn't keep track.

Some quick thoughts:

- Despite everything being built bigger at WDW (the sidewalks on Main Street are like quadruple wide), the guys putting the HM together didn't get the memo. It's the only part of the entire resort that is built to Disneyland scale or smaller. We can understand awkward lineup situations with cast members directing people to fill in all the dead space at DL. In WDW where they have a gigantic tropical rainforest to build whatever they want, why is the HM built like a DL attraction? Even the little Wayne Manor house is tiny.

- I don't really like the elongating rooms in this version. Disneyland's are longer and the scene is way more impressive. Here, the stretching seems to stop prematurely. While DL's tends to make real creaking sounds as the lifts descend, here, they pipe in creaking sound effects. They also barely show the skeleton hanging in this version. The WDW people typically have no idea that they have to walk into the next room when the door opens and the cast members constantly left the door open while the room was stretching. Not good!

- The next area is a real doozy. It's pretty much the same as it's always been. It's built to Disneyland scale or smaller with a very narrow line where the wood paneling is scuffed the entire length because people can barely fit in there. It was built too narrow in the 70s, in 2017 it's laughable. Again, you have a million acres of tropical rainforest to build this theme park in. Why the heck was the HM built cramped and awkward? DL's is designed so much better with the changing portrait hallway and the blue/grey misty loading area around the corner.

- The mega charming crudely animated shadow of the ghost playing the piano toward the start of the ride is the only unique element that lives up to the chintzy charm of DL's HM. The other additional scenes at the beginning which now include a miniature ride-through version of DL's changing portrait hallway (which doesn't work at all here) and the moving stairs from Hogwarts (which can't even be found in the HP attraction at Universal!) are pointless. I also don't like how the little Ghostess is a part of the ride at the end. DL's setup is superior with the walk-through portions bookending the ride. The crypt that is nearly impossible to see while exiting DL's version isn't replicated at all here. So many charming details are lost in this version.

- The ghosts swooping in through the ballroom windows in the DL HM slowly move in a circle in the opposite direction in this version. It looks like it's malfunctioning, but it's the way it's always been, I guess. Pretty lame, actually.

- When the rap on a table responds in this version, it's extremely loud. It sounds like an unrelated incident occurring backstage, like a ladder falling over.

- This version of the clock has eyes on the tail, @mickEblu .

Are you hinting that you're going to ride E.T. over and over too? That ride needs to be properly documented before it's inevitable demise

It's too dark for me to record. SoCal Attractions 360 did a pretty great low light video, but they need to linger in the waiting line and record all the details. E.T. is so annoying to do over and over again because you have to watch the intro with Steven Spielberg and wait in the checkout line to give your name before you even get to the woods.

Last edited:

No Name

I'm surprised you don't despise the two most recent changes more, the "interactive queue" and the new hitchhiking ghosts.

Did you play the instrument walls and stone piano and all that stuff? Also, did you have a Magic Band, so that the hitchhiking ghosts could replace you with a gravestone that says "Justin"? If you ask the average central Floridian what they hate most about the Haunted Mansion, if they don't look at you confused, they'll probably answer those two things. But I wonder how low those rank on the Charming scale.

Phroobar

Do the walls still creak and moan in the stretching room? What about the ghost children giggling as you leave the stretching room?

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Yeah, they still have those sound effects. I'm not a fan. I also don't like the interactive line or the animated screens of the ghosts at the end.

To be honest with you, I had more fun at Universal Orlando than Disney. The charmometer explodes on the E.T. ride.

An accidental flash photo shows the point at which you enter the forest and are greeted by two spacemen, one of which is wielding a metal detector used to find coins at the beach, presumably in their search for E.T.

nasa.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom