MSEP to Return to WDW for 50th Celebration?

rodserling27

I’ve thought for a long time that WDW should give the old MSEP a dreamlights-style treatment. Not just the music like they already did but the floats too. (Actually the old music is way better...) I don’t understand why this hasn’t already happened, especially given how many times MSEP keeps “returning” and then “glowing away.” It would please both long time MSEP fans and people who want something a little more modern while honoring the original.

Donaldfan1934

I wouldn't be surprised if they recycled most of "Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland" for WDW's 50th new show. It's the same castle and mostly the same rides, so they wouldn't need to modify the projections and audio that much.

They did this for Once Upon a Time, so it's not without precedent.
Now that’s the type of hand me down I wouldn’t mind seeing. Since it’s from Tokyo, there’s a good chance it’s the superior to whatever an original show might end up being anyway.

rodserling27

speaking of the old soundtrack, can someone point out where the bar of music is in the loop that has 3 beats?

Start here at 1:21, and count: 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2...
There used to be a great recording on Don Dorsey giving the history of how this musical anomaly drove everyone nuts. I can't find it now though unfortunately, as it look like the site that uploaded it took it down. Maybe someone has it downloaded?

spectrodanny

There used to be a great recording on Don Dorsey giving the history of how this musical anomaly drove everyone nuts. I can't find it now though unfortunately, as it look like the site that uploaded it took it down. Maybe someone has it downloaded?

thanks!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973

I hate that they added the 4th beat (the music is in bars of 4 beats, not 2) to the newer version. To top it off, the Alice in Wonderland theme, layered on top, is wrong now. Someone was asleep at the wheel.
In reference to a preferred nighttime parade for the 50th, if it were up to me, I'd bring back Spectro with floats styled after Tokyo's Dreamlights. I'd throw a Tangled unit in there, as "I See the Light" lends itself to the 3/4 time signature. My preference for Spectro is mainly due to the score. The Magic Kingdom deserves a "grand" parade. Disneyland's parades like PTN, and fireworks (Mix Magic) have been "poppy" for the last decade or so and it seems to fit for a California park, but I don't think they'd feel at home, here in Florida. The MK screams "big, traditional" styles of music. FoF, with it's trumpet fanfare, and HEA, with it's big orchestral score, are right at home here. Hence my opinions of Spectro; but a new concept, if they even decide to go with a nighttime parade, needs to be BIG sounding, and not in a pop music vein. (Someone call Ron and/or Don while they're still in Florida!)
(Since Tokyo parades have been discussed, I just wanted to add that I was never a fan of Fantasmic on Wheels-Fantillusion. To me, it was big and clunky, and while yes, it had a 4/4 time signature that you could clap to, the score seemed big and clunky, too-just my humble opinion).

Fable McCloud

So, I like MSEP. It was the first parade I ever saw, and I really enjoyed it. SpectroMagic was fine too, but for the 50th I'd love to see a new/revamped MSEP. Then again, they could surprise us all with a brand new parade.

Really I'd just like a new nighttime parade that isn't tied to an after hours party/event. It was always the highlight of a day at MK to watch the parade and then stay where you were to see the fireworks. It would also prevent the sea of people sitting around the hub waiting for HEA.

brb1006

I hate that they added the 4th beat (the music is in bars of 4 beats, not 2) to the newer version. To top it off, the Alice in Wonderland theme, layered on top, is wrong now. Someone was asleep at the wheel.
In reference to a preferred nighttime parade for the 50th, if it were up to me, I'd bring back Spectro with floats styled after Tokyo's Dreamlights. I'd throw a Tangled unit in there, as "I See the Light" lends itself to the 3/4 time signature. My preference for Spectro is mainly due to the score. The Magic Kingdom deserves a "grand" parade. Disneyland's parades like PTN, and fireworks (Mix Magic) have been "poppy" for the last decade or so and it seems to fit for a California park, but I don't think they'd feel at home, here in Florida. The MK screams "big, traditional" styles of music. FoF, with it's trumpet fanfare, and HEA, with it's big orchestral score, are right at home here. Hence my opinions of Spectro; but a new concept, if they even decide to go with a nighttime parade, needs to be BIG sounding, and not in a pop music vein. (Someone call Ron and/or Don while they're still in Florida!)
(Since Tokyo parades have been discussed, I just wanted to add that I was never a fan of Fantasmic on Wheels-Fantillusion. To me, it was big and clunky, and while yes, it had a 4/4 time signature that you could clap to, the score seemed big and clunky, too-just my humble opinion).
Fantillusion was actually made from the same team that made Fantasmic.

TrojanUSC

So, I like MSEP. It was the first parade I ever saw, and I really enjoyed it. SpectroMagic was fine too, but for the 50th I'd love to see a new/revamped MSEP. Then again, they could surprise us all with a brand new parade.

Really I'd just like a new nighttime parade that isn't tied to an after hours party/event. It was always the highlight of a day at MK to watch the parade and then stay where you were to see the fireworks. It would also prevent the sea of people sitting around the hub waiting for HEA.

The problem with HEA is that they made a show that basically requires you to be in front of the castle due to the projections. They made their bed with this kind of show and now are suffering the consequences.

jrhwdw

The problem with HEA is that they made a show that basically requires you to be in front of the castle due to the projections. They made their bed with this kind of show and now are suffering the consequences.
MK did this with MM&Y and CTM when we still had MSEP. Also Not So Spooky which uses HEA Tech doesn't prevent BTY from showing before Not So Spooky. MVMCP will be the same way I'm sure. Kind of sad that only at Mickey's Parties you get the full MK night experience: Night(not Light)Parade, Castle Stage Spectacular, and Fireworks show.

And Weds is the 3rd Anniversary of MSEP's Final Performace at MK! Sigh!

doctornick

My crazy idea was have a brand new night parade at MK and put PTN at DHS since all the floats theme way better there than in MK, but of course everyone is still adamant that PTN is never going to WDW.

P.S. If it ever does the amount of "I told you so" posts there'll be 😅

This is actually my preference too. I rather enjoy PTN but think it would be perfect for DHS and MK deserves a new parade.

In terms of MSEP, as much as I love it, it should be retired but preserved. At the very least the floats should be in some sort of museum, but I'd like to see them retained and brought out on occasion for special performances.

culturenthrills

OMG that old thing! PLEASE No! I would gladly accept Spectromagic, but we all know it was destroyed and disposed of...
A world class creative entertainment company that is uber successful, cannot design and turn around a new light parade in 10 or 12 years... That is pretty sad.
They can in Japan and constantly update it.

rodserling27

Me too. But even more unforgivable is that they didn't use synths in the new version that sound even remotely like the original. Very cold, stale, computerized. The original has a warmth to it that can't be beat. Surely in today's world with technology there's got to be a way to fix that 3-count section while using the original recording.

By the way, it's in cut time, Don Dorsey has said so himself, counting in 2 in a speech he once gave. :) (Which makes the 3-count measure a 3/2 measure...and technically a 6/4 bar if you're hearing it in a fast four!) Of course, you can hear it in a fast four (or perhaps hear/count it in four-beat phrases), but it would probably be a little harder to read with 16th notes. Anyway...musical nerd brain off...😄

brb1006

Me too. But even more unforgivable is that they didn't use synths in the new version that sound even remotely like the original. Very cold, stale, computerized. The original has a warmth to it that can't be beat. Surely in today's world with technology there's got to be a way to fix that 3-count section while using the original recording.

By the way, it's in cut time, Don Dorsey has said so himself, counting in 2 in a speech he once gave. :) (Which makes the 3-count measure a 3/2 measure...and technically a 6/4 bar if you're hearing it in a fast four!) Of course, you can hear it in a fast four (or perhaps hear/count it in four-beat phrases), but it would probably be a little harder to read with 16th notes. Anyway...musical nerd brain off...😄
The current music used for MSEP worked better when it was originally made for Dreamlights.

IMDREW

I wouldn't be surprised if they recycled most of "Celebrate! Tokyo Disneyland" for WDW's 50th new show. It's the same castle and mostly the same rides, so they wouldn't need to modify the projections and audio that much.

They did this for Once Upon a Time, so it's not without precedent.
I would not mind that if they add HEA level fireworks to the show. It's a really good one and with a good fireworks package would be a great crowd pleaser. I loved it in Tokyo!

Figments Friend

I would like to see the Company invest in a brand new night time 'light parade' for WDW.
It's time, and it's not like they don't have the money to do so.
They just haven't expressed the will to do so in Orlando.
No 'recylicing' for the 50th, give Guests a brand new parade.
Great addition to lure people back on Property for the Anniversary.
Would also make for a great addition to the splashy marketing for the 50th we are sure to see promoting all he ' new additions' to the Parks.

As much of a fan as I am of the MSEP, Disneyland Park in CA is it's proper home.
Last I was aware, Team Disneyland was VERY upset with how WDW took care of the parade units last time it was 'borrowed' from them, so I was told they have no interiors of loaning it to them again.
The parade is a historical piece and should be treated as such, but apparently WDW didn't take very good care of it.

WDW needs a entirely new night parade for the 50th.
Build the 'next generation' light parade that will be an attraction in it's own right for the next 20 years.
'Paint The Night' was nice, but way to much 'Pixar'.
Wow us, Burbank.
The time is now.

-

Last edited:

prberk

Can someone post a link to compare the two. I am not sure that I knew that there was a "new" recording of the MSEP music. I know that the one posted in Post #124 was the original. Can you post a link to the "new" one to compare, and tell me when it was first used?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom