Movies credited to disney that should not be

NOLADisneyFan

Original Poster
Whoa! I am a little annoyed...

I consider myself a disney purist...

so I want accurate movie credits, etc....

I was just listening to "live365" station "disney magic"...usually pretty good...nice mix of the soundtracks with park music...overall great...

BUT!

I just heard something from the movie Anastasia...and from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (crediting it to Mary Poppins)...now I may be mistaken....but neither of those are from Disney....boy it really aggravates me...

Oh well, my rant is over...

Have a good day...

Johnny

Aurora_25

As far as I know- Anastasia isn't Disney, but Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is.

Edited because I looked it up :) Anastasia was produced by 20th Century Fox
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was produced by MGM- Which Disney Owned at the time (I believe....)

peter11435

Aurora_25 said:
As far as I know- Anastasia isn't Disney, but Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is.

Edited because I looked it up :) Anastasia was produced by 20th Century Fox
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was produced by MGM- Which Disney Owned at the time (I believe....)
Neither are Disney films, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is an Mgm/United Artists Film. Disney never owned MGM.

dizknee

If you go on a peer to peer site and type DISNEY MUSIC, you will get loads of non-disney stuff.

Anastasia
Shrek
Prince of Egypt
An American Tail
Spirit
...and the list goes on.

Granted these movies aren't bad but they are NOT DISNEY.

Laura

Premium Member
Is Land Before Time a Disney movie? We rent them all the time (son loves dinosaurs) and the intros always say "universal", but yet I've seen Land Before Time played on the Disney channel. This has confused me for a while now! Why would Disney play a Universal film?

General Grizz

Nope, Disney did not create Land Before Time. You'll also see Stuart Little and Harry Potter on Disney... but we have our friends at Dreamworks and WB to thank for those. :D

bauton

Disney Store

That was the question we as cast members loved the most. When a guest would come into the store and ask where our Shrek, or Anastasia section was. We also got alot of people looking for Wizard of Oz, especially around Halloween.

CaliSurfer182

If I was Disney (of course I am personifying the company) I would take these credits as a compliment. I mean if you think about it most of those movies are great movies, and the reason that they keep being associated with Disney is because it is assumed only Disney can create something that wonderful and magical.

I would think that should be a huge compliment!

Of course when I am trying to get factual information about Disney movies it does annoy me to find these movies credited to Disney. People need to do the proper research.

On another side note I was looking at all of my movies and I know Buena Vista distributes the touchstone movies. My question is when did Disney buy touchstone or did they create it? And if Disney bought Touchstone........do all of the touchstone movie count as Disney movies now even the one that pre-dated the sale? Also why don't they mark the side of the dvd case with Disney DVD when most of us know who Buena Vista is?

Basically, most movies that are "kid-friendly" (and usually animated) are lumped into the Disney category. Well, I would consider it a compliment towards Disney since they are crediting Disney with creating the genre...

Woody13

CaliSurfer182 said:
On another side note I was looking at all of my movies and I know Buena Vista distributes the touchstone movies. My question is when did Disney buy touchstone or did they create it? And if Disney bought Touchstone........do all of the touchstone movie count as Disney movies now even the one that pre-dated the sale? Also why don't they mark the side of the dvd case with Disney DVD when most of us know who Buena Vista is?
The Walt Disney Company created Touchstone Pictures in 1984 so that they could make more adult oriented films and they didn't want to associate the Disney name with such films.

"Moviemaking was changing in America in the early 1980s. Audiences were diminishing for the family films that had been the mainstay of the company for many years, and Disney was not meeting the competition for films that attracted the huge teenage and adult market. To reverse that trend, Disney established a new label, Touchstone Pictures, with the release of Splash in 1984."

Number_6

It's the same type of thing with Miramax. When you release more adult themed fare you don't want to be saying things like "Own Kill Bill Vol 1 today on Disney DVD."

TheOneVader

Number_6 said:
It's the same type of thing with Miramax. When you release more adult themed fare you don't want to be saying things like "Own Kill Bill Vol 1 today on Disney DVD."

Otherwise people would say, "Where's Kill Bill Land?" when at MK. :p

LoisMustDie

adamthegetupkid said:
Basically, most movies that are "kid-friendly" (and usually animated) are lumped into the Disney category. Well, I would consider it a compliment towards Disney since they are crediting Disney with creating the genre...
This is what I've observed as well. Seemingly every animated movie is credited to Disney, no matter how bad. I recently overheard a conversation at the movie theater where two people were talking about some really obscure animated movie (Fern Gully or Rock a' Doodle or some other disgrace) and labeled it "a bad Disney movie." Needless to say, I was quite incensed.

CaliSurfer182

I have a new question this time I did a little research. I know that the Weinstein's created Miramax and named it after their parents, and then Disney came in and bought it. My question is do the previous movies become Disney movies or no? I mean I understand Disney would own them because they would be part of the library, but would they be considered Disney's? Also if Disney decided to dowsize some more and drop a company like Touchstone or Miramax would these still be considered Disney movies?

LoisMustDie

CaliSurfer182 said:
I have a new question this time I did a little research. I know that the Weinstein's created Miramax and named it after their parents, and then Disney came in and bought it. My question is do the previous movies become Disney movies or no? I mean I understand Disney would own them because they would be part of the library, but would they be considered Disney's? Also if Disney decided to dowsize some more and drop a company like Touchstone or Miramax would these still be considered Disney movies?
Since Disney distributed them at the time they were made, then they own all coprights, merchandising rights, etc. So yes, the movies made by Touchstone and Miramax would be Disney's while Disney owned them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom