Multiple Resorts Switch to Shared Costumes for Certain Cast Members UPDATED

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I’m just not sure why noticing these things (and calling them out for what they are) is seen as “backlash.” At this point, it’s much more of a “here we go again” yawn than “let’s protest at the gates of the parks.”

It’s so common that it’s hardly even news that a big corporation would lower the quality of the the products that earned their customers’ loyalty just to save a buck. But, as we’ve discussed in other threads, the few companies who consistently buck that trend are the ones that seem to be doing well despite the economy and pandemic and political instability.

On topic for this thread, it’s not that the CM uniforms are changing to these ugly pajamas, its that each resort used to have distinct, on-theme uniforms that were just one of the thousand little things that help make the resorts unique and special.

The problem is, as I see it, if there used to be a thousand little things that made the resorts special, there certainly aren’t nearly so many of those things left.
I also find it interesting where some areas lose unique costumes but then Star Wars land gets a costume program with almost 100 pieces.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
UPDATE

all star sports, all star music, all star movies and Saratoga Springs have also all switched over to the blue costume.

currently only Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Port Orleans have their own specific costume left.

UNCgolf

UPDATE

all star sports, all star music, all star movies and Saratoga Springs have also all switched over to the blue costume.

currently only Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Port Orleans have their own specific costume left.

I'd be shocked if Port Orleans doesn't switch over too. That's likely just a function of the resort being closed right now.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Several resorts have now switched to a generic pool bar costume:

boardwalk, yacht & beach, POP, Art of animation, and riviera now share the same costume.

C872FA5E-8C13-4DC1-AC70-98B624AE6246.jpeg

aladdin2007

It would not surprise me (and I fear) the same will happen to World Showcase with the general flags cast outfit they are using now, I think its going to be so long yet before intl cast and that program can come back (if it does even) that Disney will find its cheaper to just do away with the national costumes all together.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
It would not surprise me (and I fear) the same will happen to World Showcase with the general flags cast outfit they are using now, I think its going to be so long yet before intl cast and that program can come back (if it does even) that Disney will find its cheaper to just do away with the national costumes all together.
I know there was a rumour about this a few years ago, but ended up not happening because part of the Q1 visa these cast work on stipulates the international cast must wear their “national costume”. Not sure what will happen when the program comes back like you said.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Several resorts have now switched to a generic pool bar costume:

boardwalk, yacht & beach, POP, Art of animation, and riviera now share the same costume.

View attachment 522955

I gotta ask: why does this matter much?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah...I know.

But the movie rides in Epcot really killed the theming seal.

Caesar has crossed the river

True. But holding on to a few shreds that are left of how they used to do things and then seeing them removed for the generic blandness that’s become one of the hallmarks of the Iger/Chapek era... I get how for some it hurts. It’s the theme park equivalent of death by a thousand cuts. Or more declining by degrees, as was coined years ago.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Another Update: Old Key West and Boardwalk QSR now sharing the same costume (with different apron) as Riviera. OKW features orange bird and BW features Dumbo on the aprons

ToTBellHop

Another Update: Old Key West and Boardwalk QSR now sharing the same costume (with different apron) as Riviera. OKW features orange bird and BW features Dumbo on the aprons
It’s almost like they don’t communicate across their business model. It would have made a helluva lot more sense, with this plan, to retheme the Keister Coaster to Dumbo, which would have worked well with the existing aesthetic. Silver-lining: they could paint a new mural this weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom