Ms. Marvel TV Series in the Works for Disney+

erasure fan1

Despite the show not having a huge audience, and the movie being just ok, Iman was fairly unanimously credited as the highlight of both, as long as the budget is reasonable, and the writing is good, a second season makes a lot of sense to expose more people to Iman/Kamala before she heads up the next movies.
I think the hard part now, is what is going to be the final direction of the mcu? If there is going to be something salvaged from what a poop show the marvels was, it's Iman. But I really think she needs some time as a secondary hero, like falcon was, to let people see her and get to like her. So it's hard to say what direction they should go with the character until we know what the arc for the mcu will be. And if they want to jump right back in with another show, that's fine. Disney just needs to temper the expectations on what's successful. Could a season 2 be a big success? Sure. But after the marvels, that will be a major uphill battle. That's why I think her making appearance's in more established content would be great. Then give her a season 2 to lead in to the next avengers.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think the hard part now, is what is going to be the final direction of the mcu? If there is going to be something salvaged from what a poop show the marvels was, it's Iman. But I really think she needs some time as a secondary hero, like falcon was, to let people see her and get to like her. So it's hard to say what direction they should go with the character until we know what the arc for the mcu will be. And if they want to jump right back in with another show, that's fine. Disney just needs to temper the expectations on what's successful. Could a season 2 be a big success? Sure. But after the marvels, that will be a major uphill battle. That's why I think her making appearance's in more established content would be great. Then give her a season 2 to lead in to the next avengers.
Black Widow being a great example of this, what started as a secondary character became a fan favorite and an integral part of the entire avengers franchise.

That was likely the thought process behind putting Kamala in the Marvels, introduce her in an established billion dollar franchise and then let her take the lead from there, they forgot they needed to make a movie people wanted to watch for that to work though.

MarvelCharacterNerd

It feels like Disney has painted themselves into a corner, she a central character in a lot of their future plans and she doesn’t have the same name recognition of a Robert Downey Jr or IronMan, for those plans to be the billion dollar blockbusters of the past she (actress and character) needs to be a lot more popular than she currently is.

Despite the show not having a huge audience, and the movie being just ok, Iman was fairly unanimously credited as the highlight of both, as long as the budget is reasonable, and the writing is good, a second season makes a lot of sense to expose more people to Iman/Kamala before she heads up the next movies.
But I don't think she's intended to head up the next *Avengers* movie. I equate her with Thunderbolts and tempered expectations of a B-team Young Avengers movie - or at most, Spider-Man's role in Civil War, a minor but very appealing part with the big characters. I have no concerns about Iman's ability to charm an audience - she's adorable. I'm far more concerned that other characters thus far - looking at you, Kate Bishop and Cassie Lang - are not at her level of appeal.

Having become a huge fan of Xochitl Gomez thanks to Dancing with the Stars - which everyone should watch to see how great and bubbly her personality truly is but didn't get the chance to shine through enough in MoM - I would be SO there for a Ms. Marvel & America Chavez adventure. Those two girls are just joy personified.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well she is a big time film star now
Does every MCU role need to be played by a "big time" A list film star, no. So not sure your point here other than to be snarky. A role can make or even revive a career. RDJ was all but washed up in Hollywood before playing Tony. Chris Evans wasn't considered bankable before playing Steve, his highest grossing movies before that was coincidentally for Fox/Marvel the often panned set of F4 films.

So just because she isn't a "big time film star" yet doesn't mean she shouldn't continue in the role or get a second season of the series.

Vegas Disney Fan

But I don't think she's intended to head up the next *Avengers* movie. I equate her with Thunderbolts and tempered expectations of a B-team Young Avengers movie - or at most, Spider-Man's role in Civil War, a minor but very appealing part with the big characters. I have no concerns about Iman's ability to charm an audience - she's adorable. I'm far more concerned that other characters thus far - looking at you, Kate Bishop and Cassie Lang - are not at her level of appeal.

Having become a huge fan of Xochitl Gomez thanks to Dancing with the Stars - which everyone should watch to see how great and bubbly her personality truly is but didn't get the chance to shine through enough in MoM - I would be SO there for a Ms. Marvel & America Chavez adventure. Those two girls are just joy personified.
With the Kang actors issues is there even an Avengers movie in the pipeline anymore?

I was referring to the young avengers, I’d forgotten about thunderbolts, so it was the only team-up movie I thought was still in the works. Marvel is in complete disarray right now, it feels like a rudderless ship… no direction or final destination.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With the Kang actors issues is there even an Avengers movie in the pipeline anymore?

I was referring to the young avengers, I’d forgotten about thunderbolts, so it was the only team-up movie I thought was still in the works. Marvel is in complete disarray right now, it feels like a rudderless ship… no direction or final destination.
Avengers Secret Wars is still happening as is the former titled Avengers Kang Dynasty now just called Avengers 5.

Things might be in flux in terms of storyline due to Kang, but it’s not rudderless. Also this is the MCU, where the ship has no final destination, the journey just continues with each movie just being a stop along that journey.

LSLS

Avengers Secret Wars is still happening as is the former titled Avengers Kang Dynasty now just called Avengers 5.

Things might be in flux in terms of storyline due to Kang, but it’s not rudderless. Also this is the MCU, where the ship has no final destination, the journey just continues with each movie just being a stop along that journey.
Eh I'd argue it felt a bit rudderless when Kang WAS the main villain they were leading to. I mean, we went through an entire phase with no meet ups, and almost no overlaps of characters (It was what, Wanda in Strange where they took her out, and Guardians in Thor for 2 minutes?).

That said, I think a season 2 makes sense in that it's a good test of where she is at. As Vegas said, she has been widely panned as the standout in two things now (and personal opinion, well deserved). It would be interesting to see if that translates to more people tuning in to see her now, or if it's still just not totally connecting.

Last edited:

Hawkeye_2018

She was the second lead in the biggest box office bomb of all time. You can't spend another dime on a second season or obviously another movie. Give her a small part in whatever team up movie up is coming up is the only realistic option.

erasure fan1

But that's not what made the infinity saga so popular. People knew what it was leading to. What made the first 3 phases so great, was how they kept an overarching story while keeping each movie enjoyable on it's own. Phase 4 was absolutely rudderless in my opinion. The majority of projects didn't connect to the one overarching story. Phase 4 seemed to throw a bunch out there to see what would stick. Unfortunately not much did. So hopefully going forward they've adjusted and things are going to flow into each other and the overall story much better. But to say the mcu never had a destination? Of course it did. Phase one was to form the team and introduce Thanos. Then most everything after was in service of the Thanos, infinity stone plot advancement.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Eh I'd argue it felt a bit rudderless when Kang WAS the main villain they were leading to. I mean, we went through an entire phase with no meet ups, and almost no overlaps of characters (It was what, Wanda in Strange where they took her out, and Guardians in Thor for 2 minutes?).
But that's not what made the infinity saga so popular. People knew what it was leading to. What made the first 3 phases so great, was how they kept an overarching story while keeping each movie enjoyable on it's own. Phase 4 was absolutely rudderless in my opinion. The majority of projects didn't connect to the one overarching story. Phase 4 seemed to throw a bunch out there to see what would stick. Unfortunately not much did. So hopefully going forward they've adjusted and things are going to flow into each other and the overall story much better. But to say the mcu never had a destination? Of course it did. Phase one was to form the team and introduce Thanos. Then most everything after was in service of the Thanos, infinity stone plot advancement.

Phase One didn't have Thanos appear until a 30 second post-credit cameo scene in Avengers. So there was no "big bad" in all of Phase One and pretty must most of Phase Two, so no people didn't know where it was leading to until later in Phase Two. Heck they didn't even really truly start introducing the Infinity Stones (the overarching story) until Guardians 1, which was almost the end of Phase Two.

And so by all accounts Phase Four was a reset, a "post-Blip/post-Endgame" Phase One. So the next "big bad" wasn't going to appear in any of the Phase Four films as it was suppose to introduce the next set of character arcs. And really Kang wasn't even originally suppose to be the next threat anyways, just like Thanos wasn't originally suppose to be the "big bad" of the Infinity Saga either. It was only after the Loki series and seeing Majors performance that they moved to having Kang being the "big bad", and well it just didn't pan out for obvious reasons and now need to pivot.

So to me it never felt rudderless because I knew it was still leading to something even if that wasn't yet known, just like Phase One.

Also No Way Home had Strange in it as well, which is part of the MCU, and don't forget the D+ series and its characters which are part of Phase Four too, so that is half of all Phase Four having at least some cross-over with other characters.

That said, I think a season 2 makes sense in that it's a good test of where she is at. As Vegas said, she has been widely panned as the standout in two things now (and personal opinion, well deserved). It would be interesting to see if that translates to more people tuning in to see her now, or if it's still just not totally connecting.
The word you're looking for is praised not panned for her performance. :)

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

She was the second lead in the biggest box office bomb of all time. You can't spend another dime on a second season or obviously another movie. Give her a small part in whatever team up movie up is coming up is the only realistic option.
That’s one view, the other is she was the one standout in an otherwise underwhelming movie.

I think the Marvels writing have been fairly bad the last couple years but the casting has been phenomenal. She hulk was horribly written but the actress was amazing, I’d say the same of Ms Marvel, can’t blame the actors for bad writing.

erasure fan1

Phase One didn't have Thanos appear until a 30 second post-credit cameo scene in Avengers. So there was no "big bad" in all of Phase One and pretty must most of Phase Two,
True but anyone paying attention through the phase one films knew there was something bigger going on. That someone was pulling the strings. Of course they didn't have Thanos as the big bad during iron man. They were just focusing on keeping marvel together. But they knew pretty early the basics of what they were going to do
Heck they didn't even really truly start introducing the Infinity Stones (the overarching story) until Guardians 1, which was almost the end of Phase Two.
They introduced them in the first avenger and the avengers. You didn't know what they were yet, but that's just good story telling. Then another one was introduced in dark world. Then guardians introduced one more and reveled what their significance was. And it builds from there.
Also No Way Home had Strange in it as well, which is part of the MCU, and don't forget the D+ series and its characters which are part of Phase Four too, so that is half of all Phase Four having at least some cross-over with other characters.
But none of it felt like it was leading anywhere. Could that be because of the significant drop in quality? Maybe. If the films were better, you don't mind if it seems like there's no real throughput.
And so by all accounts Phase Four was a reset, a "post-Blip/post-Endgame" Phase One. So the next "big bad" wasn't going to appear in any of the Phase Four films as it was suppose to introduce the next set of character arcs.
I agree it was a reset. But the universe was already established. You needed to have this worked out a lot faster. Introducing new characters and new arcs are fine. It just felt disconnected to me. And like I said, maybe it's because so much of phase 4 was a letdown I was looking for more than what there was.

Vegas Disney Fan

But none of it felt like it was leading anywhere. Could that be because of the significant drop in quality? Maybe. If the films were better, you don't mind if it seems like there's no real throughput.

I agree it was a reset. But the universe was already established. You needed to have this worked out a lot faster. Introducing new characters and new arcs are fine. It just felt disconnected to me. And like I said, maybe it's because so much of phase 4 was a letdown I was looking for more than what there was.

My major issue with the recent movies is that I still don’t know what Kang’s goal is, and that’s after watching all the movies and the D+ shows. With Thanos we knew from the very beginning he was after the stones, we didn’t know the ultimate “snap” goal but we knew he was after them for their power. Kang has been in a couple movies now and a dozen D+ episodes and all I know about him is he guards the timeline, there’s hundreds of versions of him, and he’s fairly easy to kill. I still have no clue what his goal is. It’s possible they’ve said and it’s so confusing I missed it but with confusing topics like time travel and multi dimensions that’s a risk they should have foreseen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True but anyone paying attention through the phase one films knew there was something bigger going on. That someone was pulling the strings. Of course they didn't have Thanos as the big bad during iron man. They were just focusing on keeping marvel together. But they knew pretty early the basics of what they were going to do

They introduced them in the first avenger and the avengers. You didn't know what they were yet, but that's just good story telling. Then another one was introduced in dark world. Then guardians introduced one more and reveled what their significance was. And it builds from there.

Hindsight is always 20/20, it wasn't known in Phase One or even really much of Phase Two there was an overarching villain pulling the strings. In reality if you look at the MCU history, it has always been this "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" type of movie making. We like to think they have a master plan, but in reality they don't. Feige has some vague broad stroke ideas but its not all mapped out like it appears to be from the outside.

For example Marvel wasn't even going to use Thanos for the MCU until Joss thought of adding him as a post-credit scene in Avengers. Even then it wasn't really known how big a role he was going to play, same with the Infinity Stones. It wasn't even know there would be Infinity Stones when the Tesseract was introduced. It wasn't until later when Guardians was being written that it all came together, that was deep into Phase Two.

So yeah I get how you can feel Phase Four is rudderless when comparing it how it "appeared" that the Infinity Saga was planned out. But the reality is that the Multiverse Saga, for all its faults, has been put together the same way as the Infinity Saga, ie some broad strokes and then throwing the rest against the wall and seeing what sticks.

erasure fan1

Hindsight is always 20/20, it wasn't known in Phase One or even really much of Phase Two there was an overarching villain pulling the strings. In reality if you look at the MCU history, it has always been this "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" type of movie making. We like to think they have a master plan, but in reality they don't. Feige has some vague broad stroke ideas but its not all mapped out like it appears to be from the outside.
And this should tell you all you need to know about how phase 4 & 5 have gone. Just because there wasn't an announced villain or story doesn't matter. They had ideas and they wove them together with each film. The point being, it didn't feel rudderless. It felt like each film was building on the next. It has nothing to do with hindsight. It is now, what it was then for me. As I was watching phase one, I knew that it was leading to something. I didn't know exactly what, but once I saw Thanos, I knew what direction it was going. It seems like you aren't willing to give them credit for what they did. Was it dumb luck? I don't think so. And they absolutely could have done it again. So if 4 & 5 are similar to 1 & 2, they just did a terrible job in comparison. Marvel basically invented serial storytelling for movies. It's hard to defend post infinity saga when even the ceo admits they screwed it up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And this should tell you all you need to know about how phase 4 & 5 have gone. Just because there wasn't an announced villain or story doesn't matter. They had ideas and they wove them together with each film. The point being, it didn't feel rudderless. It felt like each film was building on the next. It has nothing to do with hindsight. It is now, what it was then for me. As I was watching phase one, I knew that it was leading to something. I didn't know exactly what, but once I saw Thanos, I knew what direction it was going. It seems like you aren't willing to give them credit for what they did. Was it dumb luck? I don't think so. And they absolutely could have done it again. So if 4 & 5 are similar to 1 & 2, they just did a terrible job in comparison. Marvel basically invented serial storytelling for movies. It's hard to defend post infinity saga when even the ceo admits they screwed it up.
Where did I say Phases 4 and 5 were executed well? Never did, execution wise I think they failed overall. That doesn't mean I think the individual movies/tv shows were bad however, some were better than others. But to me it just didn't feel rudderless, it still felt like it was building to something, even if it wasn't made apparent to all and was the lull before the big reveal. So if it felt rudderless to you, well that is a valid opinion for you and never claimed it wasn't, but its not how all see it which is my overall point. Knowing the end goal of the Multiverse Saga being Secret Wars and its story line and Young Avengers and its story line, I knew basically what they were building toward and the pieces to me so far have made sense.

We'll see how the rest of Phase 5 goes, and how Phase 6 starts to see if it gets better and feels less rudderless for you and some others.

TP2000

When do they announce the new seasons nowadays?

In my day, September was the start of the new TV season, and in August you'd get all sorts of buzz and publicity for the new stuff coming to the three networks. Then in October you'd get the start of the new model year for cars, and all the car dealerships in town would hold debut parties with free hot dogs and Pepsi and balloons for the kids so you could see the new models and collect all the brochures. Autumn was fun back then.

How does it work now? Is it just randomly at any time of the year a new show is announced, or is it still in the fall?

I ask because I'm just wondering when we should expect an announcement of Season 2 for Ms. Marvel. This summer?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom