MVMCP...opinion please?

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
We have never been to WDW during the Christmas season, as we always travel there in the Fall. We are going for the first time this year, during the first week in December. I'm very undecided about getting tickets for MVMCP. Would love to experience this, as it would be a first for us, but having a difficult time justifying the cost. I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those have actually attended previously. What did you like the most and what did you like the least? We are a family of 2 adults & 2 teens. I know we would absolutely love the lights & decorations, I think we would watch the parade, but I know we aren't really into singing/dancing shows. Bottom line...do you think it's really worth the money if we already have 5 day hopper passes to the parks?

stevehousse

The parties can be very fun! We did our first party last Nov and loved it! I would say that if u like meeting all the characters, that's probably the biggest thing to go for! The parade and fireworks are great! If u go, u must watch the parade from Main St as it "snows" on and off during the parade! Free cookies and hot cocoa r good too.

If justifying the price is difficult for you, you need to know that with a party ticket you can get into the parks at 4pm the earliest!

We did this last year and scheduled FP selections from 4-7 before the party started! Lots of rides have little to no wait as well if you want to get a fee in during the party! I was able to ride splash multiple times without getting out of my log!

CaptainShortty

If you've never been to the party than I always think it's worth the money to try something different. Personally I like the Halloween party better but am still a big fan of the Christmas Party. The decorations and parade are really beautiful and I just love the atmosphere of the whole thing. Additionally, the perimeter fireworks are beautiful.

If you love the rides, there are minimal waits for everything and I love taking pictures with the characters all done up in their scarves. You get free cookies and hot chocolate but for me, it's not as good as Halloween because you can only eat so many.

Overall though I'd definitely give it a try if you've never done them before. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Donfan

The first week of December is my favorite time to be at WDW. The crowds are light and all the Christmas decorations are up. MVMCP is a great party and the parade is really fun. With any luck, you will actually get snowed on while watching it. You can get on any of the rides with little to no wait, and the CMs will occasionally let you ride through more that once without getting out of the cars. Lots of fun. Enjoy yourselves.

copcarguyp71

I am a big fat cheapskate and cannot reckon in my head the fact that I pay full price to get into the parks only to be asked to leave early OR pay extra to stay. Candy and hot chocolate is not free (as many would argue) if i have to pay that much more to stay in! If they offered a reduced entry fee to those who already paid for a day pass then I would probably be more agreeable but as long as I have to pay full price already then no way. Yes...I understand you get a "special" parade but honestly we avoid prades in lieu of shorter ride lines during them.

Extra doe rae mi just does not compute to me for this. But...just my opinion, I know there are many who feel quite differently but since you asked folks to weigh in then there ya go;)

We went to 2 parties when we were last there & loved them both, they were the highlights of our trip.
We're heading back this November & have booked to attend 2 again.
The shows, parades & fire works are worth the admission on their own.

Glasgow

Gotta do it once. We had a great time, it was actually cold as well that night which made the snow effect on Main Street really good and the hot chocolate extra delicious. I don't know if we'll do it again but I'm glad we tried it. Well worth the extra money for us.

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
I am a big fat cheapskate and cannot reckon in my head the fact that I pay full price to get into the parks only to be asked to leave early OR pay extra to stay.

See...this is exactly my reasoning. I agree with this statement 100%, which is why I was struggling with the decision.

I have decided to let my cheapskate tendencies slide just this one time, and I went ahead and ordered tickets for Dec. 2nd. I'm pretty sure this will be the one and only time we will visit during this time of the year, so I think I'd probably regret it in the long run if I didn't at least give it a try.

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It really helped me to make my decision.

Last edited:

DisneyGirl3820

I agree with all the others that said that it's something you need to do at least once. However, I remember we were leaving the park after the party and my husband, kids and I all looked at each other and agreed it was nice but wasn't as good as MNSSHP. The parade is fantastic and the cocoa and cookies are an extra bonus. Definitely worth trying but if the cost is a concern than just go to the Osbourne Lights and enjoy some of the holiday events in the other parks like Epcot.

Launchpad79

We went the second week of December last year. Our first trip to the parks was a MVMCP and we absolutely loved it. They started letting party goers in at about 3:45, met the princesses, rode quite a few rides without much of a line and then waited for the parade. People can get a little pushy for the first parade and you have to stake out your spot about an hour or 2 (like any other parade at the Magic Kingdom), but it's worth it. The best thing about it were the shows and the atmosphere, not to mention that we walked right on to space mountain, the haunted mansion and pirates. Can't really say there was a negative about the whole night at all.

danpam1024

There's nothing like the MVMC Parade!- It is expensive though, once was enough for us. We actually prefer Epcot at Christmastime- it's so festive. And DHS Osborne Lights!! Plenty to do to get you in the Holiday spirit without an extra ticket :)

Magenta Panther

Well, what I like the least are the crowd sizes and finding a good place to see the parade.

But I love everything else. The Castle shows, the parade, the snow on Main Street, the free cocoa and cookies...it's the best. I like the Christmas party even better than the Halloween party. Totally worth the extra expense.

thomas998

We've gone to every hard ticket party that I think they have had in recent times including the now defunct Pirates and Princesses Party... And the only one I felt wasn't worth it was the MVMCP. The hot chocolate wasn't that good, the cookies were the same ones I could have bought at a Sam's, the snow was very tiny clumps of bubbles, and the parade was just so so... If you are really into the special costumed meet and greets then you have that going for you... But honestly if I could have gotten my money back and undone the entire night I would have. If you are on the fence then don't do it you aren't missing that much.

Dafid Duck

If justifying the price is difficult for you, you need to know that with a party ticket you can get into the parks at 4pm the earliest!

It is definitely NOT worth it if you pay the regular park admission, spend the day there and then pay more to stay there at night for the party. BUT I never thought of arriving at the MK at 4pm and only pay the party admission. You could have a DTD day or go resort hopping and see all decorations the resorts have to offer.
We went in 2007 to both the park and then the party. We did like parade, dance party and special merchandise only offered during the party. After the last party night, we realized the MVMCP parade became the regular park parade and whatever special merchandise that was not sold became available. This year the last party night is the 19th, I would just wait and enjoy the festivities afterwards.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We went the week after Thanksgiving into the first week of December. Below are some of the things that can be considered positives or negatives.
Positives: Low crowds, nice temperatures (I'm coming from the Midwest), unique character experiences, parade, fireworks, rides can be walk ons so if you are using this as a legitimate park visit not just the party you can get some significant rides in especially during fireworks and parades, unique pins, shirts, collectibles, great resort decorations.
Negatives: It is an extra hard ticket event which means more money, they can oversell the party (we didn't think it was very crowded or oversold during our time), not all attractions are open.

All that being said, we would go back and will. We haven't done MNSSHP yet, so that is next on the list. The snow, music, and atmosphere really puts you in the holiday spirit and I think is romantic. The Gingerbread House at GF, Wilderness Lodge all decked out in holiday decor, etc.. We really enjoy it.

Last edited:

JillC LI

Our first holiday-time visit in early December 2012 was shorter than yours, and although we previously enjoyed MNSSHP, we opted against MVMCP. I will say that we did book a dinner at Cali Grill timed to watch the Christmas Party fireworks one night. And having seen the unbelievable Osborne Lights as well as many other Park and resort holiday decorations, I cannot say that I regret missing MVMCP. But take that opinion as one who has never been there and doesn't know exactly what I missed out on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom