MSN Travel Tips: Avoid AK?

Dukeblue1016

I don't think it makes any sense though to look at it and say "its not worth $67 so don't do it!!!" I mean... what like 1% of the people who visit Disney say "lets buy a 1 day ticket to 1 park and only do that... ummm... which one?" Yeah... if you're doing that, avoid AK, and Epcot, maybe even MK and MGM cuz that's ludicruous... get a park hopper... get a multi day ticket... stay on vacation, get an AP... otherwise avoid the entire WDW resort because it can't be done or satisfying in ONE DAY...

horrible horrible HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE article by MSN...

Glasgow

It's KindofaZu but NotWorth67dollarz - that's the impression I'm getting lol

It's a great place to relax and take in the ambience

mrtoad

You don't GET Star Trek? :lookaroun

DAK is simply the best themed park at WDW and offers a different atmosphere than the other parks. As more attractions are added, it will continue to become more and more popular.

As others have said, DAK is better than the Studios overall. Both parks -- DAK & Studios -- need more "filling out" in the C & D ticket attractions and the Studios could use a new show.

I agree that it is getting better and I agree that it is way better than MGM but it is my 3rd favorite park. I am still an MK person at heart followed closely by Epcot. MGM has a few neat things but as a whole not enough for me to really enjoy it like the the others.

AK is on the rise and I really enjoy it everytime I go. Hopefully the growth will continue.

mrtoad

You can't compare AK to a drive through safari in NJ. Come on, im not the biggest fan of AK any means but comparing it to Great Adventure is just wrong. Plus you're paying seperately for the safari and the theme park, atleast at AK you get both.

I agree. I've been to the safari at Great Adventure in NJ and I can't see how it can even be compared. I guess if you want to say a long winding strip of asphalt running past a bunch of animals in fields, some with electrical fences is similar to AK you can also say going to your local church carnival is like going to the MK… :rolleyes:

bayoutinkbelle

I love AK and always spend at least two days there. I find it's a great park to take your time in, stroll the pathways and enjoy. Of course, Everest rocks! :D But I loved AK before Everest.

To each his own, I say. I do think those who claim AK is just a zoo are a bit shortsighted. But it's their loss ...

head mouse

I'm sorry guys, but I have to agree with the article. $67 is too much to pay for MK let alone AK. I know AK is a great park and it's still being imporved. But for that reason, the admission should be lower. I never agreed with Disney haveng the same pirce for each park. If someoen is ONLY going to ONE park, (MK EPCOT, AK, MGM) then they should all have different ticket prices.

Think about it. Would YOU compare AK to be the same as MK or MGM? I know I wouldn't. I am not saying AK has any less magic, it just not the same. In reality it is just a large zoo with a few rides.

Now please don't hate on me. This is just my oppinion.

bayoutinkbelle

Think about it. Would YOU compare AK to be the same as MK or MGM? I know I wouldn't. I am not saying AK has any less magic, it just not the same. In reality it is just a large zoo with a few rides.

I don't think you CAN compare any of the parks to each other. Why would you? For me, each park offers something different.

KrazyKowboy

To me, the park is about... beauty. Beauty in bugs. Beauty in dinosaurs (as a species, and an exinct species), beauty in helping and aiding animals, beauty in protecting animals, beauty in song, dance and architechture (sp?), beauty in foreign culture and customs, beauty of flight. It's a very pretty park. It just hasn't fully revealed itself to everyone yet.

I'm glad someone else understands AK. I think it's a world of cultural diversity and a great educational experiance.
I also think that most of WDW guests are there on vacation for an average of a week, and all the parks should be explored.
I've got a wife and 9 year old daughter that would rather be hitting the thrill rides too, but I can do all that with a $20 wrist band at the local carnival in the grocery parking lot here at home. You can spin and roller coast till you puke for almost nothing.

If I'm going to spend several grand on a week at WDW, I want to see it all !

CelticRose

this list is ridiculous regardless of your opinion of AK. not going to see the leaning tower? they basically list all major tourism spots and say not to go there cause it will cost you money and there will be a lot of people there. it reminds me of the yogi berraism "nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded". i understand that they are just trying to encourage people to go explore other things and not just do the standard tourist stuff but when youre a tourist, youre bound to do tourist stuff!

I Agree. Perhaps MSN needs to hire a writer who can see the beauty of all those places. I lived in Europe for 3 years and yes I did all the so called "tourist traps" had a great time and met wonderful people at those "tourist traps". I was at AK right after it opened and I thought it was beautiful then, now I can't wait to go back in May and discover all the new items and share it with my DD in law and DGS who have never been at all.:sohappy:

Plus I would also rather be sitting in AK right now then behind my desk at work.:cry:

261 days to go and I will be there.:wave:

tink81

UGH, we do these people think they are? Miss out on Times Square because it's not "authenitc New York" what a bunch of idiots. Skip the Changing of the Guard at B__________gham Palace? Bollocks. Pass on the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Forego Hollywood while visitng California? Who are these posers who wrote this article and how did this collection of puff end up on such a reputable website like MSN??
Their reasons for why all these experiences should be passed up are completely laughable. For passing up the Sears Tower:

"...the $11.95 price tag that'll bust your budget. And if that's not enough to keep you away, consider the saga of our friend who waited for hours in line on a January afternoon only to get a fantastic view … of the clouds. Be sure to check the weather forecast."

So if you are stupid enough to go up to the top of the Sears Tower on a cloudy day, it's the Tower's fault and therefore not worth your time? I pity anyone gullable enough to follow this ridiculous advice, including anyone who is honestly thinking of skipping AK on their next vacation because these jerks don't see it as anything more than a glorified "zoo." Whatever :rolleyes:

GoofyMom2

As many have said, each person enjoys different things. But, I think it was wrong of the article to tell people AK is a waste of time and money. Obviously most people are not paying the full $67 price for ANY park, they have multi-day tickets. Thus, this article really skews people's views if they know nothing of Disney.

I love zoos, and adore AK (I will skip MGM some trips but never AK), but I wouldn't spend $67 a person either at any zoo.

To me, AK is more than a 1 day trip....it is the best themed parkand can be relaxing, thrilling, entertaining, etc It has it all.

If you have seen Lion King on Broadway, FOTLK is a waste of time?! What nonsense. FOTLK thrills me every time.

PS Go to San Fransisco and not visit Fisherman's Wharf? Are they mad????? Yes, lots of tourist traps, but is full of such energy, sights, flavor etc.

Reporter really missed the point in this article.

GothMickey

I am here cause I like Disney and kiddie place. Not a shame that I admit it.

Are you a kiddie yourself? If you like Six Flags, then Universal is for you... If you like entertainment, fun, and an over all good time then go to Disney.... Troll....

Dukeblue1016

I'm sorry guys, but I have to agree with the article. $67 is too much to pay for MK let alone AK. I know AK is a great park and it's still being imporved. But for that reason, the admission should be lower. I never agreed with Disney haveng the same pirce for each park. If someoen is ONLY going to ONE park, (MK EPCOT, AK, MGM) then they should all have different ticket prices.

please...

I will ALWAYS respect someone's opinion... but i HATE it when people say its a zoo... it's not a zoo. To say it is, is just being ignorant. Just a zoo with a few rides?

Everest - hands down best themed ride in Disney, best ride overall too
Dinosaur - a unique ride that offers something no other park offers
Primeval Swirl - a unique small rollercoaster
Tough to be a Bug - a 3D show like all the other parks has... possibly the funnest one, I feel it is
Kali River Rapids - second best thing there is to Splash Mt for water ride
Safari Ride - NOT zoo like at all cuz the animals are so unique, and its so open and its a lot of fun
Festival of the Lion King - one of the best shows in Disney
Pocohontas - never done it...
They had that Tarzan show which was a lot of fun
I've probably missed some cuz I'm at work...

Also, they have entertainers like those guys in Africa who do the limbo and jump through the rings... NOTHING like it... best street entertainment...

That's 9 attractions... MGM has like 11 (Again no time to really count), Epcot has like 12... but most aren't that exciting... Plus, AK is young... look at Epcot's early years, it had basically nothing and people didn't like it!!!!! They had no thrill rides, nothing beyond educational/information rides... and look at it now...

Is epcot just an educational center with a few rides? Is MGM just a studio with a few rides??? No... so don't call AK a zoo because it has animals... plus now with everest it has become a MUST...

Again, I respect your opinion, but I hate it when someone says its a zoo... its not... not at all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom