MS:passenger loading?

LivefortheMouse

though i think mission space is going to be a great ride and i cant wait to ride it(im going to epcot on aug 15) I do miss horrizons, it was one of my favorite rides in epcot.I think they should have put mission space in place of universe of energy(ride ive always gone on when i wanna take a nap). I have always been bored by this ride the only part i like is the dinosaur part and for that matter there is a dinosaur ride at animal kingdom. I hope some day they bring horrizons or something simular back. cant wait to ride MS.

Mr. Toad

I may have missed this being answered elsewhere but is there any tribute in the building/ride (obvious or hidden) to Horizons (maybe the orange smell...please let it be the orange smell)?

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Ugh, on the getting sick part. You know the more I think about spinning around so much the more I think I cannot ride this ride. If you are spinning around so fast that it makes you feel weightless then I know that I will get sick. Unless you are going so fast that you don't notice that you are spinning? That part has not really been mentioned by anyone who has ridden.

The part about the CMs saying that "there's no getting out" once they close the doors is enough to make anyone have a panic attack. I'm not quite sure that should even be said, that's a given. I mean, they don't put you in TOT and say, "Ok now that you are in you can't get out." Seems sort of silly to freak people out by mentioning this.

I was reading a trip report on another site and the person said someone got out of Splash Mountain while the log was going up the hill. Yikes! Can you imagine being in a pod with someone freaking out like that?

Another thing I was thinking about--since everyone is saying it's pretty "tight" in the pods--what about if it breaks down? You know how long it takes the CMs to get people out of broken rides (think Test Track). Sitting in that pod for 20 mins or longer I think would have me about nuts.

I keep asking everyone if they think I might have a chance of riding June 17th through the 24th when I'm at the World, and everyone has given me a polite silence. At this point, though, I'm glad that I won't have the pressure to ride.

Christina

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by CoraJack
Ugh, on the getting sick part. You know the more I think about spinning around so much the more I think I cannot ride this ride. If you are spinning around so fast that it makes you feel weightless then I know that I will get sick. Unless you are going so fast that you don't notice that you are spinning? That part has not really been mentioned by anyone who has ridden.

The part about the CMs saying that "there's no getting out" once they close the doors is enough to make anyone have a panic attack. I'm not quite sure that should even be said, that's a given. I mean, they don't put you in TOT and say, "Ok now that you are in you can't get out." Seems sort of silly to freak people out by mentioning this.

I was reading a trip report on another site and the person said someone got out of Splash Mountain while the log was going up the hill. Yikes! Can you imagine being in a pod with someone freaking out like that?

Another thing I was thinking about--since everyone is saying it's pretty "tight" in the pods--what about if it breaks down? You know how long it takes the CMs to get people out of broken rides (think Test Track). Sitting in that pod for 20 mins or longer I think would have me about nuts.

I keep asking everyone if they think I might have a chance of riding June 17th through the 24th when I'm at the World, and everyone has given me a polite silence. At this point, though, I'm glad that I won't have the pressure to ride.

Christina

First off.....Being a CM on Splash Mountain I know for a fact that people get out of their logs on a Daily basis. If they are freaked out by Splash I can only imagine what some people are thinking about MS. The one thing they stress in MS is to look forward at your video screen. As long as you keep looking forward you can't even tell that you're moving. It is an amazingly smooth ride. You can't even tell that you are moving until you start feeling the change in G's.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
People get off of the logs every day at Splash??!!! I mean, really is this without exception? I'm not doubting you at all, but I find this absolutely ridiculous and amazing at the same time. Why aren't these people hurt? I mean, I heard about the guy who was killed, but if it's an every day occurrance I'd think that more people would be injured and we'd hear about it. Are people nuts or what? :p

OK, so if this is true about Splash is there anyway that people could endanger you on MS? Could they get out of their restraints and start flying all over the place? Yikes!

So you are saying that on Space you can't tell that you are spinning? Man, I'm getting sick just thinking about it!

Christina

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Centrifugeer

My only wish is that they make one of the ride rooms an extreme version of the ride. One that pulled more G's than normal. Maybe you'd have to qualify by taking a preset number of rides before you could do the extreme version? Surely they're nowhere close to maxing out the ride equipment? An even more intense version of M: S would be off the scale.

This attraction seems to be setup perfectly for WDI doing what they have done with ToT through the years, constant changes to the ride profile. The multibay configuration also lends itself perfectly to the situation you outlined. :) Lets keep our fingers crossed!

MonkeyHead

Originally posted by wdwmagic
This attraction seems to be setup perfectly for WDI doing what they have done with ToT through the years, constant changes to the ride profile. The multibay configuration also lends itself perfectly to the situation you outlined. :) Lets keep our fingers crossed!

That'll never happen. From the reports I've heard, I'd be surprised if they allow the current programming to stay as intense as it is before August 15th.

ISTCrew20

My mom used to work at Disney with a lady who called the other day with her Mission Space report...She said her brain wasnt working the rest of the day, and she wasnt dizzy when she first got off, but about 10 minutes later she was. She said Lift Off was awesome though

Coaster Guy

Originally posted by CoraJack
You know the more I think about spinning around so much the more I think I cannot ride this ride. If you are spinning around so fast that it makes you feel weightless then I know that I will get sick. Unless you are going so fast that you don't notice that you are spinning? That part has not really been mentioned by anyone who has ridden.
Christina

The ride is so smooth and seamless between the scenes that you will not feel like you are spinning. Honestly, you start spinning before you even realize it. AT NO TIME DURING THE RIDE DO YOU FEEL LIKE YO ARE SPINNING!! I don't get motionsickness from spinning very easily, so I wasn't worried. One of my friends though gets sick very easliy especially on the tea cups and he was totally 100% fine with the ride. In fact he loved it and went back on it again. There have been so many rumors about this ride making people sick that when people ride it, they expect to get sick. Then they do. I think a lot of it is all psychological (a psychosematic manifestation if you will). If you did not know that the ride spun before you got on , you would not believe it does when you got off. You don't feel like you are spinning, you just feel like you are getting pushed backwards into your seat like on Rock n Roller Coaster (except without the wind in your hair). When you ride it, you will love it!!

WDWFREAK53

Ok...let's settle this :)

In comparison to other WDW attractions...the "sick factor" of Mission Space would be closest to the "sick factor" of ______________________

(fill in attraction)

(and state if it's worse or tamer or just the same)

Coaster Guy

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
I don't know what they were, but it was definately a crisp, bright picture. The preshow monitors are plasma screens, also giving you a good picture. Overall the ride is unlike anything you've ever done before.

It is funny because when you enter the capsule, you see the televisions and the mirror and you can tell exactly what they are. They look like screens and a mirror. Then you sit down, get all ready to go and when the consol tips forward, they suddenly no longer look like tv's. I am not sure if it is the angle that you look at them or something, but it suddenly looks like you are looking out a window instead of at a screen. It is very cool. And there are also smaller screens between the main screens that show what your craft is doing (like on the screens on the big wall at the real mision control in Houston)

leeocean

Where do you put your stuff?
I always have a backpack with me to carry around Freak's binky and blanket so where do they make me store it when I ride?

Coaster Guy

They have small compartments in each pod to hold some things. They are about 6 inches by a foot and about 18 inches deep. I am not sure about large packages and backpacks though. At space mountain we will take them to unload for the guest to pick up, so with large packages, I bet they will do something like that with them.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by leeocean
Where do you put your stuff?
I always have a backpack with me to carry around Freak's binky and blanket so where do they make me store it when I ride?

They're like my American Express card...I never leave home without them.

(Sheesh...like I'd make you carry them)

Centrifugeer

Originally posted by CTXRover
Centrifugeer, how many people, total, do you think have ridden it so far? Of that, what percentage have gotten sick? I've read everything from it being extremely intense to somewhat tame, depending on that person's opinion and, I suppose, their thrill ride background. Are there enough people getting sick that it could result in changes or, dare I say, delays in its opening to guests or are the people getting sick such a small amount that it isn't a huge concern?

Not sure about the total number of riders. The overall number that have gotten sick is very, very, tiny though. If I had to guess, I'd say that somewhere between 1 in 3000 to 1 in 5000 people actually pull the plug. Plenty others may get queasy but the symptoms pass quickly.

The thing is, many of the folks that would normally blow chunks on a fairly intense rides seem to handle M: S fine. It's something that is intense that they can handle and I think that attests to the fine work that the Imagineers have done on this ride.

Possibly, it may also have to do with why you feel so much fresh, cool air blowing on your face during the ride. :D

Originally posted by Coaster Guy
The ride is so smooth and seamless between the scenes that you will not feel like you are spinning. Honestly, you start spinning before you even realize it. AT NO TIME DURING THE RIDE DO YOU FEEL LIKE YO ARE SPINNING!! I don't get motionsickness from spinning very easily, so I wasn't worried. One of my friends though gets sick very easliy especially on the tea cups and he was totally 100% fine with the ride. In fact he loved it and went back on it again. There have been so many rumors about this ride making people sick that when people ride it, they expect to get sick. Then they do. I think a lot of it is all psychological (a psychosematic manifestation if you will). If you did not know that the ride spun before you got on , you would not believe it does when you got off. You don't feel like you are spinning, you just feel like you are getting pushed backwards into your seat like on Rock n Roller Coaster (except without the wind in your hair). When you ride it, you will love it!!

I think Coaster Guy pretty much nailed it. You don't feel any kind of lateral acceleration or anything related to spinning. There is no dizziness. The transition in any direction - whether moving slow to fast or fast to slow - is not noticable whatsoever.

Timekeeper

One Size Fits Few

I am assuming that the pods will begin and end at the same preshow room. In other words, if riders board Pod 3 from Room 3, the ride will come to an end with Pod 3 lined up with Room 3. I don't know the specific layout of the 4 "circles" and the unloading process, but my assumptions mean that passengers could leave their "luggage" in the adjacent exit room (if it's a seperate room) without fear of anyone touching it until their ride is complete - because their Pod would line back up with the room in which they boarded it from. This would seem like the most logical way to prevent damage to personal items and the need for a system of lockers.

Also,

Are they going to have sample "ride seats" at the exterior of the attraction? Universal's Islands of adventure has a pair of ride seats in front of each roller coaster attraction. This ensures that potential riders will be able to fit into the restraint and don't feel clostraphobic while "pinned down" like that. I have, too often, seen a "large" guest attempt to board a roller coaster only to realize, after waiting in line and in front of a large crowd, that he/she is too large for the restraint. Steps should be taken to prevent this and I think a sample seat/restraint out front is the best solution.

Also,

It's been mentioned that you can easily eye the obvious "mirror" / "monitor" effect prior to being seated at the idea ride-sight-level. In order to "preserve the magic" and "build anticipation," why not use a movable soft-screen in front of the array of 4 viewers similar to the ones used in Star Tours and Body Wars? That way the rider sees nothing (pertaining to the mirror/monitor) until they are already strapped into their seat, and the screen would shut before their restraints are unlocked. This may help prevent fingerprints and other "dirt" on the mirror/glass from [people like me]. The screen would be a great place to place more artwork, such as a nice large Horizons Logo!:sohappy:

Just some thoughts,

Tk

P.S.

If someone does "have an accident" in a Pod, and for all other custodial work and cleaning within the M:S facility, employees should use a cleaning solution "with orange" in it. There's something strangely futuristic about an orange scent in a modern building.

ucf disneyfan

Re: One Size Fits Few

Originally posted by Timekeeper
I am assuming that the pods will begin and end at the same preshow room. In other words, if riders board Pod 3 from Room 3, the ride will come to an end with Pod 3 lined up with Room 3. I don't know the specific layout of the 4 "circles" and the unloading process, but my assumptions mean that passengers could leave their "luggage" in the adjacent exit room (if it's a seperate room) without fear of anyone touching it until their ride is complete - because their Pod would line back up with the room in which they boarded it from. This would seem like the most logical way to prevent damage to personal items and the need for a system of lockers.

Also,

Are they going to have sample "ride seats" at the exterior of the attraction? Universal's Islands of adventure has a pair of ride seats in front of each roller coaster attraction. This ensures that potential riders will be able to fit into the restraint and don't feel clostraphobic while "pinned down" like that. I have, too often, seen a "large" guest attempt to board a roller coaster only to realize, after waiting in line and in front of a large crowd, that he/she is too large for the restraint. Steps should be taken to prevent this and I think a sample seat/restraint out front is the best solution.

Also,

It's been mentioned that you can easily eye the obvious "mirror" / "monitor" effect prior to being seated at the idea ride-sight-level. In order to "preserve the magic" and "build anticipation," why not use a movable soft-screen in front of the array of 4 viewers similar to the ones used in Star Tours and Body Wars? That way the rider sees nothing (pertaining to the mirror/monitor) until they are already strapped into their seat, and the screen would shut before their restraints are unlocked. This may help prevent fingerprints and other "dirt" on the mirror/glass from [people like me]. The screen would be a great place to place more artwork, such as a nice large Horizons Logo!:sohappy:

Just some thoughts,

Tk

P.S.

If someone does "have an accident" in a Pod, and for all other custodial work and cleaning within the M:S facility, employees should use a cleaning solution "with orange" in it. There's something strangely futuristic about an orange scent in a modern building.

I don't know the whole situation with leaving bags. But to answer your question. Everyone loads through different doors but you all exit through one main door. You'll understand it more when you see it.

Dayma

I am sure you cant dmg the HDTV screens at all.

Is there a protective piece of glass in front of them?

Originally posted by RnRCJohn
I am highly disapointed to hear that :(. They should have made it so it seems like your actually on a space mission and not just training :veryconfu :( :cry:

totally agree. they should pu tit as a mission thats why its called MISSION:space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom