Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

NeedMoreMickey

I wish they would change it, seems like a lot of down time every four years. Maybe have side stages where some of the presidents can be placed on not need to move them around to fit in the new president. Hasn’t happened in a while but it is possible that a sitting president doesn’t stay in office all four years

TrainsOfDisney

Well, it's not a recent thing -- they performed only while TT was being renovated to its current version.
You underestimate how unhealthily obsessed with theme park atmosphere entertainment I am! :p

I was definitely at Epcot dozens of times when they were performing and didn’t know they ever existed. That bothers me a lot! Haha

I even remember Dr. Tony and Male Nurse Danny at wonders of life!!!!

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

I wish they would change it, seems like a lot of down time every four years. Maybe have side stages where some of the presidents can be placed on not need to move them around to fit in the new president. Hasn’t happened in a while but it is possible that a sitting president doesn’t stay in office all four years
The obtaining of a narration form the president in office seems to be the central issue. Ok people the president is a busy person and I am sure doing a narration for Disney is not high on the to do list. A quality narrator / narrators could take care of the presentations w the president in office smiling and waiving at the crowd will do. Ok, Ok does not necessarily have to be smiling but at least waive at the crowd.

TikibirdLand

You underestimate how unhealthily obsessed with theme park atmosphere entertainment I am! :p

I was definitely at Epcot dozens of times when they were performing and didn’t know they ever existed. That bothers me a lot! Haha

Never trust a Doctor that goes by his first name. Dr. Phil, Dr. Laura....

DoleWhipDrea

The obtaining of a narration form the president in office seems to be the central issue. Ok people the president is a busy person and I am sure doing a narration for Disney is not high on the to do list. A quality narrator / narrators could take care of the presentations w the president in office smiling and waiving at the crowd will do. Ok, Ok does not necessarily have to be smiling but at least waive at the crowd.
Reportedly the last one and WDI had trouble getting the recording in a timely manner due to him wanting to claim that he invented skyscrapers...

Didn't a past poster in this thread say that generally the attraction would re-open around 4th of July after a change between presidents?

Kevin_W

We saw them once at Epcot and it was not particularly good, so I'd say you didn't miss much!

(On the Muppet topic, I'm sad that I never got to see the Muppet's mobile lab in Epcot, in spite of seeking it out).

EricsBiscuit

So on a recent podcast, we did our fantasy buildouts for MK through 2035...

So I went into greater detail on my podcast, but the issue I have with this area is that the original conceit of Liberty Square and Frontierland are incredibly difficult to expand upon without diluting the theme. As I said above the land is setup linearly both in time and geographic location. That conceit needs to go away to allow for modifications.

My suggestions for the area are as follows:

• Eliminate the Liberty Square name
  • Kick the presidents out (my recommendation was a full fledged Great Moments in American History w/the Muppets, but I'd listen to other options)
  • Permanently dock the Riverboat near Splash/Tiana's Mountain and use it as a live music venue
  • Fill in part of the Rivers of America and/or build bridges to Tom Sawyer Island. This would allow for a more direct walking path between Big Thunder and The Haunted Mansion
  • While I wouldn't oppose eliminating Tom Sawyer Island entirely, I would keep the front island (closest to the main land) as an accessible by bridge option.
  • Frontierland would consist of Big Thunder, the front Tom Sawyer Island and whatever you want to put on the back Tom Sawyer Island (Western River Expedition? Restaurant?)
  • The horseshoe that extends from Haunted Mansion to Splash Mountain would become a new land that I'm calling Riverfront Square. Fans of Disney history will recognize the name from the proposed St. Louis Missouri park. I would lean into Americana / Mississippi River for theming and overhaul the four restaurants along that stretch to represent different types of American faire. Pecos Bill would become Tiana's, you can have BBQ, Seafood, Pizza, Comfort Food, whatever you want in the other restaurants. I also wouldn't oppose a new Pecos Bill on what is now Tom Sawyer Island.

I agree with everything you said. We made a rule that I couldn't move it's a small world (it's my go to solution for a lot of MK's problems) but we could eliminate the Speedway if we wanted to. I don't mind Speedway attractions, but historically they're an inefficient use of space. I'd welcome the Speedway if the land had layers of things on top of it (kind of like Disneyland, but even more efficient).

My suggestion was actually to double up on the Speedway. Re-design two intersecting tracks, one loading from the Tron side, one loading from the existing Speedway side. The Tron Side would carry the Tron aesthetic, and the opposite side would carry a Wreck it Ralph aesthetic. Both attractions enter through arcades (Flynn's and Litwacks) and have a short indoor portion. In that indoor portion, Flynn hacks the Tron vehicles, and the Sugar Rush vehicles "glitch". They join each other outside in a muddled intersecting "Theme" that could include an extended light canopy, elevation changes, etc.
There is plenty of space to expand MK without ruining the western half of the park, as this plan would do. Disneyland has managed to expand past RoA without docking their fleet. So can MK. Any plan that does not recognized the blessing of size WDW has is bad. The RoA should be off limits. Renaming Liberty Square would be awful. You are artificially limiting yourself and as a result you’re gutting the park and replacing it with mediocre stuff. Why not upgrade what is already there and expand to the ample expansion pads? It’s common sense.

Unplugged

Already had presidents who didn't make it all 4 years. William Henry Harrison died after 31 days and another (I had to look up) was James Garfield who died after 199 days. That aside, I get what you're saying. I love the quality of HoP, but based on the current way people uptake information and are entertained, I hate to see it go/change, but it does need to change. Curious if they'll address your reference to moving the presidents around into account.

MaryJaneP

Maybe they could combine locations. Maybe make a special room in IASW dedicated solely to the POTUSes. Or maybe magic carpet the dear leaders around a stylized globe with a nod to You Can Fly.

Touchdown

From 1840-1960 no President elected in a year divisible by 20 completed their term in office. It’s know as the “curse of Tippiecanoe” and supposedly Nancy Regan did a lot of interesting ceremonies to make sure that gate did not befall her husband (he was still shot but survived.) GWB survived his term so the curse is considered lifted.

TrainsOfDisney

I love the quality of HoP, but based on the current way people uptake information and are entertained, I hate to see it go/change, but it does need to change.
I don’t follow this. I visit the attraction regularly and there is always a large group waiting to attend the next show and the show gets lots of applause. The guest reaction seems to be very high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom