movie about Walt?

Dragonrider1227

I thought the same thing, but as a musical. I was watching Barnum starring Michael Crawford and thought it would be neat if they did a play about Walt in that kind of format. I also thought that if it was still the 80s i'd say Michael Crawford for Walt. ;)

Dragonrider1227

CaliSurfer182 said:
I think Mr. Depp could play a very interesting Walt Disney.
He could. Man, i'd like to see that. Even more, i'd like to see my older sister watching it because she has the HUGE hots for Depp and she'd proboly find it awkward being turned on by him as he played "Uncle Walt."

Figment571

Badger Brent said:
I think it would be a great idea also. They made the movie about the life and times of Howard Hugh's. The Aviator got good reviews. As long as it's done right, I would love to see it done. I'm guessing Tim Burton would not be directing it though!! :lol: I'm guessing one of the disney entertainment companies could easliy do it. But how far do you take the movie?? Until his death would seem obvious. But so much was done after his death, it would be a shame not to show his final thoughts played out on screen. Maybe end it with opening of WDW and his brothers dedication speech. I wonder how much of the downtimes would be brought up in the movie?

Ahh, he made Ed Wood,But Mr. Burton is making a bio of the Ripley Belive it or not guy with Jim Carey and if that did well........ no Burton wouldn't make a bio picc about Disney.

ctwhalerman

Walt's life was simply too eventful for a biopic. Take a look at The Aviator. It only covers about 20 years in the life of Howard Hughes, and does not even cover the the more famous stuff, like the tissue boxes and bottles of urine. For a movie to be made about Walt, many, many things would have to be left out of the movie, or it would have to be an Aviator-like movie where it just concentrates on a few years of his life, and where the audience knows what happens after the film is over.

A film about his early years growing up, going to Europe, working in Kansas City, and failing in his first studio might make a very good film, as we all know how Walt turned out. But studios today are much to fearful of audience reaction, especially to a film about an American icon. Imagine the response just here on these boards if they cut corners in the film or changed some of the facts. And unless Disney made the picture, it would be much to hard to clear all the rights issues.

The only biopics that seem to work in today's tepid Hollywood are of troubled singers, as they all seem to include a rise, a fall, and a happy ending. Ray, Walk the Line, even going all the way back to Coal Miner's Daughter, all of these films are pleasing to the public because of their universal stories and the music present. Serious biopics, like Kinsey and Capote were excellent films, but did not make any serious money. And the costs associated with a Walt film would be very prohibitive, considering non-musical biopics tend to not make a lot of money (The Aviator did not fare well at the box office). The only time serious biopics were made of famous people were the 1930s, when a whole load of them were made on everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Thomas Edison. Studios just don't like to make many anymore.

I'll end my rant by saying that Walt may be too big for a movie. His life is so famous that everyone would be criticizing something. Perhaps a mini-series would work, but Walt right now is one of those people, like George Washington, who will never have a biopic made of them, as they are simply too big for the screen. (A mini-series, however, is anyone's guess.)

Maybe in 50 years someone will do to Walt what they did to Mozart. Realize the factual life is not suited to a film, and just invent a story based on gossip and hearsay. And if it's anything like Amadeus, it should be a great film. Just as long as it's not a Mommie Dearest...

steviej

when I thought of who could play Walt, Michael Imperioli (Christopher) of the Sopranos came to mind. put a moustache on him and he looks like a young Walt, imo at least.

I've long thought that a biopic of Walt would make for a great film. It would be problematic, however, for the reasons already mentioned.

But still...Ernest Rister did a fascinating article called "Citizen Walt." I don't know if it's still online. But he claimed that Walt was a severely abused child and that this fact was the engine of much of his work. Gives a different spin to all those absent parents in Disney movies, no? Even if we simply say that the turn of the century was an era of "spare the rod and spoil the child," it sounds to me as if Elias Disney was quite harsh even by those standards. It's why I choked up a bit at that commercial of a few years back that depicted a pair of turn-of-the-century parents coming into their sleeping son's bedroom and admiring his drawings. It ended with the father saying, gently, "Goodnight, Walt." As sweet as the commercial was, it sounds to me that Elias was never that supportive of his son's ambitions.

Ernest's article also tied all this in with the fact that "Feed the Birds" was the only song in a Disney movie that ever made Walt cry. That a song about showing kindness to those so much smaller and weaker than you should have hit such a chord with Walt...well, it says something...

So...maybe something like this...maybe it could depict the construction of Main Street USA, which depicts small-town turn-of-the-century life as idyllic, as sort of Walt's way of making peace with his past?

Ree: Movie About Walt?

As far as I know, there never has been a movie about Walt, as such, but the man has been potrayed in films before. Once when he was still alive.

1944 Walter Fenner in "Once Upon a Time"

1995 Len Cariou in the TV movie "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes: the Annette Funicello Story"

1999 Roger Allam in the TV movie "RKO281."

The only one I have seen is Len Cariou's portrayal, and if they ever do a film about Walt, official or unofficial, they ought to get Len Cariou to play Walt again. The man's portrayal of Walt was uncanny. He even sounded like Walt.

khelinski

I picked up a book long ago called HOLLYWOOD'S DARK PRINCE, that show's an anti-Disney look at Uncle Walt. I could see a HBO production around it. But it will never happen...:rolleyes:

mickster

The only one I have seen is Len Cariou's portrayal, and if they ever do a film about Walt, official or unofficial, they ought to get Len Cariou to play Walt again. The man's portrayal of Walt was uncanny. He even sounded like Walt.

I saw that movie too and I don't know that I'd go so far as to describe Cariou's performance of Walt as "uncanny".

The part of the movie that I got a kick out of was when they were in Walt's office and there was a model of Spaceship Earth on the desk. Of course, Spaceship Earth wasn't even close to being in the planning when Walt was still alive. None of the drawings or models of Walt's Epcot had anything remotely resembling it. :lol:

Jesùs_Carioca

There is a DVD out called "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth." It's a documentary about his life and all. If you're on disney property, you can actually buy this dvd at many of the stores that sell dvd's, otherwise, do a google search and you can find lots of sites selling it.

Amazingly enough, i JUST saw that movie tonight at my friends house. She works at "Once Upon a Toy" at Downtown Disney, and she was able to borrow a copy so we could see it. It was AMAZING. I could care less if it were sugar coated or not, but jeeze...it epitomizes the man, it really does.

But i know it's not necissarily a "Disney Movie" more than it is just a documentary...still though, it's the closest there is now adays i guess? Haha, you won't regret it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom