MP3 & Photo Storage

SirNim

Original Poster
Hello all. This Christmas, I need to know of a good MP3 player. However, I also need the device to have photo capability. What kind of photo functions? I need to be able to transfer photos from my digital camera (CompactFlash) to the device without the use of a laptop or other computer. Being able to view the photos that are on the player is preferred, but not necessary.

Now I know that iPod photo came out, and I also know there are some accessories that are available with it, like the Belkin Media Reader, with which you can tranfer photos from memory cards to the mp3 hard drive.

I also know there are other "combo" devices on the market, like Creative Labs' Zen Personal Media Center.

My question is if anybody can recommend any such device (or rather combination of device + accessory). I'd prefer one, single unit... But I don't think there are any such mp3 players out there that have a CF card slot. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Thank you in advance! :)

-sirnim

PhotoDave219

Geeez.... thats a tought question. I'd have to research it...

Personally. I'd go for something that supports compact flash, just pop the card from camera into the DA type thing. But im not sure which one's do anymore....

SirNim

Original Poster
I saw the Nikon CoolWalker thing that is a portable photo viewer/hard drive with a CF slot, but the thing is, I need/would like to combine an MP3 player with it, for space and money purposes. I agree, this is tough...

Testtrack321

When connected to the Belink Media Reader, the iPod Photo will not add the pictures to the photo album on the iPod, just the files to access on your computer. Rule the iPod out.

SirNim

Original Poster
You guys are great. I'm gonna peruse the information you've provided. Thanks! :)

edit, quick question... Does anybody happen to know if any of these use FireWire (IE9334whatever)?

SirNim

Original Poster
Testtrack321 said:
When connected to the Belink Media Reader, the iPod Photo will not add the pictures to the photo album on the iPod, just the files to access on your computer. Rule the iPod out.
Is the system, though, generally reliable, even though you can't view the photos? I primarily need to just be able to clear up memory card space. It's not *imperative* that I be able to see all the shots I had taken that day, which I can do on my camera if necessary.

The reason is iPod works with FireWire (IE1394), and it seems most of the other brands mentioned are only USB 2.0. I *believe* FW is faster... and I need as fast as I can get considering how much stuff I have to load this thing up with, music and photos and everything.

So, do any other non-Apple models support Firewire? (and perhaps have a CF slot?) LOL That is the ideal we are searching for... But "ideal" is "ideal" only because it is seldom seen.

Testtrack321

SirNim said:
Is the system, though, generally reliable, even though you can't view the photos? I primarily need to just be able to clear up memory card space. It's not *imperative* that I be able to see all the shots I had taken that day, which I can do on my camera if necessary.

The reason is iPod works with FireWire (IE1394), and it seems most of the other brands mentioned are only USB 2.0. I *believe* FW is faster... and I need as fast as I can get considering how much stuff I have to load this thing up with, music and photos and everything.

So, do any other non-Apple models support Firewire? (and perhaps have a CF slot?) LOL That is the ideal we are searching for... But "ideal" is "ideal" only because it is seldom seen.

It works reliably, but not very fast. Here's a good review of the media reader...

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=1813_0_6_0_M

And another review of a camera -> iPod unit that skips the whole removing the CF slot thing, not good if you just want to throw in another card and take photos when you iPod is loading the photos...

http://ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=3775_0_6_0_M

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Eh....I'd stay away from iPods (unless you're running a Mac)....I've had too many troubles with it in the past.....hence why I'm getting a new MP3 player for Christmas....but that's just my opinion.... :)

Testtrack321

NemoRocks said:
Eh....I'd stay away from iPods (unless you're running a Mac)....I've had too many troubles with it in the past.....hence why I'm getting a new MP3 player for Christmas....but that's just my opinion.... :)

the HP iPod offers better warrente and windows support, but they only offer the base model iPod, no photos or minis!

SirNim

Original Poster
Ok folks.

I've narrowed this down a bit.

I'm thinking it's going to either be the Archos Gmini 400 or iPod Photo 40g + Belkin Media Reader.

The Gmini 400 is only 20 gigs as opposed to 40 gigs, BUT the Gmini has a built in CF card slot, which will come in handy.

The Gmini supports USB 2.0 while the iPod supports FireWire. Now, I'm not too sure about which is faster, and if the faster"ness" is distinguishable when transferring music or photos to and from the unit to the computer. I'd like a fast connection, but I'm not sure if it would really make a difference with this.

Another thing is that the Gmini does not require a computer program in order to transfer music; my understanding is that is acts like a removable drive when connected to the computer and you do not need a software program to transfer files; just copy and paste them with Windows. Of course, iPod has to go through iTunes software.

The Gmini is about $200 less than the combined iPod + Belkin Reader set, but it is also half the size (in storage capacity). It also takes up less cubic space and is slightly less heavy. It's gotten pretty good reviews on Amazon.com, too, with many customers saying that the unit beats the iPod Photo.

So my question to you is, which should I go with? I've outlined the positives and negatives. If you were me, working with this information, what is most important when it comes to choosing? Which parameter is most essential when making the decision? What decision would you make?

Thanks again...
-sirnim

maelstrom

The iPod does not require iTunes to use it has a hard drive. It only requires iTunes to transfer songs. iTunes is fun, anyhow. Firewire is faster than USB 2.0. I would go with the iPod Photo, but I'm an Apple purist. I'd also recommend getting the largest capacity hard drive you can afford; I have the 10gb 3G iPod and I regret not getting the larger model. I'd also like to add that I've had no problems with my iPod on Windows or Mac. I'd kill for an iPod Photo right now, just for the colour screen.

SirNim

Original Poster
Going once... going twice...

I'm only an elected official!

I can't make decisions by myself!

:lol:

Help me!
:)

SirNim

Original Poster
OK

Let me post one more question before I make my choice:

Do any of you happen to know/think/presume if any new models of MP3 player (preferably at least a combo music + photo) will be introduced in the US market between now and June?

I'm not in a rush to get one of these things, so you know, but I do NEED it for June.

If there is going to be an updated version of, say, iPod photo or another combo music/photo device being put on the market between now and June, please let me know.

Thanks! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom