MuppetVision closed until August 2nd for unexpected Maintenance

FoozieBear

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I hope we're wrong but I agree; I think screen based attractions are going to be the new norm.

This is the cheap and easy method for the park, so they can easily and cheaply swap out the film in each attraction (see: Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout). Sadly, I think Disney is leaning towards this same future as Universal has been doing for some time. Motion-simulator attractions like Star Tours are great, but not so much if they're the new norm of theme park attractions.

MrHappy

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I hope we're wrong but I agree; I think screen based attractions are going to be the new norm.
*as they build Slinky coaster and begin Tron and GOTG coasters*
While screen-based rides are becoming more prevalent, I would imagine the plan is to keep up a mix of different type of attractions: screens, coasters, trackless, boat, dark, outdoor, show/theatrical and yeti.

DisneyPrincess5

I fear that the days of AA heavy dark rides are gone.
Agreed, sadly.
This was why I was so happy about the Little Mermaid ride as well as FEA (Not the location...dont get me started...) because it gave me hope that AAs are still relatively "in". Fingers crossed that they don't fade away completely from future attractions.

Jeremy P

While screen-based rides are becoming more prevalent, I would imagine the plan is to keep up a mix of different type of attractions: screens, coasters, trackless, boat, dark, outdoor, show/theatrical and yeti.

The point being made was that they are doing away with animatronic based attractions... While those three coasters may not be screen based (although we know nothing really about GotG), they are still not animatronic based.

I think we'll see a mix but I believe the "story" type rides will become heavily screened. I mean, RJ has one (very impressive) animatronic and the rest is screen based. I'm not comparing Disney to Universal or saying they're being cheap or anything else. Sadly, it's just the way things are. Animatronics are expensive to maintain and often malfunction while they still have limits. Screens, on the other hand, allow for a full range of motion from objects or characters and don't require the constant expensive upkeep.

PizzaPlanet

I know I'm late to the show, but people who didn't like the most recent TV show are ridiculous. I mean you had Swedish Chef doing Rapper's Delight, Animal and Dave Grohl doing a drum off, Kermit saying, "What can I say, I'm into pigs.", and so on. It was great. I loved it for what it was. My only beef? Needed more heckling from Statler and Waldorf!
It had some funny moments, but much of the humor came across as awkward and not funny. It's like the show was being written by the same people who do every other mediocre ABC comedy and have no understanding of the characters. Believe it or not, the best parts of the show weren't when the Muppets were trying to be hip and "adult," but when they acted like themselves. Go figure.

tissandtully

Or another pipe dream but since you have no work for them otherwise, how about an actual live "Muppet Show" where you get to see the actual puppeteers! How amazing would that be! Like when I heard the Electric Mayhem was doing a live show in San Francisco, I thought how cool would it be to see that!
I mean that's almost the Great Moments in Muppet History at MK.

rob0519

Muppets 3D is a must see for our family each trip. I have to say that it's about time to remake the show with an updated film. I know first time visitors or first and only time visitors don't know the difference, but for repeat customers a change would be good.

Muppets 3D is a must see for our family each trip. I have to say that it's about time to remake the show with an updated film. I know first time visitors or first and only time visitors don't know the difference, but for repeat customers a change would be good.

If they ever update or (heaven forbid) remove Muppet-Vision, I'd love for them to release it on DVD. It'd be a shame to lose the last thing Jim Henson worked on (I think), and it's one of my family's must-do attractions also. Plus, I mean....There are 3-D TVs now, right?

rob0519

If they ever update or (heaven forbid) remove Muppet-Vision, I'd love for them to release it on DVD. It'd be a shame to lose the last thing Jim Henson worked on (I think), and it's one of my family's must-do attractions also. Plus, I mean....There are 3-D TVs now, right?

The 3D TV experiment may be over. Sony announced there will be no 3D models for 2017. It appears people never warmed up to the idea of wearing additional eyewear in their homes to watch a movie.

The 3D TV experiment may be over. Sony announced there will be no 3D models for 2017. It appears people never warmed up to the idea of wearing additional eyewear in their homes to watch a movie.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. I more threw that in there to justify the (rather unlikely) idea of a Muppet-Vision home release :hilarious:

FoozieBear

What @Jeremy P was referring to was the end of dark-ride AA attractions. Obviously, Slinky Coaster isn't screen-based (though it is far below the Disney-standard, and appears more like a Six Flags-style attraction) but as far as dark-rides used to go, it's probably going to be largely screen-based, taking from example like Guardians of the Galaxy, which replaced AAs with screens, and the upcoming Mickey ride which will replace GMR's AA's for a screen based attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom