Moving to/for Disney

loucards15

Original Poster
Hello guys!

I live in Kentucky and me and my family usually make a few trips down a year to the world. I just graduated from school up here with an accounting degree (not really sure what I want to do with that but that's a story for another time). Recently I have been going back and forth about maybe making the jump down to Central Florida to either work at Disney or at least be close enough to make frequent visits. Obviously I love the world and with each trip I take I become more obsessed with the history and the details of the parks and I think it would be an absolute dream to work there. To cut to the point I was wondering if anyone had any advice on moving from friends and family and taking this leap to Disney/central florida (from reading blogs and watching youtube videos I have noticed this is fairly common). Also if any current or former cast members have any info on how easy it is to move up the chain at Disney when starting as your basic cast member. At this point I would love to do just about anything but wanted to know if its easy to move up. Sorry if this is long winded, in the wrong thread, or hard to read. I wasn't sure how to really word a lot of this. Thanks for any help!

eliza61nyc

So I am of two minds about this. lol I'm going with the assumption that you are in your twenties, that's actually the time I would encourage folks to jump ship and move. A couple of questions, how are you going to live? Have you saved up some dough for rent, downpayment, etc etc.
With an accounting degree I'm also going to assume you don't want to stay in a minimum wage job. Have you researched professional careers at the world?

on the other hand, Disney has a reputation of bad pay and poor advancement. I don't know if this is true or not but I tend to think there is a grain of truth in the rumor. Next, what about you after work life? that is going to be important. Have you researched what life is like in Orlando for a young adult? things to do? easy to meet people? you aren't going to be at work 24/7

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Be prepared for the sticker shock that is Orlando housing.

Have you gone to the Disney company website to see what accounting/finance jobs are available in Orlando? I think you'd do better if you looked into jobs at some of the large accounting firms in Orlando - I know Ernst & Young has a large office in Orlando.

loucards15

Original Poster
So I am of two minds about this. lol I'm going with the assumption that you are in your twenties, that's actually the time I would encourage folks to jump ship and move. A couple of questions, how are you going to live? Have you saved up some dough for rent, downpayment, etc etc.
With an accounting degree I'm also going to assume you don't want to stay in a minimum wage job. Have you researched professional careers at the world?

on the other hand, Disney has a reputation of bad pay and poor advancement. I don't know if this is true or not but I tend to think there is a grain of truth in the rumor. Next, what about you after work life? that is going to be important. Have you researched what life is like in Orlando for a young adult? things to do? easy to meet people? you aren't going to be at work 24/7

Thanks for the response! Yes I am 22 about to turn 23. I have a little saved up so far and have done a little research. This is a thought that I have just began entertaining and this is some of my preliminary research that I am doing. I went to a school just because I was going to play baseball there and ended up getting a degree which I am now finding out that I am not really passionate about. I am thinking about even going back to school but not sure on that. I am just doing some soul searching right now and want to do something I love instead of just chasing the money. That's where the thought of working for Disney comes in. I wouldn't mind starting off minimum wage if I knew I could move up with work. I understand that is not necessarily easy at Disney. I am in a situation financially where I believe I would be okay for a while. From my trips to Disney we have also spent a good amount of time in the Orlando area and it seems to be the type of community that I would enjoy to live in. I also have a long time girlfriend that is finishing up school as well but in early talks with her she seems to support the move if that's what we decide to do in the future. Once again this is early in the process but I was trying to just get the wheels turning in my head about it. I appreciate the thoughtful response!

LAKid53

Premium Member
No one with a bachelor's degree in accounting should ever expect to be offered, much less accept, a position that pays minimum wage. Even if accepting a government accounting position.

That being said, if you got that degree in accounting because someone told you to (think parent), by all means explore returning to school and getting a second degree. We don't need anymore unhappy accountants in the world

loucards15

Original Poster
No one with a bachelor's degree in accounting should ever expect to be offered, much less accept, a position that pays minimum wage. Even if accepting a government accounting position.

That being said, if you got that degree in accounting because someone told you to (think parent), by all means explore returning to school and getting a second degree. We don't need anymore unhappy accountants in the world

I understand. I am a few credit hours away from a bachelors in business management. I like working in customer service and was wanting to look into working my way into management somewhere throughout the company. It is going to take some more research on my end on what would be the best fit for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

lazyboy97o

If you’re looking to extend your vacation experience, then don’t. Too often that motivation really does not work out.

This idea of working your way up at Disney is greatly exaggerated. You shouldn’t intentionally make your life more difficult to work for a single company in a role that is mostly considered disposable.

If you want to put your degree to work, then look for those types of jobs and look beyond just Disney. If you want to continue your education to work in hospitality, then go to a school like Rosen. Most importantly, you need to know what you want and understand Disney will not make that decision for you or make your indecision/concern about the future go away. Too many people think they can escape their problems by running away to the Vacation Kingdom, but they’ll just follow you there.

Tick Tock

If you want to continue your education to work in hospitality, then go to a school like Rosen.
More important than a diploma, for the hospitality industry we need more job candidates with experience, and who are genuinely upbeat & kind to people. Sadly those are becoming too rare a trait. Diplomas are paper. I want to see an applicant walk in who I'm convinced will be just as sincerely cordial and enthusiastic about helping a guest after being here 3 years, as he/she was on day #1. The rest of the stuff, we'll teach you.

Kristamouse

Just waving from KY and tossing out a friendly, C-A-T-S;)
Nonadvice as we are happy here in the Bluegrass state. Good luck on finishing a job and settling somewhere

LAKid53

Premium Member
I understand. I am a few credit hours away from a bachelors in business management. I like working in customer service and was wanting to look into working my way into management somewhere throughout the company. It is going to take some more research on my end on what would be the best fit for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

So you have the possibility of a double degree?If time and finances allow it, I'd finish it.

But if your goal is to work in management within the organization, you need to determine which of Disney's divisions you want to end up in. Unless you want to remain in Parks and Resorts, working at WDW, you need to consider moving west, not further south from Louiseville. Frankly, a degree in hospitality would be more valuable if you wanted to end up managing one of the resorts at WDW or be part of the management team for one of the parks. UCF has a good hospitality program. Which I believe Disney had contributed $$$$ to.

21stamps

You’re young.. pick any spot on a map and move :). Seriously.

However, don’t work for minimum wage. Start sending resumes now before you move.. look for housing options and get rates on car insurance etc., have a plan and go for it! :)

loucards15

Original Poster
If you’re looking to extend your vacation experience, then don’t. Too often that motivation really does not work out.

This idea of working your way up at Disney is greatly exaggerated. You shouldn’t intentionally make your life more difficult to work for a single company in a role that is mostly considered disposable.

If you want to put your degree to work, then look for those types of jobs and look beyond just Disney. If you want to continue your education to work in hospitality, then go to a school like Rosen. Most importantly, you need to know what you want and understand Disney will not make that decision for you or make your indecision/concern about the future go away. Too many people think they can escape their problems by running away to the Vacation Kingdom, but they’ll just follow you there.

Great points. I get that just because I move to Disney doesn't mean all the problems in the world go away. But it's a nice thought! Lol if only it was that easy. It's just something I need to do some thinking about and this was the first thing

loucards15

Original Poster
More important than a diploma, for the hospitality industry we need more job candidates with experience, and who are genuinely upbeat & kind to people. Sadly those are becoming too rare a trait. Diplomas are paper. I want to see an applicant walk in who I'm convinced will be just as sincerely cordial and enthusiastic about helping a guest after being here 3 years, as he/she was on day #1. The rest of the stuff, we'll teach you.

Good stuff. I worked front desk for a hotel a few summers ago and witnessed this first hand. Not a whole lot of sincere people worked with me and the guests could tell. The workplace culture was terrible for the hospitality industry. Thank you for the advice!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom