Must Re-Do Disney

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Might have to pass on this one due to work obligations.

But for the sake of curiosity, how in-depth will the challenges be?
Completely understand, space. Good question, too. I'm not going to have something completely in-depth to every tiny detail, like track layout. I'm really going to be looking for details on what the ride is about and the queue decor. Not every ride has to have a backstory, it could even be a complete movie copy.

Driver

Thanks for asking. The object of the competition is to have fun. Plus, at the end, if we lengthen it, I have a big project planned.
I get it's for fun..... what I'm asking is this some kind of game or challenge? is it limited to a specific group of friends? How does one play or participate? I see your establishing teams. But the Re-do Disney????? I don't understand what your doing

DisneyForever

Original Poster
I would also like to participate if possible, however, I have one question the teams are for the theme park we would be working on?
No, the team names are just park names. The rides we’ll be re-doing are going to be from most all Disney Parks.

I get it's for fun..... what I'm asking is this some kind of game or challenge? is it limited to a specific group of friends? How does one play or participate? I see your establishing teams. But the Re-do Disney????? I don't understand what your doing
Anyone can join the competition. There is no elimination (this season) and all you have to do is say “Sure, I’ll do it” and you can play. Re-Do Disney is for re-doing, reconstructing, rebuilding Disney rides. It’s a bit hard to explain.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
How does the scoring work? And is there eliminations? How long do we have to do each prompt?

And team Magic Kingdom please! Gotta go for the park I worked in! (Though AK is my favorite still lol)
The scoring goes by points. By the end, the highest a team can get is 100. Every week a team can win up to 10 points, and if nobody hits 10 points, then the highest team leads. I’ll post a score post here. I’ll give the teams a new prompt on Sundays, and they’ll have until Fridays.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Here’s a post I didn’t post earlier.

2 points - Completing/Participating
3 points - Creativity
3 points - Decorated Queue
2 points - Smooth Transitions

Sunday - Get Prompt
Monday - Work Day
Tuesday - Work Day
Wednesday - Work Day/Optional Extra Credit
Thursday - Work Day
Friday - Final Project Due/ Optional Extra Credit Due
Saturday - Judging

The points and schedule. I’ll post more details later today.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Extra Credit

Optional Extra Credit will be given every Wednesday on the website. This could be anywhere from adding a gift shop to your ride or leaving a piece of the original ride into your ride (ex. If the re-do is Haunted Mansion, optional extra credit could be to keep a ghost or the crystal ball in your new ride). You'll have 2 days to complete the extra credit, Wednesday-Friday. The only time there won't be extra credit is the 5th and 10th week, as those are big re-dos. I hope to see you all Sunday, November 5 for Week One!

DisneyForever

Original Poster
I forgot to mention that the people who requested teams, you may not get the team you requested, just for numbers sake. Sorry.

kmbmw777

MK (mickeyfan5534, Magic Feather)

EP (AceAstro, TwilightZone, Pionmycake)

HWS (Disneylover152)

AK (kmbmw777, D Hindley, David2319)

Unplaced (DisneyFan18, Driver)

By my calculations, these are the current teams.

Driver

HWS (Disneylover152)

I don't expect I will participate.... I am still not clear on exactly what this is about and no one seems to want to explain it. All I get is quick answers "it's for fun" etc. that doesn't tell me what is expected of me. The fact that so many are jumping in leads me to believe that they have some [ inside] knowledge of this. Re-do seems like you will be redesigning attractions for fun ( from what I gathered). I was a designer for many years using Autocad software and I'm sure what your doing is not at that level. So for now I will stand on the side and monitor what takes place so I can get a better understanding of what you are doing. And in the future if it looks appealing to me I may participate. Thx anyway. Enjoy!

DisneyForever

Original Poster

HWS (Disneylover152)

With those, it looks like DisneyFan18 should be with HWS, and Driver isn't participating. We have 10, I'd like to have 12, so every team has 3 people. If not, it'll still be fine.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
I don't expect I will participate.... I am still not clear on exactly what this is about and no one seems to want to explain it. All I get is quick answers "it's for fun" etc. that doesn't tell me what is expected of me. The fact that so many are jumping in leads me to believe that they have some [ inside] knowledge of this. Re-do seems like you will be redesigning attractions for fun ( from what I gathered). I was a designer for many years using Autocad software and I'm sure what your doing is not at that level. So for now I will stand on the side and monitor what takes place so I can get a better understanding of what you are doing. And in the future if it looks appealing to me I may participate. Thx anyway. Enjoy!
Sure! Would you like me to add you to the team conversations or would you rather just watch the posts and judging here?

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm not jumping in right away because I'm unclear on how much time this will take up - however I've played in these armchair competitions for many years on this forum, which is why people are signing up despite seemingly little information. They've done these before.

While I have not seen Autocad Software used before - but these armchair competitions have brought about the use of Adobe Illustrator, In-Design, Blender, Sketch-Up, among various other graphics software utilities to implement renderings of attraction layouts, facades, queue designs, and more. That along with hand-drawn blueprints, concept art, video editing, etc.

In the past we've also created threads such as these to summarize/teach each other the 'how to' behind the designs.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-imagineers-workshop.888709/
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/raiders-of-the-lost-art.911382/page-14

Having been a designer for many years, you'd probably really enjoy these imagineering comps. We've had other designers play in competitions before like @Jsly

The only thing that is holding me back a bit, and @DisneyForever this is not a knock, but more of constructive feedback, is that there really is no information here for new or old players other than simply re-doing rides. I'd take a look back at old comps that laid out in detail in the opening post many of the elements of the competition so that people were aware of what they were jumping into.

A - what is the purpose, structure, format, and goals of the competition. More detail on these would be good.
B - what exactly are the requirements (ie - what is expected of the contestants? Is there a prior competition you can link to in order to get an idea of what is expected? Are detailed projects encouraged or not necessary to win? If not necessary to win, then is there a limit on the length of each project?)
C - if non-elimination, what is the incentive to not just bail halfway through?
D - will they be new challenges that have not been used before in prior competitions, or will we be redoing Stitch for like the 900th time :p
E - What's your judging style? What are you looking for out of this competition? (ie - encouraging thinking outside the box?, going above and beyond in the designs? or minimal time necessary and just the basics/outline of a concept?)

I'm asking not to be overly dramatic but mainly because I know I dive head first into these comps and when you do that - it takes a lot of time to design the projects. But something like the One Sentence Comp or smaller scale versions, it doesn't take as much time, but I'm not going to worry about sketching out a bunch of images.

Some clarity on those I think would open this up to new members as well:)

DisneyForever

Original Poster
I'm not jumping in right away because I'm unclear on how much time this will take up - however I've played in these armchair competitions for many years on this forum, which is why people are signing up despite seemingly little information. They've done these before.

While I have not seen Autocad Software used before - but these armchair competitions have brought about the use of Adobe Illustrator, In-Design, Blender, Sketch-Up, among various other graphics software utilities to implement renderings of attraction layouts, facades, queue designs, and more. That along with hand-drawn blueprints, concept art, video editing, etc.

In the past we've also created threads such as these to summarize/teach each other the 'how to' behind the designs.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-imagineers-workshop.888709/
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/raiders-of-the-lost-art.911382/page-14

Having been a designer for many years, you'd probably really enjoy these imagineering comps. We've had other designers play in competitions before like @Jsly

The only thing that is holding me back a bit, and @DisneyForever this is not a knock, but more of constructive feedback, is that there really is no information here for new or old players other than simply re-doing rides. I'd take a look back at old comps that laid out in detail in the opening post many of the elements of the competition so that people were aware of what they were jumping into.

A - what is the purpose, structure, format, and goals of the competition. More detail on these would be good.
B - what exactly are the requirements (ie - what is expected of the contestants? Is there a prior competition you can link to in order to get an idea of what is expected? Are detailed projects encouraged or not necessary to win? If not necessary to win, then is there a limit on the length of each project?)
C - if non-elimination, what is the incentive to not just bail halfway through?
D - will they be new challenges that have not been used before in prior competitions, or will we be redoing Stitch for like the 900th time :p
E - What's your judging style? What are you looking for out of this competition? (ie - encouraging thinking outside the box?, going above and beyond in the designs? or minimal time necessary and just the basics/outline of a concept?)

I'm asking not to be overly dramatic but mainly because I know I dive head first into these comps and when you do that - it takes a lot of time to design the projects. But something like the One Sentence Comp or smaller scale versions, it doesn't take as much time, but I'm not going to worry about sketching out a bunch of images.

Some clarity on those I think would open this up to new members as well:)
It's going to be like the Great Movie Ride Competition.

I have a few ideas, like elimination. If I do decide to do eliminations, this may make the competition longer. So far, my allotted time to do this is from November 5-January 20, excluding New Year's week.

There's going to be new rides that haven't really been seen in refurbishment competitions, like Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Haunted Mansion etc. Ones who rack up the most points will get the feeling of winning :p.

I'm looking for detailed designs. A post that will make me feel that I am actually aboard this new attraction. The post's doesn't need to be terribly detailed, but they need to immerse me.

The goal of this competition is to make Walt Disney World and other Disney Parks feel like they've completely transformed into something new. That sounds like a lot of work to do in order to have change, and that's why I said in the first post, longer if wanted.

I can link the Great Movie Ride Competition to get an idea of how this competition will be structured, how it'll look. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-great-movie-ride-projects-announcements.924471/

It's sort of like that, but without movies. It's hard for me to explain but I'm trying my best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom