Movies that should be added to The Great Movie Ride

Chef Mickey

Adding movies is more complex than just picking the ones you'd like to see. They can't portray whatever movie they feel like.

Matt_Black

Indeed. There's licensing and what have you. I think considering any future MGM titles are out. Most likely, I'd think if you were to see any non-Disney movie added, the most likely studio to sign off on it would be FOX, as they seem to have a decent working relationship with Disney, at least compared to other big companies.

Animaniac93-98

The current mix of movies is strong enough as is in terms of both quality and variety. It's more important now to upgrade the AAs and effects.

Let's leave it to Universal to turn whatever's blockbuster-of-the-month into rides.

I would love to see a Star Wars scene in the ride. Maybe they can do the Luke and Darth Vader fight from the original movie (which would be the most likely scene, since it's one of the most memorable scenes from Star Wars). Another good scene to do to reprensent Star Wars would be the Battle of Naboo from The Phantom Menace. Like the Wizard of Oz scene, it could consist of two rooms: one with the Gungans and battle droids fighting, and another with the lightsaber battle with Darth Maul.
Another thread with a similar "What movies would you add to the ride?" question had a suggestion of the Time Warp scene from The Rocky Horror Picture Show to the ride. That is a great idea, but Universal Studios had a show based on the movie for Halloween Horror Nights, so I think it would be more likely for Universal to do a Rocky Horror dark ride (I have a whole idea for a themed Rocky Horror land at Universal, which I may share in another thread) than for a Rocky Horror scene to be in The Great Movie Ride!

However, I think the ride is perfect the way it is. As long is they keep updating the ending video and narration for the actual ride, the ride will be successful.

danitaytay

I would love to see a Marvel film in there especially because Disney has the rights to them. I feel like they can do so much with the animatronics nowadays especially given how advanced the Frozen Ever After animatronics are. I'm also a huge Marvel nerd though, so I'm a bit biased ;)

JiminyandTink

Not that they could actually add any of these, but I would love a Back to the Future scene... E.T. and Gremlins would be cool too...

...of course it all ends with an epic Weekend at Bernie's final scene :D

Princess Leia

The AAs really would need a boost before they would think about adding a scene. Especially since each scene serves a purpose. First you have musicals (I would love it if they could finally fix the Footlight Parade sequence), then gangsters (Public Enemy, where you might run into Mugsy/i), then Westerns (Eastwood & Wayne, enter Kate Durango or Kid Carson), then sci-fi (though it only focuses on Alien). Raiders fulfills the Adventure requirement, but after that, the Horror segment seems pretty lacking, since it isn't tied to a specific movie (yes there are mummies, but no well-known characters). Tarzan and Casablanca desperately need new AAs, but they'll probably stay as well (if they both couldn't stay, then it'd be Tarzan that would leave). There's the Fantasia segment, which doesn't really have much going on, and then it's off to Oz.

If anything was to be changed outside of new AAs, it would have to be after Toy Story Land arrives, because the park can't have another attraction down right now. Alien kind of fits the horror trope as well, but if they wanted to add a new horror scene, it would have to be something outside of Universal's classic horror films... Which doesn't leave a whole lot, unless Scream or Saw joined the ride. Even though I think Titanic is grossly overrated, I could see it maybe being added where Tarzan is, or where Fantasia is. But, the scene would be pretty similar to Casablanca.

As much as I would love an Avengers scene (Tarzan would have the most room), I think the contract with Universal shuts the door on it. There wouldn't be a need for Star Wars since it's getting its own massive part of the park.

These are the top 30 grossing films:
  1. Avatar
  2. Titanic
  3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Jurassic World
  5. The Avengers
  6. Furious 7
  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
  9. Frozen
  10. Iron Man 3
  11. Minions
  12. Captain America: Civil War
  13. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
  14. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
  15. Skyfall
  16. Transformers: Age of Extinction
  17. The Dark Knight Rises
  18. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  19. Toy Story 3
  20. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  21. Jurassic Park
  22. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
  23. Alice in Wonderland
  24. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  25. Zootopia
  26. The Dark Knight
  27. HP and the Philosopher's Stone
  28. Despicable Me 2
  29. The Lion King
  30. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
All that are bolded are Universal properties (or in HP's case, represented at Universal), and cannot be used. Those that are highlighted already (or will) have a presence at the WDW parks.
This is what we have left:
  • Titanic
  • Marvel properties
  • Lord of the Rings films
  • Batman
  • James Bond
  • Zootopia
Zootopia is too new, and we don't know what the lasting impact of it is yet. LOTR might be too grand to shoehorn into the ride, but... imagine a scene with Sam, Frodo, and an amazing Gollum AA. Disney won't touch Batman, since he belongs to DC. They probably can't use Marvel (though it would be great to see that New York scene with the 6 Avengers getting ready for battle). Bond could probably be the most readily available. They'd have to decide which incarnation to use (though my bet would be on Connery, Craig, or whoever the new Bond will be in 4 years), but they don't have a spy category in the ride.

If I had to pick a movie series to replace, and one to include, I guess it would have to be Tarzan, then Bond, though my wish fulfillment is Avengers.

Whoops, didn't mean for this to go so long.

Matt_Black

Disney won't touch Batman, since he belongs to DC.

There is some Batman represented around DHS- remember, that show was a big hit for ABC. Also, even after they bought Marvel, they weren't shy about displaying the Superman cape on the Backlot Tour or using the Donner film in the GMR montage.

jloucks

Simpsons would be good, but I'm not sure that could ever happen.

Avatar obviously, but that could be up redundant.

Princess Leia

There is some Batman represented around DHS- remember, that show was a big hit for ABC. Also, even after they bought Marvel, they weren't shy about displaying the Superman cape on the Backlot Tour or using the Donner film in the GMR montage.

I actually didn't know that ABC was the one who had the Batman show. Interesting! With WB trying to have a film universe around the Justice League right now, I don't think Disney would try to promote it, even in a past incarnation.

Matt_Black

I actually didn't know that ABC was the one who had the Batman show. Interesting! With WB trying to have a film universe around the Justice League right now, I don't think Disney would try to promote it, even in a past incarnation.

Yeah, the Batman show is a bit of a mess, which is why it took so long to get on DVD. FOX made the show, but WB owns the character, so for years there was a bit of tension between the two.

Anyway, the Batman theme is one of the many TV theme songs playing in the ABC Commissary. There was also memorabilia over at Sid Cahuenga's.

Princess Leia

If you take the Highest-grossing films in terms of inflation, I'm still not positive you could really use anything that would bring a 'new' perspective other than Titanic.
  1. Gone with the Wind
  2. Avatar
  3. Star Wars
  4. Titanic
  5. Sound of Music
  6. ET
  7. Ten Commandments
  8. Doctor Zhivago
  9. Jaws
  10. Snow White
Sound of Music would be nice, but would it be redundant with Wizard of Oz so soon after (and that would mean that Julie Andrews would have a double presence in the ride if they kept Mary Poppins)? Actually. If you took out the Mary Poppins scene, you could add a modern musical, like Into the Woods or Phantom of the Opera (thought about Les Mis, but it's owned by Universal)... or, depending on when a revamp of this ride happens, In the Heights (Universal dropped the rights, so Weinstein is picking it up).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom