Moving IASW to EPCOT?!?

Fox&Hound

Original Poster
Hey gang! A few of us were discussing this on another thread, and since I started the tangent, I thought I'd make a real post about it rather than hijacking someone else's topic. So, my question is this:

Do you think they would ever move "It's a Small World" to EPCOT?

I mean, from a thematic stand point, IASW is an entire ride based on different cultures and appreciating the fact that while each individual culture may be different we are all very much the same and sing the same "song". Isn't that what world showcase is all about (and eating and drinking...)? Next, EPCOT is hurting for rides (granted maybe not another boat ride, but still). Third, it seems like Fantasyland is really going for the full immersion effect or Belle's Cottage, Ariel's under the sea ride, Pooh's new facade, and of course, the Mine train ride. The older part of Fantasyland seems to clash with the newer part and with the new Rapunzel bathroom and tower it seems like that space occupied by IASW could make an excellent Rapunzel ride. It gives the newer generation something to enjoy while capitalizing on a newer Disney hit. I can picture a boat ride that shows Rapunzel bored in her tower, Flynn climbing to get in while Maximus searches nearby,Rapunzel tying Flynn up in her hair, the Snugly Duckling scene and song, the lantern scene could be breath taking, and then maybe her reuniting with her parents. And the facade could match the existing area.

I'm not sure where IASW could fit in EPCOT but if they did they could make it look like the Disneyland version with the animal topiaries and outside cue. In Disneyland the building is so large they use it for night time projections like the one they do in the Magic Kingdom. EPCOT could use another show/night time event.

So, do you think it will ever happen? I know that there are plenty of rides people could justify moving due to theming, appeal, or lack of interest (MILF to studios, Autotopia to anywhere besides MK, Nemo Show in AK to EPCOT, etc) and that could be a whole other thread entirely. I just wonder with Disney looking to make Fantasyland more cohesive, the Tangled area is a little sad for the blockbuster that it was, it just seems like it could work.

Think it would ever happen or is is sacrilegious to even suggest moving IASW out of the Magic Kingdom??? Thanks for reading!

Cmdr_Crimson

How about.......no! You have the Gran Fiesta Tour with the 3 Caballeros. It's about as close to it.
7940740818_9a750bb672.jpg

copcarguyp71

It is not a bad idea that would open up a nice piece of real estate for a good dark ride in FL and IASWwould work great in WS but I would imagine it would be totally cost prohibitive. One of those ideas that would work in a perfect world but there is NO WAY that TDO would ever give the green light to what I am sure they would see as a "lateral" move that in no way increases the bottom line or encourages John Q parkgoer to spend more of the college fund.

Figaro928

I both agree and disagree.

While I fully agree with everything said - cohesive immersive FL, cohesive Epcot, a needed Epcot attraction, a needed Tangled ride etc. I have mixed feeling in that you don't mess with Uncle Walt's World. It's one of the originals and does feel a little sacrilege

Figaro928

They do have plenty of space in EPCOT - - maybe where the abandoned restaurant is (name?) they could even make it a pavilion easily where you'd learn about other cultures not included in the WS

It would not fit in EPCOT, where is the kids land? MK is where the kiddie land is.

Kids Land in Epcot? Most of Innoventions, JITO, Seas with Nemo, Three Cabelleros, KidCot, M&G's everywhere . Maybe the EPCOT on the 80's and early 90's wasn't a kid land... but it's sure heading that way!!!

loveofamouse

while it would make sense on paper, it wouldn't make sense financially or logistically. I truly believe some of the props in IASW wouldn't make the move because of age. Personally, I like that our facade is inside compared to DL.

Tom

Beta Return
IASW is a Magic Kingdom classic. It belongs in the Magic Kingdom.

If they ever wanted to move the ride, it would just fall apart. The sets are giant plywood walls and platforms. It would be like a puzzle to put it back together if it did survive a move.

Epcot needs original D and E-ticket rides and attractions, not relocated C-tickets.

jdmdisney99

IASW is a Magic Kingdom classic. It belongs in the Magic Kingdom.

If they ever wanted to move the ride, it would just fall apart. The sets are giant plywood walls and platforms. It would be like a puzzle to put it back together if it did survive a move.

Epcot needs original D and E-ticket rides and attractions, not relocated C-tickets.
Tom's right. All I think small world needs is a new facade and a heavily refurbished, and charming loading area.

But if the best idea I've seen for integrating a Tangled ride came from our own @TRF on his blog, www.themeparkplanning.blogspot.com

He moved PPF to be updated and put next to Alice and Tangled moved in. All great stuff from him, check it out.

ParkMan73

Interesting idea

As I see it, Epcot's attractions are geared towards older audiences. Sure - there are some things that stretch this (Three Caballeros, Imagination). IASW is charming, but comes in too "youthful".

An interesting offshoot of this would be an attraction that captures the concept - but in a more Epcot way. It could serve as a gateway to World Showcase - maybe where the Odyssey is. Perhaps it could even subtly capture some of the IASW charm in the design.

champdisney

Great idea but would be extremely complicated to move unless they can start anew by building a proper/big enough space for it (Wonders of Life?) and build new set pieces. The AA's/dolls/brainwashed children can be moved, but all else would have to be freshly new again.

mm121

not sure where your proposing it be built at epcot, but its a mk classic..

rather than moving IASW, adding some of the already rumored/proposed in the past attractions to the world showcase would be a much better idea.

as things currently stand the majority of the world showcase nations are lacking a real attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom