Moving to Orlando

VT GAL

Original Poster
Hello!

We are going to are going to be moving to Orlando soon :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:, and I was wondering if anyone who was local could share any advice about Orlando. Right now I am trying to figure out where to look and all that fun stuff, and my head is spinning!!!

I would TOTALLY appreciate it!!!! :wave:

Shelley

TTATraveler

Hello!

We are going to are going to be moving to Orlando soon :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:, and I was wondering if anyone who was local could share any advice about Orlando. Right now I am trying to figure out where to look and all that fun stuff, and my head is spinning!!!

I would TOTALLY appreciate it!!!! :wave:

Shelley

I hope you have a job lined up for one, unless you don't have to work. Living here is different then vacationing here, that will hit you right away. There are lots of nice areas and not so nice areas in the Orlando Metro area, depending on what you are looking for and what your budget is. If you want to be near Disney, there are plenty of nice areas including Windermere, Dr. Phillips, and the newer parts of Winter Garden (south of S.R. 50). There are nicer areas of Orlando, but you don't have to travel far to get into crappy areas. Your best bet may be to drive around and see what the area is like.

VT GAL

Original Poster
I hope you have a job lined up for one, unless you don't have to work. Living here is different then vacationing here, that will hit you right away. There are lots of nice areas and not so nice areas in the Orlando Metro area, depending on what you are looking for and what your budget is. If you want to be near Disney, there are plenty of nice areas including Windermere, Dr. Phillips, and the newer parts of Winter Garden (south of S.R. 50). There are nicer areas of Orlando, but you don't have to travel far to get into crappy areas. Your best bet may be to drive around and see what the area is like.

Thankfully, my husband has a job.

The where to live is the part that I am wondering about...

We are really looking for a very kid friendly area, that doesn't necessarily have to be close to the parks. I have heard great things about Baldwin Park and the north side, but it seems like you get more for the money in the Southern side. Dr. Phillips and Windermere seem really nice, too. Do you have a preference as to which area you like the best?

I am just trying to do some research to narrow down the areas where we look when we come down, and it is hard to figure out from the internet...

Thanks!!!! :wave:

TTATraveler

Thankfully, my husband has a job.

The where to live is the part that I am wondering about...

We are really looking for a very kid friendly area, that doesn't necessarily have to be close to the parks. I have heard great things about Baldwin Park and the north side, but it seems like you get more for the money in the Southern side. Dr. Phillips and Windermere seem really nice, too. Do you have a preference as to which area you like the best?

I am just trying to do some research to narrow down the areas where we look when we come down, and it is hard to figure out from the internet...

Thanks!!!! :wave:

I haven't been over to Baldwin Park, but haven't heard anything bad about it. I like the Windermere and Dr. Phillips area. I moved to this area because of the easy access to shopping areas and work. Being close to Disney is a plus, but I only go a couple times a month, so it is not like I live there. Baldwin Park is going to be closer to Downtown Orlando and probably a little bit more traffic over there.

VT GAL

Original Poster
I haven't been over to Baldwin Park, but haven't heard anything bad about it. I like the Windermere and Dr. Phillips area. I moved to this area because of the easy access to shopping areas and work. Being close to Disney is a plus, but I only go a couple times a month, so it is not like I live there. Baldwin Park is going to be closer to Downtown Orlando and probably a little bit more traffic over there.

That makes sense...I would have thought the same thing about the traffic, but I was having a hard time figuring that out. We have friends moving to Baldwin Park, so that is why we had it on our radar.

Just the thought of going to WDW a couple of times a month makes me giddy! :p

Thank you sooo much for your help!!!

Shelley

chama1

Balwin Park, Dr Phillips, College Pk, are very nice areas but if you have kids you need to look into the school districts. Remember...location, location, location and that goes for schools also. The Winter Garden, Windermere area have exceptional schools but they are also expensive if you are considering private ones. In Windermere, Disney is your neighbor but locals can't afford it as much as people think, but you can always take walks through the resorts and Downtown Disney is always free. Ride around and see where you feel the most comfortable and ask yourself how far is the commute to job, hospitals, schools, shopping, parks, etc. Good Luck and Welcome. :wave:

VT GAL

Original Poster
Balwin Park, Dr Phillips, College Pk, are very nice areas but if you have kids you need to look into the school districts. Remember...location, location, location and that goes for schools also. The Winter Garden, Windermere area have exceptional schools but they are also expensive if you are considering private ones. In Windermere, Disney is your neighbor but locals can't afford it as much as people think, but you can always take walks through the resorts and Downtown Disney is always free. Ride around and see where you feel the most comfortable and ask yourself how far is the commute to job, hospitals, schools, shopping, parks, etc. Good Luck and Welcome. :wave:

I would LOVE to do public schools, because private preschool is bad enough!!!

I have been looking on greatschools.org to compare them, but I totally agree that I will have to do the run through to see what fits the best!!! I totally spaced on the hospital thing...That is always good to know!

Thanks again for your help!!!! :wave:

TTATraveler

I would LOVE to do public schools, because private preschool is bad enough!!!

I have been looking on greatschools.org to compare them, but I totally agree that I will have to do the run through to see what fits the best!!! I totally spaced on the hospital thing...That is always good to know!

Thanks again for your help!!!! :wave:

I can tell you that in the West Orange County area (Windermere, Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips) hospital-wise you are looking at Health Central in Ocoee, Dr. Philips Hospital which is part of Orlando Health in Dr. Phillips, and then you have Celebration Health, which is part of Florida Hospital.

In the Baldwin Park area, you are probably looking at Florida Hospital Orlando, ORMC, and Winter Park Hospital (also part of Florida Hospital).

VT GAL

Original Poster
I can tell you that in the West Orange County area (Windermere, Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips) hospital-wise you are looking at Health Central in Ocoee, Dr. Philips Hospital which is part of Orlando Health in Dr. Phillips, and then you have Celebration Health, which is part of Florida Hospital.

In the Baldwin Park area, you are probably looking at Florida Hospital Orlando, ORMC, and Winter Park Hospital (also part of Florida Hospital).

That is awesome information!!!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help!!! :wave:

Shelley

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom