Moving to/for Disney

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm confused, OP. You've mentioned that you're not exactly in love with accounting as a profession. You've got a BS in accounting and are a few credit hours from a BS in business admin. But you're taking a CPA review course as part of your graduate program. So are you simultaneously earning a BS in business admin AND in graduate school? In what discipline? That's a lot of hard core B-school for someone who is more interested in customer service and being a front line CM.

My advice? You need to talk to a career counselor in your college ASAP. Review courses for state CPA exams aren't cheap. The multi-part exam isn't easy, either. Many states don't have reciprocal agreements, so if you pass the exam and get licensed in Kentucky, that license may be void in Florida, so you'd have to sit for Florida's exam.

I'm in agreement with @OneofThree. If you are going to choose accounting as a profession, then sit for your CPA. But don't do that if your goal is to work in a park in an attempt to work your way up in management. Why? Because you will have killed your CV. I, as an employer, would seriously question an applicant with a bachelor's degree in accounting, a professional license (CPA) who's worked as a park CM (and not to help pay for college). Your resume would end up in my trashcan. And CPAs don't accept minimum wage jobs.

Like I said, you need to talk to a career counselor ASAP. Most B-schools have staff to assist graduating students with the very issues you raised. And most also provide recruitment opportunities where students can meet and interview with recruiters for jobs within their major. Mine does. Take advantage of this.

OneofThree

I don't want to turn the forum into some sort of career counseling session, but hopefully some of us can save you a lot of time, money, and potential heartache here. Why would you pursue your CPA, only to become a CM? To expand a bit what @LAKid53 had to offer you, now more than ever employers are sifting through a sea of 2- and 4-year college graduates looking for those who are driven, focused, and perhaps above all passionate and committed to a particular discipline. Your human resources and organizational behavior classes should have explained exactly why this is the case. Your current mode however, communicates a certain degree of confusion and uncertainty. Definitely seek out a career counselor as indicated above.

.02 cents.

lazyboy97o

Many states don't have reciprocal agreements, so if you pass the exam and get licensed in Kentucky, that license may be void in Florida, so you'd have to sit for Florida's exam.
This! In general Florida is not big on professional reciprocity. Just based on a quick search, it seems like CPAs wishing to transfer their license to Florida require additional professional experience in lieu of additional education requirements. So getting certified in Kentucky and then moving right to Florida would be a waste of time, money and effort.

loucards15

Original Poster
I appreciate the thoughtful replies once again guys. The situation is complicated. Something I have made more complicated than it should be. It's hard to explain the whole situation when replying on my phone lol. But I will take your alls advice and pay a visit to my university's career counselor. I do appreciate all the help!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom