Murphy the Dragon COLLAPSED!

kap91

I'm confused. It doesn't look like it collapsed. It looks like a normal performance with a still of the dragon leaning forward cut in. Did it really happen or is this just an attempt at humor?

cdunbar

I'm confused. It doesn't look like it collapsed. It looks like a normal performance with a still of the dragon leaning forward cut in. Did it really happen or is this just an attempt at humor?
It did happen but that video obviously doesn't show that. Rumor is the axel in his neck broke and he'll be back around christmas...

Disneyfanman

It did happen but that video obviously doesn't show that. Rumor is the axel in his neck broke and he'll be back around christmas...

Other sources have confirmed this as well. Murphy is down, not for the count, but until he can be repaired. Plan B will be operating for the weekend only shows until then.

sponono88

Yep, the dragon had a severe malfunction during Saturday night's 9PM performance. The show was cancelled as soon as the dragon slouched over the stage.. They had the mist screens going full blast to try and cover her up. Picture: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs183.ash2/44596_1598782056591_1447204425_31681661_7998684_n.jpg

Here's an editors note from Al Lutz:

Editor's Note 8/30: Murphy the Dragon suffered a rather public humiliation during the first Fantasmic! show Sat. night. The infrastructure of the sophisticated animatronic failed after a busy summer of twice-nightly performances, snapping some internal components and nearly dislodging the entire dragon from its hydraulically lifted mounts. It's too early to tell how long it will be before a fix is completed. Although the initial rumors from the Entertainment Dept of 4 to 6 months of downtime are probably over-dramatized, it's fairly safe to say that the dragon won't be in the remaining shows through Labor Day weekend. They didn't christen that dragon Murphy for nothing.

fife

As others have stated, and is common knowledge by now, yes it did happen.

Having said that, I also think you are correct that the youtube video was the OP's "attempt" at humor. The joke wasn't "Hey the dragon collapsed... just kidding!", it was "Hey I got FOOTAGE of the dragon collapsing... just kidding!". In other words, the joke assumes everyone was already aware of the news.

But as the old adage goes, "If you have to EXPLAIN a joke, then it probably wasn't funny or clever to begin with"... and the OP's video definitely wasn't. :hammer:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Other sources have confirmed this as well. Murphy is down, not for the count, but until he can be repaired.
Plan B will be operating for the weekend only shows until then.

Which consists of several strobe lights, giving the illusion of motion.:rolleyes:

Magenta Panther

DISCO MURPHY!!!! :cool:

Okay, that's kind of sad. At least the Imagineers can't be blamed, since they didn't build the thing, as I understand it.

There's nothing like outsourcing, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll bet the Disney suits took the lowest bid and didn't bother about anything else. Way to set priorities, Iger!

sponono88

Which consists of several strobe lights, giving the illusion of motion.:rolleyes:

I know you're kidding, but for those who don't know.. The show goes on without the dragon, and instead Malificent on the tower takes her place. Last year, they even added extra fire blasts to make up for the absent dragon. They were actually really cool but were only temporary and were removed once the new dragon premiered.

Here's a video of the alternate ending from 2009.

[youtube]0981nCxh-ug[/youtube]

trr1

Disneyland's Fantasmic dragon out indefinitely

Disneyland's Fantasmic dragon out indefinitely

Sep 1, 2010

Disneyland is dealing with more problems with Fantasmic's fire-breathing dragon, Maleficent. When Fantasmic reopened in June of 2009, it had to do so without the dragon until September due to mechanical problems. A "technical problem" causing the dragon to collapse during Saturday's show rendered the dragon useless once again. Disney spokeswoman Betsy Sanchez said, "The dragon in Fantasmic experienced a technical issue last Saturday night. We are working to fix the problem. At this time we are not able to determine when the dragon will appear in the show; however, it will continue to run at its scheduled times."

sweetpee_1993

What gets me is that video is going along just fine and then --WHAM-- you're looking at a still picture. Why is the video cut like that? I did some other searches and zero footage of the actual collapse. At a busy summertime performance there would've been dozens of people videoing the thing. So why no footage? Do the Disney Gods ding folks for posting that sort of thing?

sponono88

The video is not actual footage from the night the dragon malfunctioned, it is a pardoy video made by the OP. No video of that night's performance has popped up yet, not sure why..

sweetpee_1993

The video is not actual footage from the night the dragon malfunctioned, it is a pardoy video made by the OP. No video of that night's performance has popped up yet, not sure why..

Yeah. You'd think someone would've posted it by now. Or maybe the rest of the world doesn't think like we do and get all giddy if we capture something outside the norm. :lol:

sponono88

Thanks for posting the video! What a night that must have been for the F! tech crew. It fell pretty fast, considering it's an 18,000 pound AA, it could have received more damage than it actually did.

Here's hoping they can get it back up and running soon.

plaz10

I think what Murphy needs is a nice dose of Orlando air!:animwink:
There is this nice amphitheater in DHS where he will feel right at home! They'll take good care of him! :lol:

trr1

I think what Murphy needs is a nice dose of Orlando air!:animwink:
There is this nice amphitheater in DHS where he will feel right at home! They'll take good care of him! :lol:
maybe Murphy and the yeti can go on a disney cruise

sponono88

The dragon is back! After the incident last August, she's been fixed and is now back in the show. No visible damage was visible, performed without a hitch :) Nothing like seeing those glowing red eyes appear from the darkness!

[youtube]RMFZpgV2aiI[/youtube]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom