Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

yensidtlaw1969

Huh. What time period were these being looked at? For a 90's HM room this looks cute. For a modern HM room...well, it would look nice in the 90s.
This image was being bandied about 10 years ago as a proposal.

I tend to not take it too literally - I like to assume the fixtures in the rendering were a stand-in for what would have actually been ones cast from the ride molds and such. Disney certainly makes a small fortune selling replicas of these things in the parks - good luck getting your hands on the new Stretching Room Gargoyles at Memento Mori before they sell out for the day.

But then, perhaps I'm being too generous. Maybe this was what they were planning to build as seen, giving to an impulse to soften it for children who might otherwise be spooked by a room that was too accurate to the Mansion.

I tend to assume that's at least partly why it never came to pass.

yensidtlaw1969

It's an odd choice to design the beds to look like doom buggies instead of just making it look more like furniture that could be in the mansion. What a weird piece of concept art!
Indeed - a quick Google search turns up some beautiful things fans have put together on their own. I'd gladly stay at any of these places before staying Disney's concept room:

1610825945153.png

1610825962081.png

1610825992297.png

mgf

I guess I have two comments:

1) I would say the Muppets are widely beloved but widely not popular.

2) I think folks are generally underestimating the high likelihood that this attraction has always had controversy. This is not meant to devolve into a political discussion -- just think back through history. I think folks are also generally underestimating how polite and/or quiet previous generations were in expressing their feelings toward particular animatronic presidents.

TeriofTerror

Oh I agree - they should keep adding them for as long as they can - was just joking that eventually they'll have to do something about that. But by then maybe they'll have the animatronic presidents walking out and interacting with people and signing autograph books!
Heck, no. Audio-animatronics are expensive, and Disney wouldn't want people attacking them with zip ties and sledgehammers.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Ah the kids! Naturally.

I never see much Merch for it either in stores or being worn so I wasn’t sure if it was even a thing. I
I reckon Disney just thinks the general Mickey Mouse merch will sell fine since his style is so universal.

EDIT: I work with children for a living. The kids definitely watch it. But it's not, say, a raving franchise. The new Mickey shorts are to kids what Rick & Morty is to young adults. Something to play in the background while we eat, paying attention during some episodes while vibing during the others.

TwilightZone

This got a big question mark outta me, even as someone who wouldn't mind seeing HOP "glow away forever" (American Adventure does the job better). While I don't believe in the rumor (2 days and nothing), this would be a very awful idea. If you're gonna touch HOP, either modify it to remove the current president or replace it all together. Adding muppets doesn't fix the big issues with the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom